Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

Since you sailed as a solo, how were you seated for Cirque? Did they have tables for two in there or were you put at a large table with others?

I was sat upstairs where there is one continuous, shallow, circular table-surface that encircles the performance-area below, where everyone sits side-by-side. If you are seated downstairs, you would be sharing a large conventional table.

Regards

megacruiser

Thank's Megacruiser for an awesome review. We went on Oasis last February and absolutely had an amazing time. The highlights of the boat were the amount of daytime activities/MDR food and the general vastness of the ship. Lacking on Oasis was the nightlife. In those categories how would you compare the NCL Epic experience? My wife/myself and some friends are looking to book the Epic in February. Thanks!

Thank's Megacruiser for an awesome review. We went on Oasis last February and absolutely had an amazing time. The highlights of the boat were the amount of daytime activities/MDR food and the general vastness of the ship. Lacking on Oasis was the nightlife. In those categories how would you compare the NCL Epic experience? My wife/myself and some friends are looking to book the Epic in February. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I was aboard Oasis in February this year and it was the most amazing cruise ever, but a lot of that is to do with the ship itself. However I felt that the Epic was the clear winner when it comes to evening entertainment. Aside from the main shows - Cirque, Blue Man Group and Legends in Concert - Fat Cats and Headliners had great additional entertainment, especially Beatles Celebration and Soul Satisfaction. Bliss nightclub was far superior to Blaze too. I just honestly felt more entertained on the Epic. Of course that is just my taste but others may think differently.

Regards

megacruiser

On many traditional cruise lines, passengers can feel distinctly unwanted and unwelcome on disembarkation day. This typically could begin by being awakened at some ungodly hour by loud and irritating PA announcements, including reams of names being called to Guest Relations to settle onboard accounts. If you attempted to have an express breakfast before vacating your room, the chances were that even If you ventured out as early as 5.30am and returned 40 minutes later, your cabin would already have been turned upside down, beds stripped and towels removed - in spite of the do-not-disturb sign placed outside your door; and any hand luggage or unpacked possessions that had impeded the task would almost certainly have been unceremoniously bundled together and dumped in a corner... Not so with NCL, since they introduced Freestyle cruising.

My flight was at 12.30 so I was not in a rush to leave the ship. I had elected to self-disembark and so had avoided that horrible feeling that invariably strikes on the last day whilst packing; the realisation that your cruise is almost over and that the post-cruise blues will all-too-soon be kicking in... Instead I set my alarm for 7.15; turned the air conditioning to the lowest setting as soon as I awakened; grabbed a strong coffee from the Studio Lounge; packed my cases and then had a refreshing shower. Nothing compares to the invigorating feeling of stepping out from a long, hot shower into an ice-cold room. Add in the caffeine-kick from that triple-shot, and this cruise was ending on a high, not a whimper...

By the time I vacated the Studio just after 8, not once had I been disturbed by my cabin steward checking on me, or making me feel guilty... I made my way to the Taste dining room that was open until 8.30, where I was able to have a relaxing breakfast in calm surroundings; rather than the stressed-out pandemonium that so often pervades the last-morning breakfast experience at the buffet. The menu was almost the same as normal, with the exception of the missing eggs-to-order. I was impressed that I was able to order a large fruit plate, something often removed from the curtailed last-day offerings. I lingered until a little after 9 and although there had been disembarkation announcements, they did not convey the sense of pressing-urgency, bordering on hostility, experienced elsewhere...

My car was booked for 9.40 so I headed off the ship at 9.20 to err on the safe side. I had the choice of disembarking on either Deck 6 or 7; both gangways led to the same level in the terminal building. With two pieces of luggage, albeit wheeled, Deck 7 was the better option, as that gangway offered a slight downward slope as it weaved its way down to the terminal. No queues or delays were encountered, and because the ship had not left the EEC, there were no Customs or Immigration formalities. Brilliant; no passport check, no queuing, no luggage inspection...

DSCF1860-2_zps467887cb.jpg

Baggage Hall...

DSCF1863-3_zps57d82f70.jpg

Luggage Carousels...

DSCF1866-4_zps295ed2e2.jpg

Taxi and bus pick-up/drop off area...

DSCF1869-1-2_zpsb469d0dd.jpg

Within 5 minutes all told, I was through the baggage reclaim area and into the open air where the taxi and bus drop off/pick-up area is located. On the dot of 9.40, a car pulled up and the driver held up a sign with my name, and we were on our way within seconds. It did take 15 minutes or so to get clear of the docks area, because of the volume of traffic arriving and leaving for the various ships in port, including Liberty of the Seas and Queen Elizabeth (which I will be aboard in October). The peak period of disembarkation was by now long past, so longer delays are highly likely earlier in the process.

