3 day paris trip pre cruise..questions

itsanita

We will be in Paris for 3 days pre cruise. This is our first trip to Paris. I have read so much on these boards (my thanks to all) and have come up with a tentative plan/itinerary. I have almost as much fun planning as enjoying the actual trip!! I am trying to map out a plan, realizing that we may tweak it due to weather etc. We love to walk, but realize that we may need to use the metro to save a little time, but hope to try and avoid if possible. We were thinking of the 2 day Metro Pass…includes metro and entrance to many of the places we would like to visit…with ‘skip the lines’ at some of them. I have been reading pro and cons to this idea. I priced out buying admissions on our own (some on line) and using the 10 ride ticket, or the Mobilis Pass vs the Metro Pass and it comes out pretty close in price. Since we have only 2 1/2 days, whatever ends up sounding easier with less stress might be the deciding factor.

We will arrive at CDG airport around 11am Sunday morning. We will buy tickets for the RER B train, getting off at Saint Michel/Norte-Dame station. We already have a room at the hotel Le Regent (unless we find something else). We found good reviews for this hotel, free Wi-Fi and daily breakfast is included. We did book the ‘deluxe’ room that we were told was a little bigger. It is in Saint-Germain-des-Prés area, left bank (Latin Quarter?). We are not sure how far the walk is from the station to the hotel, we will either walk or get a cab. After checking in /or at least leaving out luggage, we plan to take the metro to Montmartre and spend the late afternoon/early evening in that area, including walking/train/funicular Sacre Coeur. As jet lag will eventually catch up with us…we will stay until we can’t keep our eyes open and then head back to the hotel via the metro.

Day 2 We would begin our day walking to Notre Dame. If we do buy the Paris Pass… we would then use the HOHO for a tour around the city. Listening to the history and learning about what we are seeing. Once that is done we will then either use the HOHO/walk/Metro to visit the other sites on our ‘list’. Musee d’Orsay (skip the lines), Opera Garnier, Louve (skip the lines), the Champs-Elysees and ending with the Arc de Triomphe. With the Paris Pass, if anything else catches our eye, and we have the time, we can stop in at no additional charge.

Day 3 We will take Metro (or walk depending on distance) to the RER line C for our trip to Versailles. Entrance is included in the Metro Pass, but as it is in Zone 5, we will need to purchase a r/t ticket. I am not sure how long we would stay, but on returning to Paris, we would do the river cruise from the foot of the Eiffel Tower and the Behind the Scenes Tour with Cultival that we will purchase online ahead of time. The next morning we will take the metro/train/cab to Gare du Nord to catch the Eurostar to London (where we will spend another 3 days before going to Southampton for the cruise.)

Ok, here are my questions: If we bought 10 ticket packet for the Metro, can my DH and I share those 10 tickets?

If we do buy the Metro pass, is it better to buy before we leave on line, or buy when we get to Paris. If we buy in Paris, where do we get one? In the airport?

Suggestions for someplace to have an early dinner in Montmartre?

How long does it take to see Versailles? 4-6 hours? I welcome any comments, suggestions, opinions etc.

I love your excitement as well as love Paris. Your itinerary for day 2 could be spread over day 3 also so that you actually get to see some of the contents/art in the Louvre & d'orsay. Perhaps you could visit Notre Dame before Montmatre?

There is a wonderful Metro line from the louvre to the various regions of the Champs, ending at Etoile. I strongly encourage you to utilize the metro....there still will be plenty of walking to do! Yes, the 10 tickets can be shared. You might wish to check when English speaking tours of the d'Orsay & Louvre are given...and ditto for the Opera Garnier.

Have a wonderful trip.

Be careful when you take the train to Versailles that you are going the right way. We asked people on the platform when the train came in and they all said it was the correct one. Turn out it was not and we did not notice it was wrong for a number of stops since the first stops are the same. Wound up missing the guided tour that I had booked

BONJOUR!

We can't wait to once again spend a few days in Paris before our cruise this Fall! It really was one of the highlights of our first trip to Europe and have been looking forward to returning since then!

The best suggestion I can make is to take the HOHO bus onthe FIRST day you get there! With the possibility of jet lag, it was great to be able to see the highlights of Paris from the comfort of the bus seat! The headsets are great and gave us a fantastic overview of the city. it made it so easy for us to find our way back to places over the next few days.

