Bad time at the steak house on the Liberty

tomboyy

You were right. We were on Liberty twice and ate at the steakhouse 2 times. It was good, the steak was just good on one of the nites. It was tough and almost all fat I mean whole areas of fat not marbled. But we still enjoyed everything else but I don't think we'll go back. Had better at Logans steakhouse.

You guys are KILLING me........:D

We have 6 of us booked at the Breeze Steakhouse, Farenheight 555, on our cruise in 2 weeks.

It's a first for all of us.......

I have read SO many RAVE reviews, and now, THIS thread.

Should we cancel?

We have 6 of us booked at the Breeze Steakhouse, Farenheight 555, on our cruise in 2 weeks.

Should we cancel?[/QUOT

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1749299&page=2

KP.I feel your pain.

I've booked my first Carnival Cruise and JUST got confirmation for the Steakhouse and I've been so excited.

After reading this thread , I did a search on 'steakhouse favorite food' and also read someone's review, who went with her 2 sons and they each ordered something different (with pictures.)

I'be decided to keep my reservations though wonder about the size of that steak:)

Not sure what is going on with the Liberty. My husband and I tried it after enjoying the Chef Table on a previous cruise. The food was good but not Morton's quality. Enjoyed the salad in in a champagne glass. The worst was the wine steward. We are not big wine drinkers. I enjoy Ana glass of very sweet wine and my husband likes just a little less sweet. My husband asked for a recommendation and the steward suggested a tabled mixed blend. It was very pricy and my husband declined and asked for a Riesling. The steward stomped away and never returned to the table and our overall service was lousy after that. Very turned off by the experience and probably won't return to the steakhouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. We went to the steak house twice on our Liberty cruise the week before last. Both times were great. Great service, delicious food. I'm bummed your experience wasn't good because we've really enjoyed our meals there.

We tried the steakhouse on the Legend our last cruise based on all the rave reviews I read here on CC. We were disappointed. We also felt we got better service and better food in the MDR. Also, we're not drinkers, and I felt that the wait staff was visibly annoyed that we didn't order any wine. There was a lot of food (I didn't even have room for dessert :( ), but I wasn't impressed with it. And the service was definitely slow and not at all friendly. In fact, it was kind of snooty. I know most people seem to love it, but we're not going to spend the extra money again. The cruise itself is a luxury for us, and one we can't often afford. We've had excellent wait staff in the MDR every time. I guess I'll just spend my money in the over-priced spa as my cruise luxury from now on. ;)

Not sure what is going on with the Liberty. My husband and I tried it after enjoying the Chef Table on a previous cruise. The food was good but not Morton's quality. Enjoyed the salad in in a champagne glass. The worst was the wine steward. We are not big wine drinkers. I enjoy Ana glass of very sweet wine and my husband likes just a little less sweet. My husband asked for a recommendation and the steward suggested a tabled mixed blend. It was very pricy and my husband declined and asked for a Riesling. The steward stomped away and never returned to the table and our overall service was lousy after that. Very turned off by the experience and probably won't return to the steakhouse.

That's the way they acted with us when we said no to wine. Do you suppose they get some kind of commission off the wine sales? Besides the gratuity, I mean.

Why didn't you speak up? You're obviously upset about this, otherwise you wouldn't be posting years later. A nonissue would have been forgotten. If you have an issue with the food or service, you need to speak up and let their leadership teams know. Whether on land or at sea, what good is it complaining on a message board if you fail to inform the proper channels?

The OP wondered about the poor service they received and if it was a fluke. Others who have had bad experiences are letting the OP know about them. This poster did not come here deliberately to complain. He/she is just answering the OP. And the good it does is to warn others that sometimes dinner at the steak house on Carnival isn't always the wonderful experience you'd expect. Some posters have had fantastic meals and service and others have not. Just as some people think the food in the MDR is awful and others think it's great. People are here to share their experience and their opinions, and opinions are not going to be changed just because someone else criticizes them.

Should we cancel?

I don't think so. It's up to you. But even though I had a less than stellar experience and would not go back, I would always wonder if I hadn't tried it. I think you should try it and see. Many posters have had wonderful food and thought it well worth it. You have to decide for yourself. Even with your party of 6 ,there may be some who will enjoy it more than others. But you'll never know until you try it for yourself.

Should we cancel?

No you shouldn't cancel. Our party of 6 dined in the steakhouse on the Dream last week. From start to finish it was a great meal. Well worth he $35/person fee. Hopefully you'll have the same experience. Sorry to hear of op's experience because when it's good it's really good and unfortunately for him their game was off. Oh and if you get the cheesecake at the end you'll see you can feed a small country with the piece they give you. Enjoy!

This Spring we did a back-to-back on the Liberty. We ate at the steakhouse once each week. The first week the meal and service were excellent!