Epic and Liberty from the Terminal walkway...

DSCF1855-1_zpse7c15652.jpg

Liberty and Queen Elizabeth from my taxi...

DSCF1870-1_zps9d554175.jpg

The car service I used had been recommended to me and was no more expensive than a taxi. It worked out at about 38 Euros each way (all inclusive) and was payable online, in advance, by credit card and no tipping was expected or solicited. So far they have been 100% reliable and very punctual. The advantage is that there is no watching the meter, nor the mysterious extra charges that get added on at the end of the journey for airport or port pick-up, or for each piece of luggage going into the boot (trunk); or attempts to overcharge, which I personally have experienced previously in Barcelona, until I demanded a receipt and pointedly noted down the taxi’s number... If anyone wants the details of the company I used, please send me a PM.

Please tell me the name of the private taxi service you used in Rome, thanks

Sorry I did not use a taxi service in Rome.

If you want the name of the Barcelona airport transfer service I used, please drop me a Private Message.

Regards

megacruiser

Escalator down to Taste...

DSCF1068-11_zps3747f937.jpg

Back up on the other side...

DSCF1067-10_zpsd607b52f.jpg

Here's a story about these escalators ... on our first Epic cruise in Aug 2010, the starboard one was going down and the port one was going up the first week of our b2b cruises.

Fantastic review and photos! I'm reliving our Epic cruises! We spent the total 44 nights on her and it's our fave ship so far. Still have to go on the Getaway ....

The morning of the 2nd one we had to go to the Atrium to meet with other b2b cruisers to get off ship to go thru US Imm and Customs in Miami, we walked to the escalator to step on to go down ... and stopped dead! So we went over to the other one to go down - apparently they alternate the escalators each cruise.

Edited by bluesea777

On many traditional cruise lines, passengers can feel distinctly unwanted and unwelcome on disembarkation day. This typically could begin by being awakened at some ungodly hour by loud and irritating PA announcements, including reams of names being called to Guest Relations to settle onboard accounts. If you attempted to have an express breakfast before vacating your room, the chances were that even If you ventured out as early as 5.30am and returned 40 minutes later, your cabin would already have been turned upside down, beds stripped and towels removed - in spite of the do-not-disturb sign placed outside your door; and any hand luggage or unpacked possessions that had impeded the task would almost certainly have been unceremoniously bundled together and dumped in a corner... Not so with NCL, since they introduced Freestyle cruising.

My flight was at 12.30 so I was not in a rush to leave the ship. I had elected to self-disembark and so had avoided that horrible feeling that invariably strikes on the last day whilst packing; the realisation that your cruise is almost over and that the post-cruise blues will all-too-soon be kicking in... Instead I set my alarm for 7.15; turned the air conditioning to the lowest setting as soon as I awakened; grabbed a strong coffee from the Studio Lounge; packed my cases and then had a refreshing shower. Nothing compares to the invigorating feeling of stepping out from a long, hot shower into an ice-cold room. Add in the caffeine-kick from that triple-shot, and this cruise was ending on a high, not a whimper...

By the time I vacated the Studio just after 8, not once had I been disturbed by my cabin steward checking on me, or making me feel guilty... I made my way to the Taste dining room that was open until 8.30, where I was able to have a relaxing breakfast in calm surroundings; rather than the stressed-out pandemonium that so often pervades the last-morning breakfast experience at the buffet. The menu was almost the same as normal, with the exception of the missing eggs-to-order. I was impressed that I was able to order a large fruit plate, something often removed from the curtailed last-day offerings. I lingered until a little after 9 and although there had been disembarkation announcements, they did not convey the sense of pressing-urgency, bordering on hostility, experienced elsewhere...

My car was booked for 9.40 so I headed off the ship at 9.20 to err on the safe side. I had the choice of disembarking on either Deck 6 or 7; both gangways led to the same level in the terminal building. With two pieces of luggage, albeit wheeled, Deck 7 was the better option, as that gangway offered a slight downward slope as it weaved its way down to the terminal. No queues or delays were encountered, and because the ship had not left the EEC, there were no Customs or Immigration formalities. Brilliant; no passport check, no queuing, no luggage inspection...

DSCF1860-2_zps467887cb.jpg

Baggage Hall...

DSCF1863-3_zps57d82f70.jpg

Luggage Carousels...

DSCF1866-4_zps295ed2e2.jpg

Taxi and bus pick-up/drop off area...

