AIDA for non-German speaking

Bracarense

@steamboats do you know if Covid tests are going to be required this summer as well? I will be on AIDAStella out of Palma in July 2023 and I am wondering if I should book a Covid test in Palma. I do not speak German but am translating the information sent to me in google translate and I have not seen anything about Covid tests. Thank you! 

@123Explore, sort of "hot of the press" and not yet on their website but the first customers received their documents for cruises starting Jan 13th, 2023:

No test required anymore for cruises up to 16 days / 15 night starting Jan 13th, 2023!

Although there can be still changes til July but currently you won´t need a test.

steamboats

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 1:21 PM, happilytorn said:

We are booked for our first AIDA trip, and departing in less than 10 days. We don't speak any German and honestly we are pretty confused with everything right now but I've decided to just try to figure it all out once I'm on the ship. We booked some kind of all inclusive package that includes drinks and internet. I hope we'll be able to figure out exactly how all that works, especially considering I'll have to be working from my phone/laptop on the ship. We are arriving one day early to get on the ship but we'll also need to get a COVID test in order to board (I believe it's required even though we are vaccinated). We are traveling with our two children too, and I plan on leaving them in the childrens' club on sea days. Fingers crossed everything will go well. LOL!

Hi happilytorn,  

can you please give some feedback on how your Aida cruise went? I am curious how you made out without German. Were you able to fly to your port of embarkation from the U.S. or did you have to take the charter flight from Germany? I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just returned from a few weeks in Portugal. We stayed part of the time in Madeira (fantastic place BTW) in an AirBnB overlooking the cruise port. The AiDA Nova was there for a day or so. We watched it come in and leave from our apartment.. and we had a chance to walk the terminal and see it. We also had some occasion to interact with some guests from the ship in town. It looked fantastic and the folks we talked to (in english) loved it. It intrigued me and I started also looking at AIDA cruises.

I record and watch a show called Mighty Cruise Ships on the Discovery channel. It so happens that there is a recent episode about the AIDA Nova. S4 E2. 

You should watch it if you are interested in their cruises.. English is spoken on the SHIP and getting a close look at the cruise activities, the excursions and food, etc is great.. Makes the cruises look amazing. We especially enjoyed it, as a portion of it highlighted some of Madeira.

HTH

James

• Thanks 1

@icvjames the crew does speak English as this is their working language. But all announcement except for security announcements are made in German and all activities are in German. Of course you might find guests speaking English but the main reason to chose AIDA (or TUI Cruises) for a German native speaker is that German is the onboard language. Not all Germans do speak English very well.

steamboats

• Like 1