The second week my medium rare steak was a little too rare. When I asked to have it cooked just a little more the reaction was over the top. The waitress said but you ordered it medium rare. I said yes but this is too rare for me. Off she went with my steak in a huff. While waiting for it to come back the Hostess came to our table, scrunched down next to me and said that I ordered medium rare and that's what I got. Again I explained it was too rare for me. I have no idea why they went out of their way to make me feel like it was my fault. It really spoiled the experience. All they needed to do was cook it a little more without trying to make me feel bad.

My husband and I went to a high end land based steakhouse a few years ago. Very pricey, top-notch, known for their stellar service. Every single course was screwed up in some way. The waiter forgot the salad, they cooked the wrong entree, you name it. We ended up with DH's meal comped and a free dessert. It's been years and even though it was a total fluke, he still refuses to return. (I have gone there during business travels and never had an issue.)

Things happen, even in the best of places.

The steakhouse on the Glory was the highlight of our cruise a few years ago and we're looking forward to it on the Breeze as well in just a few days. It wasn't perfect - I experienced the same line about the ribeye and unfortunately gave in. (Older and wiser now - not happening again.) The steak came out tough and chewy. In our case, other than that, the meal was excellent, service was superb, and it didn't ruin an otherwise great night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm glad that this was posted. We have dined in the steakhouse on multiple Carnival ships as well as Holland America and RCCL. The meal has always been excellent along with stellar service. I think the steakhouse on the Liberty has some management issues. We were onboard last month and it was not up to par.

The service was terribly lacking. We had no water for most of the meal and we sat between courses with all of our dirty dishes until the next course arrived. I know the meal is normally lengthy, but it took forever to get all of the courses. No one was terribly friendly either. Let me add that they were not very busy either so I'm not sure what the problem was. Wait staff was just standing there looking at our dirty dishes in front of us. We also requested after dinner coffee with dessert and no one every brought it over and we just didn't mention it again.

This will not stop me from dining in the steakhouse on future ships, but I hope they get this together on the Liberty.

I have only been to the steakhouse once. On the Carnival Pride and it was fantastic!

However my friends who just got back from their first cruise, which was on the Liberty, said the steak didn't have much flavor... and was pretty dry. They loved the Cheesecake... They said they wouldn't do it again, it really wasn't worth the money. So , i have to wonder what happened to the steakhouse? They are great people and don't complain. Just talking about it. They Loved the Liberty! And are already planning their next cruise:D

Why didn't you speak up? You're obviously upset about this, otherwise you wouldn't be posting years later. A nonissue would have been forgotten. If you have an issue with the food or service, you need to speak up and let their leadership teams know. Whether on land or at sea, what good is it complaining on a message board if you fail to inform the proper channels?

Looking back, I wish we did speak up. I know that we did let the waitress know of our disappointment with the food but nothing was every addressed with the Manager which was our responsibility. Now I have no problem letting them know if I am dissatisfied.

We live & learn.

I had a negative experience with the steakhouse on the Liberty, and I didn't even get to eat there. Due to a medical condition I was experiencing at the time, I couldn't wear nice shoes/sandals. I could only wear my sneakers with my orthopedic inserts. Despite wearing a nice shirt and pants, the host said my sporty look would detract from others' experience in the restaurant, and I was turned away, even after explaining my medical condition and why I could only wear sneakers. Afterward my husband complained to Carnival, and we only got a vague apology without any mention of staff training or anything else.

Looking back, I wish we did speak up. I know that we did let the waitress know of our disappointment with the food but nothing was every addressed with the Manager which was our responsibility. Now I have no problem letting them know if I am dissatisfied.

We live & learn.

It's good to hear that in the future, you will speak up whenever you encounter a service failure. With that, you will be making an attempt to improve the quality of the guest experience for any future guest. As with your server, she probably did not approach her manager as you stated you encountered service issues. Considering the cruise industry shows very little trust to their employees and leadership teams use discipline quite often, she probably was trying to avoid a reprimanded.

I had a negative experience with the steakhouse on the Liberty, and I didn't even get to eat there. Due to a medical condition I was experiencing at the time, I couldn't wear nice shoes/sandals. I could only wear my sneakers with my orthopedic inserts. Despite wearing a nice shirt and pants, the host said my sporty look would detract from others' experience in the restaurant, and I was turned away, even after explaining my medical condition and why I could only wear sneakers. Afterward my husband complained to Carnival, and we only got a vague apology without any mention of staff training or anything else.

Did you go to the Guest Services desk to let them know?

All three of the Steak Houses we have been to have been BETTER than Morton's. We went to the Morton's in Georgetown and frankly it was a horrible experience that we paid almost $300 dollars for!

My wife and I have eaten at only one steakhouse and that was David's on the Carnival Pride. We really enjoyed our meal but when my wife, who loves Caesar salads, ordered a Caesar salad, our waitperson told her she could get a Caesar salad in the dining room and why didn't she order something else, which she did. We still laugh about her not being able to get her Caesar salad.

Thanks for your post, Tom. It can be a rough crowd on here sometimes.