The only time we took the train was to go to Disneyland Paris one day. Otherwise, we used our 2-day HOHO and walked everywhere!

For our trip to Versaille, we did a bike tour and the tour company took care of everything for us - from train to Versailles, to bike delivery, to tour of Versailles, and transport back to our hotel! Could not have been easier!

This time we're goign to skip the museums and spend more time going back to places we had to hurry through last time.

Whatever you decide, you're going to have a GREAT time in Paris! There's so much to do, you can never do it all, so just male notes of things you want to see NEXT time you visit! ;)

We will be in Paris for 3 days pre cruise...

Suggestions for someplace to have an early dinner in Montmartre?

La Cantine de la Cigale

124 boulevard de Rouchechouart

18th Arrondissemont

This is a casual brasserie with continuous service from 8:00 AM until 2:00 AM so you can get an early dinner. The menu is a mixture of Basque small plates and classic bistro dishes (e.g. assorted terrines and hangar steak with red wine sauce).

Here's the link to the restaurant: http://www.cantinelacigale.fr/en.html

Well, you certainly have done your planning. Last month we spent a week (in a rented apartment) in St Germain des Pres and do love that neighborhood. Paris has long been DWs favorite city in the world, and she says that having visited nearly 100 countries and an awful lot of cities.

My advice is to certainly know your options (sounds like you have done that) and be flexible. Not sure why you have this thing about spending time, and eating in Montmartre, but you may well find that having visited the area to go to Sacre Coeur you will not want to return for dinner. There are plenty of cute reasonable cafes in your arrondisement (neighborhood) and we find Montmartre to be over romanticized and underwhelming (although we do recommend the views from Sacre Coeur. There are a bunch of popular reasonably priced restaurants (especially if you stick to the "menus") near the St Michael Metro Station ....if you walk along the Rue St Andre des Artes. Many of the restaurants in this area are popular with both locals and tourists so can be really packed on Fri and Sat nights. But things will quiet down (somewhat) on Sun-Wed.

Keep in mind that in Montmartre you will find an awful lot of places closed on Sunday. The Marais area is a better Sunday because many of their small shops are open (and we just love that part of Paris). Oh, and by the way, the Musee D'Orsay is closed on Mondays...so you need to alter your plans. And if you do get the Paris Pass, and happen to be walking in the area of the Orangerie (closed on Tuesday), do make a quick trip into that museum so you can admire the amazing Monet Water Lilly Murals (you can rush through this in a half hour). Monet did these paintings on the walls of that museum and its a "do not miss" for Monet fans.

Hank

Your museum plans are really going to stretch your time. The Musee d'Orsay is one of my 2 favorite museums in the world (the British Museum is the other) and it will take at least 2 hours to walk through their collection. As to the Louvre, one could spend a week in the place and still not even see all the rooms much less the art work. If you do go to the Louvre, do your homework, know what you want to see, do it, and get out! As to Versailles, the place will be totally packed throughout the summer season and it will take longer then you think to get out there, walk to the Palace, go through the Palace and grounds, get back to the Metro Station and then back to Paris.

If you do all you have planned, you might consider a few days in a sanatorium to rest and recover :)

Hank

Thanks for the idea and suggestions.

Hank, in all my research, I missed the Musee D'Orsay being closed on Mondays. Thanks.

Perhaps we will make that our first destination on Sunday. That will leave move time for the Louve on Monday. Is Montmartre/Sacre Coeur worth the trip? Can you give me an idea how long we would need to visit, including travel time via Metro? And I have looked into the Marais area as well. Sounds like Sunday would be a better choice for the Marais area.

As to Versailles, we had planed on being there when it opens, and spending the entire day....coming back to Paris late afternoon/early evening. Would we be able to do Versailles by 1-2 in the afternoon? that would free up a little more time for us.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Thanks for the idea and suggestions.

Hank, in all my research, I missed the Musee D'Orsay being closed on Mondays. Thanks.

Perhaps we will make that our first destination on Sunday. That will leave move time for the Louve on Monday. Is Montmartre/Sacre Coeur worth the trip? Can you give me an idea how long we would need to visit, including travel time via Metro? And I have looked into the Marais area as well. Sounds like Sunday would be a better choice for the Marais area.

