Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

Thanks Mega for putting in your time to make this such a well put together review. Thanks for all the food and menu pics also, even though I understand there will be some interesting changes coming soon.

Looking forward to reading more, I still have a lot to get through!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're on the TA so I'm sure we'll get similar menus and probably have some of them repeated. Does the Garden Café have the crepes in the evening? Used to go up there every night on last cruise and get a dessert crepe, freshly made.

I noticed they had soufflés on the dessert menu some nights. I've always loved their soufflés but they don't seem to do them as much as they used to. Did you try them?

Thanks for the great review.

Tony and Debbie.

Many thanks for commenting. Unfortunately I never dined in or visited the buffet at night. Nor did I dine in the MDR in the evening. Sorry I can't answer but I am sure others can help.

Regards

megacruiser

Thanks for all the food and menu pics also, even though I understand there will be some interesting changes coming soon.

What sort of changes? I'm cruising on the Epic in October; are those changes expected before then or for the 2015 season?

Thanks for the fantastic review!

I have loved your review thank you for taking the time to put it all together . I have booked a Studio cabin for May 2015 I have booked solo But hope that I can find some travelling companions before then but If I dont you have given me the confidence to say "Hey I will have a great time no matter what" I am sooooooo excited .

I am travelling on a tight budget so do you know if any of the bars had "happy hour " and buy 1 get 1 free deals ?

Hello glittergal1,

It's a different sort of experience when travelling solo. When travelling with others I can be quite content to really relax and do very little. Not so when alone, when I much prefer ships with lots going on and to keep myself busy... You will have a great time.

I was on the UBP, so wasn't aware of any drinks offers. I think they are all listed under the "Daily Recommend" section, but not much by the looks of it. NCL experts here may be able to advise...

Regards

megacruiser

Thanks Mega for putting in your time to make this such a well put together review. Thanks for all the food and menu pics also, even though I understand there will be some interesting changes coming soon.

Looking forward to reading more, I still have a lot to get through!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are talking about the changes which were announced by NCL a couple of days ago then they don't really affect the Epic as most of the changes have already happened. The ship is already on the new menus and ribs etc are already served in o'Sheehans.

I believe that reservations for the MDR are also available. They are for most other ships.

Thanks so much for your review! I'm on my first NCL cruise in December, but on the Breakaway rather than the Epic. Still...I'm sure the experience will be very similar. I'm always interested to read the experiences of other solo travelers. I was booked into a solo cabin on the Breakaway, but in the recent Dash sale, an interior was less expensive, so I switched. I'm sure I'll be trying out one of the solo cabins in the future, however. And you've absolutely sold me on the UDP.

Very kind of you to comment. I have read that Specialty Restaurants get booked up on the Breakaway, so best book as early as possible. Let's hope the UDP doesn't become too popular or getting reservations could be difficult, ;) and of course the price will inevitably rise, as people catch on to what a bargain it truly is.

BTW, I will be on the Getaway in January and it will indeed be interesting to see similarities to, and differences from, the Epic.

Regards

megacruiser

Very kind of you to comment. I have read that Specialty Restaurants get booked up on the Breakaway, so best book as early as possible. Let's hope the UDP doesn't become too popular or getting reservations could be difficult, ;) and of course the price will inevitably rise, as people catch on to what a bargain it truly is.

I haven't been able to work out whether the few comments I've seen recently about people struggling to get into the speciality restaurants recently on the Breakaway are because of offers in the US recently where people were given the UDP for free. It always seemed like there was a big possibility of venues being full for those sailings, but I'm not sure when these cruises are.

It is possible that this is the problem at the moment.

Edit: I've just checked and it seems that the promo for the free UDP covers cruises on the Breakaway and Getaway between April and Sept 2014, so I'm pretty sure that will be the reason for the trouble getting into speciality restaurants. After September then I'd imagine they should be OK again.

Edited by KeithJenner

Can't put the book down megacruiser! You tell an exciting story, great details, great 2nd review of Cagneys. Appreciate the pictures of tendering in Cannes...this will be interesting indeed. WOW, am I getting on the ship, its enormous to say the least.

Thank you for your reviews!

My pleasure and thanks so much for your feedback.

Regards

megacruiser

Really appreciate your review. I am considering a Med cruise aboard Epic in the future and doing a live review so this definitely gives me some insight on what Epic will be like

Thanks again :)

Hello Bugsy4271. Very kind of you to comment.

Can I just say you have my utmost admiration for undertaking live reviews. The time and effort required must be colossal, especially to produce them to such a high standard. I had thought of attempting this myself but would be concerned that the task could become unduly onerous and might seriously impinge my enjoyment of the cruise. Well done to you.

Regards

megacruiser

Hello Bugsy4271. Very kind of you to comment.

Can I just say you have my utmost admiration for undertaking live reviews. The time and effort required must be colossal, especially to produce them to such a high standard. I had thought of attempting this myself but would be concerned that the task could become unduly onerous and might seriously impinge my enjoyment of the cruise. Well done to you.

Regards

megacruiser

I appreciate your compliment. I have been doing research to determine how best to do a live review on Epic from the Med since it is a very port intensive itinerary and there is only one full sea day. I may skip going ashore at one of the ports to be able to spend an extra day exploring the ship and her offerings.

I will definitely do excursions in Rome and Naples as Vatican City and Pompeii are on my bucket list

I certainly don't consider myself a wine aficionado, nor do I aspire to become one, as it would probably bankrupt me... I do know what I like and I highly recommend the Estancia Pinot Noir, which is eminently quaffable either on its own or as an accompaniment to a wide variety of dishes. In my opinion it is superior to the more expensive Spy Valley Pinot Noir on Royal Caribbean. It can be enjoyed by the glass, as it is within the upper limit of the Ultimate Beverage Package. It is also included in the mid-priced range of wines within the Viva Vino Wine Packages.

DSCF1787-1_zps1ae87b53.jpg

DSCF1791-5_zpsaa6d4703.jpg

DSCF1793-6_zps8f07bba7.jpg

DSCF1789-3_zpsa832217d.jpg

DSCF1790-4_zps5b66449f.jpg

DSCF1788-2_zpscf46fb62.jpg

This is a wonderfully comprehensive review, eloquently expressed and beautifully presented. Thank you so very much for allowing us to share your experience.

Now I'm going back to your earlier reviews!

Edited by cruis247g

This is a wonderfully comprehensive review, eloquently expressed and beautifully presented. Thank you so very much for allowing us to share your experience.

Now I'm going back to your earlier reviews!

Thanks for your flattering comment. Very much appreciated.

Cheers

megacruiser

If you are talking about the changes which were announced by NCL a couple of days ago then they don't really affect the Epic as most of the changes have already happened. The ship is already on the new menus and ribs etc are already served in o'Sheehans.

I believe that reservations for the MDR are also available. They are for most other ships.

Thank you, I didn't appreciate this :)

following! I'm booked in a studio for the December 7th Caribbean cruise. I hope my cabin isn't one of the ones you said to avoid :eek: it is cabin 12523

Thanks for following.

No, 12523 is not one of them. 12514 and 12515 are the two notorious ones (see post 255). I notice they are now highlighted on the cruise deck plans site.

Regards

megacruiser