Spirit Airlines

Has anyone flown out of FLL with Spirit Airlines after disembarking on Allure or Oasis? If so, were you able to print boarding passes on the ship for this airline?

We are debating whether to attempt an EXTEMELY early 7:45am flight after getting off the Allure. Our plan is to print boarding passes the day before on the ship, carry our 2 luggage off the ship at 6:15am, be one of the first at customs, grab a taxi to the FLL airport, go thru airport security, and be at boarding gate by 7am. We REALLY want to fly out in the morning and all the other flights are in the afternoon.

In the past, we had a 8:45am flight on SWA. We got off the Oasis at 6:30am and arrived at the airport at 7:15am. We ended up waiting 1 hour to board our flight.

Has anyone flown out of FLL with Spirit Airlines after disembarking on Allure or Oasis? If so, were you able to print boarding passes on the ship for this airline?

We are debating whether to attempt an EXTEMELY early 7:45am flight after getting off the Allure. Our plan is to print boarding passes the day before on the ship, carry our 2 luggage off the ship at 6:15am, be one of the first at customs, grab a taxi to the FLL airport, go thru airport security, and be at boarding gate by 7am. We REALLY want to fly out in the morning and all the other flights are in the afternoon.

In the past, we had a 8:45am flight on SWA. We got off the Oasis at 6:30am and arrived at the airport at 7:15am. We ended up waiting 1 hour to board our flight.

I wouldn't risk that, all it takes is for disembarkation to be delayed for a few minutes and you've missed your place, A 1 hour wait to board a flight is pretty common for domestic flights

With SWA probably doable as you did previously, but I wouldn't suggest flying on Spirit to begin with.

Agreed. Spirit is not an airline you want things to have the potential to go wrong with. I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure if you miss your flight with them you will not be bumped to the next one, you will have to buy a new ticket.

Agreed. Spirit is not an airline you want things to have the potential to go wrong with. I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure if you miss your flight with them you will not be bumped to the next one, you will have to buy a new ticket.

You are right. This just happened to a friend the other day. She missed her flight due to the expressway being closed with an bad accident. When she got to the airport she had to purchase a new ticket. Since they had no room on any other flight that day she had to drive home and come back the next day. This was also on Spirit

Edited by Havin'fun

Spirit typically = bad news when things go wrong. Last time I checked they have no reciprocal agreements with other airlines to get you on their flights.

If they have a mechanical delay, there won't be another plane flying in to get you very soon.

Spirit = low price = you get what you pay for.

Under no circumstances fly Spirit. They are horrible, plus keep in mind their luggage weight limit is 40lb which is tough for a cruise.

I think this sounds like a fantastic plan. Go for it!!!!!

This is a bad idea all around. Spirit is a bad choice, poor service, lots of extra fees so that your $39 fare comes out to a true cost of $430. The choice of flight time is waaaaaaaaaay toooooooo early even for getting off the Oasis or Allure.

You should reconsider your plans.

Edited by Eng23

Hi, it seems that you had good luck with early flighs - maybe it will continue ..... but please take a look at other threads :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060143

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2009184

Edited by wieslaw

We flew spirit after getting off oasis in 2012 but it was an evening flight. We got off the ship around 9 and had to find something to do all day until our flight. I would not try to make that early of a flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stay away from Spirit if you can!! They should be put out of business, too many extras to pay for. ( Didn't know this before purchasing tickets) Soon they will charge for using the lavatory! I'd rather take a bus and that's really bad since I hate buses also.

Sorry for not answering your question, but seeing "Spirit Airlines" hit a nerve!!!

I have no choice but to fly spirit since it ends up costing more in the long run to travel to another airport with a toddler in tow. I would definitely give yourself more time to get to the airport, check in, and get through security. Our flight home is at 2:45pm. Spirit is a pain in the booty, but if you have no other option, I would at least choose a later flight.

With SWA probably doable as you did previously, but I wouldn't suggest flying on Spirit to begin with.

So, now that everyone seems to be repeating it. Allow me to repeat what I first said on this thread! :D

I wouldn't book a flight at that time on ANY airline. I would rather sit at the airport for a while than go crazy for a 7:45am flight. Good luck!

We've used Spirit every time for our flights to FLL, MCO and TPA and will use them again. Never had an issue. I would not recommend the 7:45am flight though. We usually book return for the afternoon that way leaves room for any issues with customs or late disembarkation. You are able to check in and print your boarding passes on board once you are in the 24 hour window.

I was pricing flights in & out of MCO today on cheapflights.com and it said that Spirit charges $35 for BOTH checked and carry-on luggage. I checked on expedia too but didn't bother to look to see if the luggage info was repeated there.

I'm going to throw in my opinion here as well: really bad idea. Bad time, and that is not the airline you want to end your wonderful cruise experience with no matter what time you do fly. If that's the only option for the day, get a cheap hotel.

I travel for business a lot - I am Premier 1k on United and Exec Platinum on American, i.e. over 100k a year on each, and that's just the major carriers. I spent a lot of time on regional carriers too, particularly in Europe.

And let me tell you, after the few experiences I have had on Spirit over the years (always as a last resort) I would literally rather drive - or walk - then do it again. If they are the one and only option then I just pretend there are no options. I know they have extremely low fares and all but to start and end a cruise vacation with them? Madness.

There's a small chance you'll make that flight (or more likely, Spirit will be delayed - being cheap means they are lowest on the route totem pole, meaning any - any - airline issues across the country - bad weather in Chicago, whatever - will ripple across and hit them the hardest). There's a much better chance you will miss it and then you will be in a world of hurt because they didn't make those tickets so cheap so that they could turn around and spend a lot on customer service - particular the kind of customer service where missing the flight was your fault (or RCI/Customs), not theirs.

Most likely if you miss the flight you'll be taking a crowded, expensive, last-minute flight out on some other airline and all your money saved on airfare up front will go right out the window, and then some.

Don't do it :)

Regardless of the merits or not of Spirit, that is far too early! I'm the first one to say "go for it" for an Oasis or Allure cruise to fly out of FLL at 9:30 or 10- but 7:45 is really impossible. You may think you'll be "first" but all the people trying to make that 10 am flight are doing the same thing, several hundred of them, and you won't be first, you'll just be stressed, probably late and if what the others say about Spirit is true, out of luck:(

Edited by Familygoboston

Stay away from Spirit if you can!! They should be put out of business, too many extras to pay for. ( Didn't know this before purchasing tickets) Soon they will charge for using the lavatory! I'd rather take a bus and that's really bad since I hate buses also.

Sorry for not answering your question, but seeing "Spirit Airlines" hit a nerve!!!

I think Spirit is the flying greyhound. It such a gross, cheap airline. I WOULD NEVER EVER fly them. I flew the once to Florida (not for a cruise) and the window was so dirty and greasy. I complained, got a voucher and never used it cuz that airline is hideous! I would rather take Amtrak!