As to Versailles, we had planed on being there when it opens, and spending the entire day....coming back to Paris late afternoon/early evening. Would we be able to do Versailles by 1-2 in the afternoon? that would free up a little more time for us.

Again, thanks so much for your help.

There is a regular poster here on CC who lives in Paris and I hope they jump in on this thread :) We do not think Montmartre is a "must see" for a first time visitor with the exception of going up to Sacre Coeur, seeing the spectacular view of Paris, taking a quick look at the church, and then after a quick walk through the neighborhood you get back to the better parts of the city. I suppose you could do all of that in about 2 hours :). One could certainly spend all day at Versailles, but since you are trying to cram a lot of Paris into a short visit you can move fast and probably turn it into a half day visit. But I always like to tell fellow DIYers that the great advantage to doing your own think is that you can alter your schedule as you see fit. Also keep in mind that most of Paris does operate on a schedule that has most things open until about 7pm, so you will probably be able to stretch out your days. Also think in terms of not eating dinner until around 9pm (its currently light out until after 10) which helps stretch the day out even more. If you have the energy you can run yourselves ragged from around 9:00 until 7pm, then grab a quick shower and its time to be off for dinner and perhaps a few cocktails. After that kind of day sleeping is real easy :).

The one thing that you cannot control is the weather and you should pray for comfy dry days. You really do not want to go to Versailles in the rain as its a hike from the train station (enough time to get totally drenched) and its hard to enjoy the grounds in a heavy rain. Another thing to consider is that the last time we took the train to Versailles we did not spot any signs to help put us on the right path from the train station. Hopefully the locals have since rectified that situation, but if not, do not hesitate to ask somebody to point you in the right way...or better yet, print out a decent street map of that town.

Hank

Hank

Hi,

First, Hank, i'm very upset against you ! :mad: I didn't knew you were in Paris.... I would be very happy to meet you and offer you a drink ! ;)

:)

There is a regular poster here on CC who lives in Paris and I hope they jump in on this thread :) We do not think Montmartre is a "must see" for a first time visitor with the exception of going up to Sacre Coeur, seeing the spectacular view of Paris, taking a quick look at the church, and then after a quick walk through the neighborhood you get back to the better parts of the city. I suppose you could do all of that in about 2 hours :).

I agree. The only thing, for me, is the incredible view, with the eiffel tower in the background !

One could certainly spend all day at Versailles, but since you are trying to cram a lot of Paris into a short visit you can move fast and probably turn it into a half day visit. But I always like to tell fellow DIYers that the great advantage to doing your own think is that you can alter your schedule as you see fit. Also keep in mind that most of Paris does operate on a schedule that has most things open until about 7pm, so you will probably be able to stretch out your days.

I'm always wondering... Why a lot of americans absolutely want to visit Versailles ?

There is a lot of things to do in Paris, and there is a lot of "castles" as interesting as Versailles to see (for me..!). Like Chambord, Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Chenonceau, Moulinsart, Valençay, ... !

The one thing that you cannot control is the weather and you should pray for comfy dry days. You really do not want to go to Versailles in the rain as its a hike from the train station (enough time to get totally drenched) and its hard to enjoy the grounds in a heavy rain. Another thing to consider is that the last time we took the train to Versailles we did not spot any signs to help put us on the right path from the train station. Hopefully the locals have since rectified that situation, but if not, do not hesitate to ask somebody to point you in the right way...or better yet, print out a decent street map of that town.

Hank

Hank

Exactly. It depends when you are coming !

If you want to discover the "real" Paris, there is a walk tour i love to do... From your hotel, go in direction to Notre-Dame, then Hotel de Ville, Centre G.Pompidou, Passage du grand cerf (like the famous galerie vivienne), rue montorgueil (i love that street! every parisien spent their weekend here), Haussmann, Opéra, Vendôme, Jardin des Tuileries, Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Trocadero, Eiffel Tower, and then coming back to your hotel walking 'downstairs' the Quais de Seine.

It's a full afternoon, and you see a lot of important things... By the best way: walking !

(i agree, you have to be able to walk without any foot/leg problems, but everything is very close!)

