Four Passengers - NYC Megabus Stop to Carnival Pier - Taxi Advice

westernfb

Three others and I will arrive in NYC by Megabus on a Saturday morning and will need to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal for a Carnival cruise. I have before hailed a cab from the Megabus arrival location, for four people (incl. small luggage), and it was no problem. I just need to know from this community whether I might have a problem finding a cab that will accommodate four passengers carrying enough luggage for a one-week cruise. I see that one can now book SUVs from private companies but also see that the bookings can be pricier than taking a NYC cab.

Four passengers probably is no problem, but luggage for 4 might be. If when you hail a cab and the driver say's "all that luggage won't fit", You get a 2nd cab. From where mega bus leaves you off, you should have no problem hailing cabs and the fare will probably be $15-$20 per cab. (Assuming "your" mega bus leaves you off where the Mega Bus I take into the city leaves me off)

...one can now book SUVs from private companies but also see that the bookings can be pricier than taking a NYC cab.

Two cabs would be much cheaper than booking an SUV, its a quick short trip you will not be separated that long.

Heck haven't you always wanted to say "Follow that cab"?

Keep you eye out for cabs design to take on wheelchairs. There are a growing number of these on the street and they may be able to hold all of your luggage.

Otherwise, I concur, two cabs will be the best way to go.

If you are really trying to save money, take any MTA bus uptown to 49th street, then take a westbound M50 which will leave you across the street from the cruise terminal.

I've done that a few times.

Those good old Ford taxi using ex-police interceptors (better known as Crown Vic) will swallow 4 adults and 4 airline-sized 22" carryon suitcase easily, plus hand baggage or backpacks. It partially depend on how much you are bring onto the Megabus (not planning to drag a case of bottled water for 4, right :eek:) We had one this Spring for the ride home to Queens returning to MCT- it's all good.

If so, it should fit - there are also many minivans in NY's yellow taxi fleet these days and they will of course, take everyone & everything.

I'm 100% sure about the newer downsized & boxy Ford Transit taxi and how much space it has in the back. Duffel bags & softside or rollers are easily to move around to fit - personally, I hate those rollers on 4 wheels (my biased, of course) & when they break, it's not pretty to drag around.

Chances are good that there will a line & plenty of taxi waiting to pickup passengers, if a smaller Toyota or Nissan came along, just let someone go ahead & look for the next one that's bigger - lots of times, the taxi drivers themselves will work it out among themselves. Just hold the backpacks inside the passenger compartment if necessary & you will save the $$ for a 2nd. taxi - always nice to tip the driver a little extra for her/his efforts too.

We took Mega from Baltimore to NYC for a cruise a few years ago. There were five of us (4 adults, 1 child) and us and all of our luggage fit into a taxi van no problem. We were able to hail one the second we stepped off the bus. It was $25ish each way.

We took Mega from Baltimore to NYC for a cruise a few years ago. There were five of us (4 adults, 1 child) and us and all of our luggage fit into a taxi van no problem. We were able to hail one the second we stepped off the bus. It was $25ish each way.

Believe it or not, when we took the Megabus this February we actually walked back and forth to the port. We saw the water and the ship (from a distance) and it looked pretty close (wrong). We had trouble hailing a cab so we started walking. We each had one roll on 25 inch and backpack and made it to the ship in about 20 minutes. The probably it was mid February and cold. We walked up the bike path (which was probably also wrong) but was proud of ourselves.

It's not exactly a cake walk, but if no one is mobility impaired, all of the luggage has wheels, and it's not raining......yes it is totally doable to walk from Penn Station (or thereabouts to the Manhattan cruise ship terminal) I've done it!. IF not....like folks have said, a cab will be about $15.