Gem tips

Robbiesox15

Hi all! We are going on our first NCl cruise on the Gem this saturday. We have cruised RC, Princess and Carnival. We are a family with a 5yo DS and 2 year old DD. Looking for your best tips and secrets for us. Also what is open for lunch on embarkation day. TIA!!! (going to Port Canaveral, GSC and nassau)

Hi all! We are going on our first NCl cruise on the Gem this saturday. We have cruised RC, Princess and Carnival. We are a family with a 5yo DS and 2 year old DD. Looking for your best tips and secrets for us. Also what is open for lunch on embarkation day. TIA!!! (going to Port Canaveral, GSC and nassau)

The regulars here will always suggest going to the Main Dining Room MDR when you get onboard. Have a decent quiet lunch before heading to cabin.

There are lots of ideas and suggestion posted here. Scroll back through some postings for anything GEM specific. She is the newest sister ship of the Jewel, Pearl, Jade though the Jewel just had some restaurant changes.

Enjoy.

The main dining room is on deck 7 (the deck you'll board). Just head to the stern of the ship; just before Bliss lounge turn right and go down a flight of steps. The dining room is beautiful with windows on 3 sides.

NCL's buffet is very good too IMO. I think The Blue Lagoon is also open for lunch.

Don't forget about The Great Outdoors--deck 12 all the way aft. You can get your buffet food and sit out there and sometimes there is food served there as well (buffet style).

The Spinnaker Lounge is another very cool place--deck 13 forward.

have fun. I love the Gem.

Hi Robbie ! DH and I are on this cruise with you. You should take the time to wonder over to the kids club and register your five yr old on embarkation day. Just in case he decides he wants to play there at some point. It will save you time later.

There is a roll call going for this cruise but not an official meet and greet. At least not yet.

Happy sailing!

Just got off the Gem last week. Great ship, dining was great as well as Kid's Club. We ate breakfast every day at the Great Outdoors - delightful, with an omelette station. Weather was great, even when it got hot - never had an issue finding a table. This is where we ate lunch when we got on the ship, right around 1 PM. We ate late night snacks here every night also - the Spurs were playing the Heat, we would catch some of the game down in the atrium on the big screen, then watch the fourth quarter on the Great Outdoors Sports Bar area - pretty cool! This is where a lot of the staff goes too, which was cool for my eleven year old - she was in the Kids Club from 7-10 PM every night (we would eat with here earlier, then have those three hours every night for us to shop, catch a show), and then we we would go to the Great Outdoors with her after picking her up. She often saw kids she played with earlier, and even some of the Kids Club Staff would go there for their meal.

Here's a few tips:

Catch the sea day after Atlantis (way back to NY) show in the Stardust theater, and have your camera ready. Dan Dan and the entire rest of the crew come up on stage for a really cool farewell moment, and the entire crew does the "Norwegian Dance" - pretty awesome spectacle! Also, the day after Atlantis (same day!), make sure you're in the pool area during the afternoon. Really good Nickelodeon games for the kids, and again a ton of people dancing the Norwegian song and dance - really awesome photo opportunities!

First night at Sea is Surf and Turf, don't miss the lobster!

Bring socks for the kids if you want to bowl. They have to wear socks with the shoes.

The lunches that are served right on the pool deck are awesome. Great food and presentation. Hot dogs and burgers also served every day on the pool deck, with the Garden Café only a few steps away also.

Some things Kids Club did: Pirate Night, Pajama Night, Fairy Princess for the little girls, Spy Night, Outside Day where the kids played dodgeball, volleyball, etc. Make sure you have sneakers for your kids that day - it sucked having to go back to the room. I found the Kids Club staff to be ridiculously efficient and friendly. Almost over the top friendly. They were great - Jingle especially stood out. She was awesome. And, it was cool to see my daughter singing pirate songs walking the halls of the shops and theaters as we were leaving a show - she was really into it and having a great time.

Shows: Chip Romero was funny and his skill was very good, even if his tricks are common magician trips. He did a really cool shout out to Doug Henning one night. Jeff Arms is just a good guy, and a clean comedian. Kid friendly for sure. The 70's Show was really good if you're 30 or older - I loved it. Favorite show of my cruise. Didn't care for the White Hot Party - too young for my mid 40's age group. Some rude cruisers validated my decision to leave that party early on - just drunk and disorderly. No need to get riled up on a cruise!