Edited by frenchrci

Hi,

First, Hank, i'm very upset against you ! :mad: I didn't knew you were in Paris.... I would be very happy to meet you and offer you a drink ! ;)

:)

So now you tell me :). Given the relative strength of the Euro against the dollar and Paris prices we would have welcomed a free drink :). But you will be pleased to hear we had a great week in Paris (and then spent another 3 weeks driving about 3000 kilometers in France) and really enjoyed staying in St Germain des Pres (our previous longer Paris stays were in the 5th and also Marais).

You ask a good question about Americans running out to Versailles. I must admit that we enjoyed Versailles when we visited (nearly 15 years ago) but would probably not return. But you might be disappointed in moi if we admitted that on this recent visit we went out to Fountainebleau one day, We had been meaning to get out there on several prior trips but never had the ambition to leave the city. We did enjoy the fact that Fountainebleau is not packed with tourists.

You might be interested to know that we also rented an apartment (flat) in Avignon for a week (we had not stayed in this city for nearly 20 years) and loved every minute. Although DW would say that Paris is her favorite place in France, my heart is in the south :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hi,

If you want to discover the "real" Paris, there is a walk tour i love to do... From your hotel, go in direction to Notre-Dame, then Hotel de Ville, Centre G.Pompidou, Passage du grand cerf (like the famous galerie vivienne), rue montorgueil (i love that street! every parisien spent their weekend here), Haussmann, Opéra, Vendôme, Jardin des Tuileries, Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Trocadero, Eiffel Tower, and then coming back to your hotel walking 'downstairs' the Quais de Seine.

It's a full afternoon, and you see a lot of important things... By the best way: walking !

(i agree, you have to be able to walk without any foot/leg problems, but everything is very close!)

Yes, we want to see the real Paris. Your suggestion of this walk is just the thing! I have a map of Paris, and using map quest, was able to find Hotel de Ville, Centre G.Pompidou, Passage du grand cerf and rue montorgueil. And of course I am able to locate Jardin des Tuileries, Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Trocadero, Eiffel Tower. But could you be a bit more specific about the walking route in between? And I can't find what you mean by returning 'downstairs' and could not find Quais de Seine. About how long would this take us to walk?

Hank, thanks so much for the info and suggestions. Maybe only a half day in Versailles...more time for Paris.

I'm always wondering... Why a lot of americans absolutely want to visit Versailles ?

There is a lot of things to do in Paris, and there is a lot of "castles" as interesting as Versailles to see (for me..!). Like Chambord, Chantilly, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Chenonceau, Moulinsart, Valençay, ... !

I'll try to answer your question. This board tends to attract primarily cruisers who, generally speaking, don't add a lot of independent travel before and/or after their cruise. Some of the admittedly wonderful chateaux on your list are in the Loire, an area that deserves its own several-day trip. I wouldn't take a day trip to visit only Chambord, not when Azay-le-Rideau or Chenonceau -- and more -- are so close.

Of the chateaux that are within an hour's trip from Paris, none has the cachet associated with the kings who lived there and Louis XVI's and Marie Antoinette's place in history.

Sometimes a jaw-dropping house is more than "just" a jaw-dropping house.

So now you tell me . Given the relative strength of the Euro against the dollar and Paris prices we would have welcomed a free drink . But you will be pleased to hear we had a great week in Paris (and then spent another 3 weeks driving about 3000 kilometers in France) and really enjoyed staying in St Germain des Pres (our previous longer Paris stays were in the 5th and also Marais).

You ask a good question about Americans running out to Versailles. I must admit that we enjoyed Versailles when we visited (nearly 15 years ago) but would probably not return. But you might be disappointed in moi if we admitted that on this recent visit we went out to Fountainebleau one day, We had been meaning to get out there on several prior trips but never had the ambition to leave the city. We did enjoy the fact that Fountainebleau is not packed with tourists.

You might be interested to know that we also rented an apartment (flat) in Avignon for a week (we had not stayed in this city for nearly 20 years) and loved every minute. Although DW would say that Paris is her favorite place in France, my heart is in the south .

Hank

I'm glad you had a great trip here. When you come back near Paris, send me a pm ! :)

Fontainebleau* :D Good choice ! You know enough Paris to leave the city sometimes ! Next time, try Barbizon, Chantilly, ... :D

Me too, i like Paris.... But when i'm in the south, i'm always wondering... "Why do i live in Paris?!" :eek: :(

The life in the south is sooo different... No comparison ! They 'take the time to live' !

