Florence - Jewelry Shopping?

Any hints on shopping for gold jewelry in Florence? How do the prices compare to US? How about compared to St. Thomas? Any wonderful finds?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Mary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrwindt:
Any hints on shopping for gold jewelry in Florence? How do the prices compare to US? How about compared to St. Thomas? Any wonderful finds?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Mary<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are jewelry stores all over Florence,but the Pont Vecchio is one shop after the other!!!! I can't compare to what you will find there to St.Thomas,but like I have always said..know your prices in the US before you shop anyhwere,and make the comaprison then. I have found jewelry in Florence that I had not seen here and if I really liked it I bought it,have enjoyed it and didn't shop with a fixed price in mind for something like that.Also, while you are there do look at the leather good as there are some really good bargains,again if you know your prices.You will not have any trouble finding a shop!! Enjoy.

Karen
Ü

A private land tour guide I had in 1998 recommended the Gold Shop/Store right across the square from the Sante Croce church. She purchased several items there herself. When I returned last summer, I went back and bought some small blue 'globe' charms that look good as a necklace or dangles for hoop earrings. With the poor exchange rate, I'm not sure if gold is a good buy in Italy now, but my charms were an inexpensive buy that remind me of my 'worldly' travels.

NEXT UP: Tahitian Princess October 2004 (Tahiti)
Golden Princess May 2003 (Mediterranean)
Golden Princess January 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)
Sea Princess March 2001 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Inspiration March 1997 (Southern Caribbean)

With the weak dollar I dont know about finding great buys. But there certainly are unique designs that you wont find at home.
THere is a lot of very nice gold in Athens that is higher carat.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

My wife would agree with Jacqueline. She has never been real impressed with the jewelery in Italy unless looking at the very high priced Tiffany quality stuff. Turkey probably has the cheapest gold jewelery, but the quality is nothing great. However, in Greece the quality and designs are superb. We have had our best luck in Athens and Mykonos. Just window shopping at the Greek jewelers can be a real treat to the eyes.

Hank

Hank,

Can you recommend specific stores in Athens?

Thanks

Diamond Princess 03/04
Sun Princess 12/03
Grand Princess 12/02
Royal Princess 08/02
Ocean Princess 08/01
Pacific Princess 12/00
Carla C. 03/83

In a word. no! My wife does not remember the stores she liked, and I do my best to ignore anything that has the word (Jewelery) in its name! Those places normally make me cry! However, when you walk around the downtown shopping area outside the Plaka, you will see many fine jewelers. You will know the good stores when you see them, and the designs of their product is quite impressive. We are talking designs that would look good in Tiffany's window. As to prices, I have to believe they are not a bargain since the dollar has declined over 30% to the Euro in the past few years.

Hank

You'll find that prices in Italy and Greece can be similar. What I suggest is to haggle a bit. In some places it will work while in others it won't. I had bought wedding rings in Italy, OK not the stuff you probably are looking for, however when I was in Santorini we spoke to a local jeweller about the price. He said it was an excellent price for 18 carat and I could see he was a little disappointed not making a sale. So, what I say is bargain with these people, they all want to make sales to tourists, it doesn't matter if in Italy, Greece or Turkey. One word though, in Greece the gold can go as high as 21 carat, nice but can be fragile if you intend to wear it in places (fingers and wrists) it comes into contact with things.

As for leather goods the same goes, Italy, Greece and above all Turkey. Make sure you check to see if it is real leather. Some stalls in Florence will give you good bargains if you haggle. Not all of them are run by Italians, some by Brazilians and they are really good sorts. Good luck.

Cheers

Thanks Hank. Our dollar has gone up so some things still may be a buy. I can't wait to wait out...most of the fun is in the search...LOL...

* Star Princess 07/04 *
Diamond Princess 03/04
Sun Princess 12/03
Grand Princess 12/02
Royal Princess 08/02
Ocean Princess 08/01
Pacific Princess 12/00
Carla C. 03/83

Archived