DSCF1869-1-2_zpsb469d0dd.jpg

Within 5 minutes all told, I was through the baggage reclaim area and into the open air where the taxi and bus drop off/pick-up area is located. On the dot of 9.40, a car pulled up and the driver held up a sign with my name, and we were on our way within seconds. It did take 15 minutes or so to get clear of the docks area, because of the volume of traffic arriving and leaving for the various ships in port, including Liberty of the Seas and Queen Elizabeth (which I will be aboard in October). The peak period of disembarkation was by now long past, so longer delays are highly likely earlier in the process.

Epic and Liberty from the Terminal walkway...

DSCF1855-1_zpse7c15652.jpg

Liberty and Queen Elizabeth from my taxi...

DSCF1870-1_zps9d554175.jpg

The car service I used had been recommended to me and was no more expensive than a taxi. It worked out at about 38 Euros each way (all inclusive) and was payable online, in advance, by credit card and no tipping was expected or solicited. So far they have been 100% reliable and very punctual. The advantage is that there is no watching the meter, nor the mysterious extra charges that get added on at the end of the journey for airport or port pick-up, or for each piece of luggage going into the boot (trunk); or attempts to overcharge, which I personally have experienced previously in Barcelona, until I demanded a receipt and pointedly noted down the taxi’s number... If anyone wants the details of the company I used, please send me a PM.

HI

How do I PM you ? Looking to know which car company you used.

Thanks

Thanks again Mega for sharing, your thoughts have been invaluable to us and our planning. It had been a great read.

We are so much better prepared for our Med cruise because of this.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Norwegian Epic Med Cruise Sep 2014

HI

How do I PM you ? Looking to know which car company you used.

Thanks

Silly me! I just tried to PM you, but I didn't realise the Private Messaging function does not work on this site. I am unsure on the rules about advertising so please search for "Suntransfers Barcelona" on Google and you will find the company.

Regards

megacruiser

megacruiser,

Thanks for a great review of the Epic. We are going to be on the October TA. We are Platinum and decided that, thanks to your review, we would purchase the UDP.

We are wishing you happy cruises in the future.

Len

megacruiser,

Thanks for a great review of the Epic. We are going to be on the October TA. We are Platinum and decided that, thanks to your review, we would purchase the UDP.

Len

The Oct TA is 14 days so the UDP will cost more. Having been on 2 Epic TAs, I would suggest you don't bother ... we are Platinum too and dined in Le Bistro twice.

The Garden Café is great on Epic ... for dinner!!! The options change every day there so there is a variety. Also they make and serve crepes to order. Also you can have wine by the glass or bottle. We dined there a few times during the TAs. Many officers dine there in the evenings.

The restaurants on Epic are walk-ins during the TA crossings, so each day you can decide where to go to eat - depending on your mood.

Don't forget the sushi and Noodles are a la carte and they are not included in the UDP.

ENJOY your Epic TA!! The best ship for the long TA crossings.

Silly me! I just tried to PM you, but I didn't realise the Private Messaging function does not work on this site. I am unsure on the rules about advertising so please search for "Suntransfers Barcelona" on Google and you will find the company.

Regards

megacruiser

I wish they would enable private messaging! Thanks for the recommendation; I'm going to check out this company. :)

Hey megacruiser

You visited the mandara spa? Could you tell me what is unisex and what is separated between men and women?

As I've read: the unisex is the loungers with pool and showers. The separate area contains dressing area, steam room, sauna and showers?

Thx for your reply!

Thanks for such an amazing review!!!! It has been so much help for me planning our fall Epic cruise!

Do you have O'sheehan's menu? I can't seem to find a recent one, but have read it has changed.

Edited by dizneydawn

Here's a story about these escalators ... on our first Epic cruise in Aug 2010, the starboard one was going down and the port one was going up the first week of our b2b cruises.

Fantastic review and photos! I'm reliving our Epic cruises! We spent the total 44 nights on her and it's our fave ship so far. Still have to go on the Getaway ....

The morning of the 2nd one we had to go to the Atrium to meet with other b2b cruisers to get off ship to go thru US Imm and Customs in Miami, we walked to the escalator to step on to go down ... and stopped dead! So we went over to the other one to go down - apparently they alternate the escalators each cruise.

Thanks for this little snippet. Curious that they alternate the direction and this may help prevent confusion for some when they board...

Regards

megacruiser

Thanks again Mega for sharing, your thoughts have been invaluable to us and our planning. It had been a great read.

We are so much better prepared for our Med cruise because of this.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Norwegian Epic Med Cruise Sep 2014

Many thanks for your kind feedback.

Regards

megacruiser

megacruiser,

Len

Sincere thanks.

Regards

megacruiser