Yes, we want to see the real Paris. Your suggestion of this walk is just the thing! I have a map of Paris, and using map quest, was able to find Hotel de Ville, Centre G.Pompidou, Passage du grand cerf and rue montorgueil. And of course I am able to locate Jardin des Tuileries, Champs-Elysées, Arc de Triomphe, Trocadero, Eiffel Tower. But could you be a bit more specific about the walking route in between? And I can't find what you mean by returning 'downstairs' and could not find Quais de Seine. About how long would this take us to walk?

Hank, thanks so much for the info and suggestions. Maybe only a half day in Versailles...more time for Paris.

I did a map on google maps for you !

For returning, i mean really near the river, in the lower level than you can walk, not next to all the cars driving. Where only pedestrians can walk.

Link: https://*******/maps/nb7Bz

Full-size picture: http://imageshack.com/a/img853/5777/oige.png

oige.png

Not enough "point" after opera to be more specific. You can walk inside of "jardin des tuileries", and when you can go on the other side of the river by a bridge when returning back if you want. You have the "Port of Debilly" which have the best view of the eiffel tower with NOBODY there !

Google maps says a 3h walk. So, with a slow walk, taking photographs, enjoying some beautiful views, eating something you can expect 14-21h. Back for dinner.

You have on internet some offers for a river cruise with dinner & champagne for 69e for 2 ! (so only 34.5pp), from notre dame, if you want !

I'll try to answer your question. This board tends to attract primarily cruisers who, generally speaking, don't add a lot of independent travel before and/or after their cruise. Some of the admittedly wonderful chateaux on your list are in the Loire, an area that deserves its own several-day trip. I wouldn't take a day trip to visit only Chambord, not when Azay-le-Rideau or Chenonceau -- and more -- are so close.

Of the chateaux that are within an hour's trip from Paris, none has the cachet associated with the kings who lived there and Louis XVI's and Marie Antoinette's place in history.

Sometimes a jaw-dropping house is more than "just" a jaw-dropping house.

Thank you for your answer ! I understand !

Edited by frenchrci

thanks so much for the info and the map. I believe that will be a perfert 1st day for us instead of going to Montmartre. We can just soak up 'Paris', stopping for drinks/food as we walk. Then heading back to our hotel for an early (jet lag) night. We will see about going to Montmartre one other evening, if the weather is good, to see Sacre Coeur and the view.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I will give a shot to the question why Americans want to see Versailles. For me, it's three fold and relates to its historic significance with respect to the French Revolution, the beauty of the chateau, and also the gardens. Maybe because America has no royal history, we are fascinated by it. We were in St Petersburg and visited Catherine's Palace. It's said that they tried to emulate Versailles. In truth, they outdid Versailles, but Versailles was first and more significant.

We will be returning to Paris with our teenage kids next summer for a few days and they're looking forward to Versailles. I'm considering the Blue Bike Tour of Versailles and the gardens.

• 4 weeks later...

Lived in Paris in the 60s/70s and visited several times since. Here's my list that I share with folks in my community when asked: some of the prices haven't been updated for 2 yrs. Sorry this is so long but...

A few Paris restaurant Ideas and Sightseeing

Le Grand Bistro 17

108, avenue de Villiers - 75017 Paris (metro Villiers)|

definitely need Réservations : 01 47 63 32 77

Open 7 days a week, 12:00-2:30, 7:30-11:00 ('til 11:30pm on Friday/Saturday)

3 course menu, presently € 44 each which includes a bottle of wine (approx. 11 choices ea for entre, main dish, dessert, coffee. They also served us a free kir but maybe no longer.

http://www.bistrocie.fr -- this website lists other similar bistros. Another one under this group that we went to some time ago:

Le Bistrot de Breteuil

3 place de Breteuil - 75007 Paris

45-67-07-27

(near Hotel des Invalides -- Napoleon's tomb)

Le Congres Maillot

Place de la Porte Maillot

80, avenue de la Grande Armée - Paris 75017, Métro Porte Maillot

45 74 17 24

Mainly seafood but other dishes as well. Not cheap, but we adore the sole meuniere -- might be cheaper at lunch.