Lunch on Grand Stirrup Cay was really good, different food than the ship - nice!

That's it - have fun - hope this wasn't information overload!

:)

Thanks! I didn't know that the MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day. Definitely will go!

Lots of folks are unaware of this, and the staff does not encourage it when yo board. Herd everyone to the buffet is the norm.

The regulars point this out often to folks here.

Was on the gem last July with my family including son who was just about 2 yrs old. They have a special play area for the little ones. It's not a big area but they put different toys out each day. It's mostly unstaffed so you can't leave your child. But once or twice a day they have an activity run by one of the kids club staff.

It's a little hidden, past the kid pool area. Right before you get to regular kids club.

have a great trip.

Can anyone tell me if the staff at the Kids Club in included in the prepaid gratuities or are you supposed to tip them separately and if so, how much would be appropriate? Thanks in advance!

Can anyone tell me if the staff at the Kids Club in included in the prepaid gratuities or are you supposed to tip them separately and if so, how much would be appropriate? Thanks in advance!

They are not included. I would give maybe $5 per day. $20 minimum for the cruise. Per family not per kid

There are lots if kids thus lots if tipping parents and they are paid.

After lunch in the main dining room (which IMO is the prettier of the 2 gratis dining rooms), either go outside if good weather or up to the Spinnaker Lounge for sailaway to view the sights & Statute of Liberty on your way out to sea.

When you get to your cabin, ask steward to unlock the refrig & remove

the pay-for items so that you can stash what you wish in the refrig.

Oh, don't forget your safe combo that you key in as I did in my early days (had to call front desk - embarrassing!)

Hi all! We are going on our first NCl cruise on the Gem this saturday. We have cruised RC, Princess and Carnival. We are a family with a 5yo DS and 2 year old DD. Looking for your best tips and secrets for us. Also what is open for lunch on embarkation day. TIA!!! (going to Port Canaveral, GSC and nassau)[/i

Have fun Ill be on the same sailing! Can't wait for tomorrow! I wish there was a roll call/meet and greet. I'm soooo excited and wondering the same things!!

Hi all! We are going on our first NCl cruise on the Gem this saturday. We have cruised RC, Princess and Carnival. We are a family with a 5yo DS and 2 year old DD. Looking for your best tips and secrets for us. Also what is open for lunch on embarkation day. TIA!!! (going to Port Canaveral, GSC and nassau)[/i

Have fun Ill be on the same sailing! Can't wait for tomorrow! I wish there was a roll call/meet and greet. I'm soooo excited and wondering the same things!!

Hi,

I posted this on the Gem Roll Call board yesterday -- May not have seen it.

--

Hope everyone has a good ride/flight in. Did not see any responses about unofficial meet and greet. We are going to try to be at the great outdoors around 4 pm. Wil be wearing orange. Go Holland!!. If I can get a area/table/ near the bar I will put out ROLL CALL sign. To happy cruising!!! Bob & Gretta

Be sure to catch The Second City if you're in to improv. The cast on board right now is pretty awesome* and I've never been disappointed by a Second City show on NCL

*Slightly biased because I took 4 summers of improv classes with one of the current cast members. Jules is pretty awesome

Edited by TravelDiva88

Ok I have no tips;) but take notes and come back and give more tips! I sail on the gem in December!!!!

Ok a question if anyone knows...gem is going thru a dry dock before I get on her will I still be able to go up to the spinnaker lounge for sail away? I think they are getting rid of that? Or is it the star bar they are getting rid of? I get confused!!! Just planning on not great weather since it will be December :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ok I have no tips;) but take notes and come back and give more tips! I sail on the gem in December!!!!

Ok a question if anyone knows...gem is going thru a dry dock before I get on her will I still be able to go up to the spinnaker lounge for sail away? I think they are getting rid of that? Or is it the star bar they are getting rid of? I get confused!!! Just planning on not great weather since it will be December :)

I'm no expert but as far as I have heard/read researched they are NOT touching the Spinnaker Lounge as some keep asking about. They are re-doing Blue Lagoon - making it O'Sheehan's, and expanding into what is now Moderno - making one larger space. and then will relocate Moderno into a section of the Cagney's Restaurant and Star Bar. So not to worry! :)

Check this press release

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_051514

this is what was done to the Jewel last may when she was drydock. Ipresume this is the same transformation for the Gem