Tips charged to sea pass daily?

I fail to see where USA tipping standards and principals apply to non USA ships and to non USA citizen that are not living in USA given those same standards and principals are not in place in the countries the cruise staff come from and are citizens of:confused:

It may be hard to believe but USA is in a huge minority in the developed world with their tipping practices and culture.

USA domestic staff are paid less than they should be to survive in the economy.

Cruise staff are paid more than they would if doing the exact same job same hours in their own place of residence, this gives them the initial advantage USA Domestic staff do not have re tips:)

I pay my gratuities because it has always been part of cruising for me, I also tip when warranted, usually a small amount to MDR staff and room steward as this also has been traditional for even non tipping cultures to do on a cruise but way too many in USA believe that the staff are dependant on tips like USA domestic staff which is not true:)

This is perhaps the best post i have seen regarding tipping. So many people don't understand and this makes it more clear. There is a completely different culture on a cruise ship, its unique.

The last time we cruised which was in 2006 I brought several rolls of dollar coins with me to use as tips. The staff seemed to like it. My hubby thinks I should just tip on our upcoming trip with paper money. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. TIA :)

The last time we cruised which was in 2006 I brought several rolls of dollar coins with me to use as tips. The staff seemed to like it. My hubby thinks I should just tip on our upcoming trip with paper money. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. TIA :)

I think the staff is happy to get tips in any denomination.:)

I think that while the staff will be happy to receive tips in any form, I do believe that the rarity of US dollar coins might make them a bit harder to spend, especially in foreign countries where the locals would not be familiar with them and might be reluctant to accept them. I can't even recall the last time I saw a $1 coin here in the US. I think your husband has the right idea- use paper currency.

I dont understand what people dont get about this ^. "Im not eating in the MDR so I shouldnt have to tip them" :rolleyes::(:o

On every cruise Ive been on I have seen my MDR waitstaff working in other venues. My headwaiter greeted me every morning in the WJ to carry my plate around because Im in a wheelchair. He got a MUCH better tip than the lousy amount included in prepaid tips.

TIPS does NOT mean "To Insure Proper Service". Im not even sure who came up with that acronym. If they were, you would ALWAYS pay them in advance.

Why do so many people pay thousands of dollars for a cruise yet balk at the 12.00pp pd in recommended tips? If people keep on removing these, it wont belong before the cruise lines start making them non removable IMHO.

Nice post, spoken with common sense and reason....:)...K.O. Edited by Thetrail

Is a JS considered a suite for automatic gratuities? RCI does NOT consider a JS to be a suite for perks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No it is not. JS just pay the lower gratuity rate. :)

I think that while the staff will be happy to receive tips in any form, I do believe that the rarity of US dollar coins might make them a bit harder to spend, especially in foreign countries where the locals would not be familiar with them and might be reluctant to accept them. I can't even recall the last time I saw a $1 coin here in the US. I think your husband has the right idea- use paper currency.

Banks do not accept coins when exchanging foreign currency. A dollar coin in a crew member's home country would be worthless. It is only valid tender in the country of origin, in most cases.