Le Relais de Venise (practically around the corner from Le Congres)

AKA L'Entrecote

271 Blvd. Pereire - Port Maillot

01-45-74-27-97

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/index.htm. Only one item on the menu: Salad w/walnuts, Filet steak cut like flank steak with a mustard sauce to die for, best French fries, choice of dessert (can't remember if included). No reservations and there's always a line. You'll see knock-offs on the Champs d'Elysees and other places (called L’Entrecote, which is the cut of beef that the steak is cut from), but they can't compare.

There are a ton of restaurants in the Latin Quarter/St. Michel area with touts standing outside trying to get you to come in. Set menus are probably the best deal. Some will be better than others.

Take time to stop in any café and order a café crème (like a latte). You can order decaffeinated (pronounced “café day-ca”). Or if it’s cold outside, chocolate chaude (hot chocolate). If you use sugar substitute, keep a few packets from home in your purse as the French stuff has a different taste.

One of our favorite salads is Salade chevre chaud (green salad with warmed goat cheese with 2-3 pcs. of small baguette). And baguette (French crusty loaf bread) will be put on table. Instead of using butter (which may or not be served with it), just ask for Dijon and put some on to be really like the French.

Try North African cuisine (Tunisian, Moroccan), a good chain is Chez Bebert (I think there’s about 3 of ‘em). The most popular dish is couscous (semolina wheat sort of like pasta) with meat (there’s chicken, beef, fish) and lots of veggies and the sauce. A good appetizer is a brick (pronounced breek) which is a pastry with an egg in it, veggies, folded over and fried. I don’t like soft cooked eggs, but Leo just loves this dish. In the Latin Quarter you’ll see other similar restaurants.

If you like scallops, try the French ones (coquille St. Jacques Provencal – with tomatoes, garlic) – they’re served with the roe attached (edible).

Try the onion soup – under potage (soups) or entres (which is actually the appetizer course), it might be listed as gratinee – that’s the cheese that’s cooked on top over a pc. of bread, often with a little bit of white wine poured over it.

Sightseeing/Transport

Paris sites: http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16746-Top_20_things_to_see_and_do_in_Paris.html

I agree with this list.

For the metro, best off buying a carnet (book of about 10 tickets). Just be careful in the metro – lots of pickpockets. Leave your passport in the hotel room’s safe, along with most of your valuables. You only need to carry a photocopy of the front page of your passport. Just keep your purses close to your body, use a money belt (bought a really nice soft one at AAA). Can go into the restroom to get your credit card. The metro tickets are also good for the buses. Check bus routes as often it’s so much nicer to ride outside rather than inside the metro where you don’t see anything. Always get on the bus in the front and put your ticket in the machine to be stamped – exit any door except front.

Museums not to be missed: Louvre; Musee d’Orsay (impressionists + too much to mention); Rodin (museum/gardens, very close to Invalides); Picasso. Probably can only fit in 2 a day as there's so much walking involved. If possible, use the audo guides that are available.

Should also visit Napoleon’s Tomb (Invalides – refers to former old soldiers home where tomb is now located). Eiffel Tower. Montmartre (painter’s square) – very touristy but nice view of Paris + visit Sacre Coeur church. Notre Dame and that whole area -- walk down the quai on the opposite side (left bank) and take a photo of the church from that angle. On weekends there are stands with books and old prints/postcards. This area is close to the Latin Quarter.. Near-by La Conciergerie (former palace/prison) where King Louis XV & Marie Antoinette were held before being be-headed + nearby Sainte-Chapelle with fantastic stained glass windows.

While we've never taken it, there's an On/Off bus. Whenever we've taken one in other cities, we often ride it around the whole loop to see all the sites, then decide which places we actually want to visit. You might want to take a regular sightseeing bus tour (Grayline or similar) which would zip you thru the Louvre. Be sure to take photos of EM Pei's pyramid in the courtyard.

As you walk down from the Louvre (either thru the park or on the side of the street under the "Arcades" so you can see all the shops), towards the Champs d'Elysees, you'll come to Place de la Concorde. In the right hand corner, across the street from the Hotel Crillon (pop in and see how the other half lives), is the American Embassy. Kind of catty corner, in front of the Embassy/Crillon is a statue. This was actually the spot of one of the guillotines during the revolution.

Marais: Considered the Jewish quarter. Victor Hugo's house/museum overlooks the square.

