Falmouth tour - Going rate for a private "dedicated" driver?

WestfieldTraveler

I've just started seriously looking for a tour out of Falmouth when we arrive there on Oasis of the Seas, and I'm wondering what the going rate for would be for a single party (of 6) for an air-conditioned van and driver for the day that we would not have to share with another party? Not that we're anti-social, but we would just like to go according to our own timetable.

We haven't decided on exactly what to do yet (i.e "Famous" Duns Falls vs. Secret Falls, Blue hole, Tubing, lunch, etc.) and I do realize some (blue hole $15) have a separate admission charge. Also, more from a bring enough cash rather than lost cost (nothing wrong with that) perspective, how much per person should we look to tip any "guides" or the driver, beyond the fixed costs?

An option for fish or veggie lunch included would also be a plus.

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
clarity

I've just started seriously looking for a tour out of Falmouth when we arrive there on Oasis of the Seas, and I'm wondering what the going rate for would be for a single party (of 6) for an air-conditioned van and driver for the day that we would not have to share with another party? Not that we're anti-social, but we would just like to go according to our own timetable.

We haven't decided on exactly what to do yet (i.e "Famous" Duns Falls vs. Secret Falls, Blue hole, Tubing, lunch, etc.) and I do realize some (blue hole $15) have a separate admission charge. Also, more from a bring enough cash rather than lost cost (nothing wrong with that) perspective, how much per person should we look to tip any "guides" or the driver, beyond the fixed costs?

An option for fish or veggie lunch included would also be a plus.

http://www.bookitvacationjamaica.com/cruiseship/FalmouthPrivateVan.html

We used this company in April when we stopped in Falmouth. There were 10 of us and we wanted a private van with a carseat to go to the beach for the day. The rate was $29/pp and he took us to Doctors Cave beach for the day which was about a 30 minute ride from the Falmouth port. Van was clean and air conditioned. The driver stayed with us at the beach so we could come back when ever we wanted. The price also included admission to the beach. Lunch was on our own...they have food/drink service on the beach.

http://www.bookitvacationjamaica.com/cruiseship/FalmouthPrivateVan.html

We used this company in April when we stopped in Falmouth. There were 10 of us and we wanted a private van with a carseat to go to the beach for the day. The rate was $29/pp and he took us to Doctors Cave beach for the day which was about a 30 minute ride from the Falmouth port. Van was clean and air conditioned. The driver stayed with us at the beach so we could come back when ever we wanted. The price also included admission to the beach. Lunch was on our own...they have food/drink service on the beach.

That seems to be about right - for a van and driver it seems that about $200 plus admissions for the day in Falmouth (also seems to be the rate for 3/4 hours in Cozumel) , assuming that admissions at the beach would be about $10pp.

For a smaller group (1-4), I'm just wondering how much would a taxi cost for a few hours - no guarantee you would get "good talk" from the driver, aside from getting you there, waiting, and going back.

We are going in a few weeks and got costs of about 30-35pp for the day on a group of 8. Admission to activities and tips are on us as is lunch, but won't have to worry about getting lost on the island. The operators know if they screw up, it will cost them in the future.

Just be careful of the time difference when making arrangements to meet your driver. There is a one hour time difference between Florida and Jamaica. We ended up standing outside for an extra hour waiting for him....our fault for not clarifying....he told us to be out there at 9am and we were........except in Jamaica it was only 8am.