Champs d'Elysees. Near-by is the Presidential palace (Palais d'Elysees), within walking distance of American Embassy on Faubourg St. Honore. This is the street with a lot of designer shops.

At the end of the Champs is the Arc de Triomphe, also referred to as Etoile (Star). There's a pedestrian tunnel to take to get to the center (you don't go thru the traffic). Tomb of Unknown Soldier. Take elevator to top for great views.

Eiffel Tower. Best view is from platform at Trocadero (site of 2 museums). Down the street from the Arc.

Good book to buy: Michelin Green guide. Has suggested walking tours, museum hours, etc. Might find one at the library. Copy pertinent pages so you don't have to take the whole thing.

Paris is a city for walking so check out walking tours on the web. While we've never done an organized walking tour (since we lived there!), one website I found is http://www.paris-walks.com/.

Versailles: If you have time, take the train to Versailles for the royal palace tour. The line will be VERY long if you don’t do this by a bus tour from Paris. I actually suggest a bus tour as you'd forego the long lines waiting for tickets.

You might also want to consider a tour that takes you to Giverny (Monet's home/gardens). The gardens won't be so great in October, but then again, the crowds will be less. If you have free time after the tour, walk up the street (as you face the house, go to your right), and the little church on your right is the burial place of the Monet family.

And you might find a day's tour to Loire Valley, but this is probably too much.

Check out Viatours. They offer some small group tours.

Passez un beau temps!!

After listening, reading, and asking numerous questions (special thanks to Hank), I have revamped my visit to Paris.

The first thing I did was to add an extra day! I have booked our flights using FF miles, so that is crossed off the list. I have decided on the Museum Pass instead of the Paris Pass, and added the Vista Pass for our travel. I am under the impression that will cover trains from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Saint Michel / Notre-Dame Station, the train to Versailles, and the train from Saint Michel / Notre-Dame station to Gare du Nord Paris to get on the Eurostar. Am I correct?

We are flying in on Air France, and I believe they use Terminal 2F. So will need to make sure I can find the Train to Paris from there. I believe it will be the RER B train line, with the first stop being Gare du Nord, ,then Chatelet Les Halles, and then St. Michel-Notre Dame, which will be our stop. Can you confirm that we will be able to stay on the train from the airport to St. Michel-Notre Dame station?

Please take a look, and offer any other suggestions/opinions.

 Day 1 Saturday Arrive Paris around 11am at Charles de Gaulle Airport. We will have already pre-purchased our 4 Day Museum Pass and our 5 day Paris Vista (pass transport). We will take train to Saint Michel / Notre-Dame. Our hotel is Hotel Le Regent. Check in and then begin a walking tour of Paris (thanks frenchrci). Relax, enjoy the sights, stop somewhere for a late lunch, and if a nice evening visit the Eiffel Tower. Early evening due to jet lag.

 Day 2 Sunday Train via Vista Card to Versailles (on Museum Pass). Stay as long as we like, heading back to Paris late afternoon. Visit the Musee d’Orsay (closes at 6pm, on Museum Pass).

 Day 3 Monday Purchase 1 day HOHO Bus ticket (with river cruise if it looks like a nice day). Morning walk or take metro or catch the HOHO to the Louvre. After the Louvre, walk Champs – Elysees to Arc de Triomphe (on Museum Pass). Catch the HOHO and continue to get off and on at our whim, enjoy a late lunch. Take the river cruise depending on weather.

 Day 4 Tuesday, early morning walk, ending at Notre Dame (on Museum Pass). Once our visit there is over, using the Vista card or walking, visit anything that we missed yesterday. Late afternoon take Metro to Montmartre/Sacre Coeur/Moulin Rouge, perhaps set up a walking tour.

 Day 5 Wednesday Take train from Saint Michel / Notre-Dame to Gare du Nord Paris to board Eurostar to London St Pancras Train Station.

We have breakfast included in our hotel stay, will probably have our main meal at lunchtime.

We will purchase our Museum Pass and Vista card before our trip. The Museum Pass begins on the date we start to use it. Is that the same for the Vista card? Or do we have to pick exact dates when we purchase the card on line?

How early should we book the Eurostar? We will use SNCF.Com, choosing ‘France’ as where we are ordering from. If we can’t use our credit card we will use PayPal.

For the Eiffel Tower, will we be able to get tickets that day or do we need to pre-book? If we pre-book, my concern is that if the weather is not good, it won’t be worth it?. Or is it lovely no matter what the weather?

I would really appreciate any suggestion/opinions? And I again thank everyone for all the time you devote to answering all our questions.

Very ambitious!! We found everything took "a little longer" than we had originally thought it would so scaled back our original plans.

We found we did well with oNE scheduled activity per day and just a general idea of what we "might" do for the remainder of a day. Versailles is exhausting and the Musee d'Orsay is wonderful and could have stayed there for HOURS!! I know I couldn't have done both on the same day!!

We did get Eiffel tour tickets ahead of time! (did the Back stage tour which was fascinating).

Have a fabulous time!! Paris is wonderful !!

Very ambitious!! We found everything took "a little longer" than we had originally thought it would so scaled back our original plans.

We found we did well with oNE scheduled activity per day and just a general idea of what we "might" do for the remainder of a day. Versailles is exhausting and the Musee d'Orsay is wonderful and could have stayed there for HOURS!! I know I couldn't have done both on the same day!!

We did get Eiffel tour tickets ahead of time! (did the Back stage tour which was fascinating).

Have a fabulous time!! Paris is wonderful !!

Oh dear, hear I thought I was giving us easy days!! LOL I'll look into the back stage tour for the Eiffel Tour. Thanks

We were in Paris for 3 1/2 days last November and we loved it . We will return in May for 4 1/2 days so I hope to learn a lot more from your post.

Just wanted to say we bought our Museum pass at the hotel desk on a credit card so you might e-mail them to see if they sell them there. Cost was the same. You might also double check on the free breakfast included so there are no surprises. Paris unlike Rome where every hotel has a free breakfast usually charges between 13 euros to 30 euros per person. It may have been a special for you but I have never seen it free in any of the hotels etc. that I have researched.

I would get my tickets for the Eiffel Tower or underground tour online in advance. We booked 2 months in advance for just the tower up to the second level and the only time we could get was 10pm on any of the 3 nights we were there and it was off season. It was also raining but it didn't matter, the view was beautiful and the twinkling was enchanting. It was lucky for us because even though we could see the tower someone told us it was just behind those buildings, well it took us 2 1/2 hours to walk there! We got there 10 minutes before 10pm. We're older and a bit slower but we should have taken a taxi. We did take a taxi back to the hotel and it was only 10 euros.

I wouldn't buy HOHO tickets in advance because you never know about the weather. The museum pass was great because you didn't have to wait in any long lines. I would get tickets in advance online for any place that you want to go that doesn't honor the museum pass. We took the RER line to Versailles and caught it by Musee de Orsay. It dead ends in Versailles. It was our first time to ride a train or subway so we ask questions and everyone was very helpful.

I hope you have a wonderful trip in this enchanting city, we didn't see everything on our list but it was a great trip and I think it will always be a place that you will want to return to, there is always something you still want to see !

It sounds like your plans are jelling. We rented an apartment in Paris for a few days. We started by going to the Louvre (first floor) and then bought Hoho tickets nearby. We rode the Hoho bus quite a bit to get around and mixed it with the Bateau boat, which stops at many of the main attractions, e.g. Musee D'Orsay.

It looks like you have your walk outlined. We had a box of City Walks (50) in Paris that covered different areas and used that. The streets run a little crooked, so for me it was easy to get lost. Be sure to have a map just in case!

We took the Metro only two or three times. I found it dingy compared to some of the metros in other cities, but friends there assured us that it is safe.

My husband was the reluctant traveler on this trip because he believed the French don't like Americans. One day we couldn't get off the Metro at our stop where we were meeting someone. We went for a newstand to ask for help, and a gentleman there drove us to our stop. That and some other experiences totally changed his outlook.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but using a little French goes a long way.

Paris is totally absolutely awesome. You are so lucky to go!

S'amusez bien!

• 5 months later...

I'm back with a couple more questions!! When I looked into buying the Museum Pass and the Paris Visite travel card I realized how much shipping will cost!! So can anyone tell me if we can purchase the Paris Visite travel card at the CDG Airport? It looks like we can get the Museum Pass once we get to Paris, but we will need the Viste card to get from CDG airport to our hotel.

Again, thanks in advance for your help.