MSC Roll Calls not well advertised

Aza1972

You don't have to read the posts that do not interest you,do you?

Thank you so much for pointing this out, however when I look at the general MSC section for posts which might be of interest, that´s where Divina is mentioned the most in the thread titles, so I can´t help but read it :)

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

OTS ... Other cruise lines on CC have all ships listed so that people can actually look at their chosen ship for a cruise and not have to trawl through everything Divina to find what they are looking for!

Even the host agrees that the MSC forum should be the same, people on other ships make posts that disappear due to the large number of people asking the same questions rather than doing a search first by themselves.

By listing each ship any posts are kept within that forum for those who want to read them or ask questions.

It cannot be difficult to change the MSC forum to mirror those of the other cruise lines.

Oh, I agree. I think it would much cleaner and easier to navigate if the roll calls were set up the same way as the other cruise line forums around here. But the roll calls are the only thing set up by ship on the other cruise lines forums.

1) For reasons given - the intolerable inane chat about nothing of significance which has already been covered a thousand times before.

2) 20 posters are enough to bring down a forum. Let's stick to topics and subjects.

For every 20 'Divina posers' there are 200 people keeping quiet because they don't feel they fit in.

Let us get back to some form of sense.

Are you serious???? As a new cruiser I might ask questions that others have already answered and I'm very sorry if that is "nothing of significance" to you, but I was hoping that CC was a place for everyone, new and old cruisers. How do you know that there are 200 people keeping quiet? If 200 people want to talk about another ship, they can just start conversations, that's what I'm doing. I'm afraid that this board will get very quiet once Divina leaves!

Are you serious???? As a new cruiser I might ask questions that others have already answered and I'm very sorry if that is "nothing of significance" to you, but I was hoping that CC was a place for everyone, new and old cruisers. How do you know that there are 200 people keeping quiet? If 200 people want to talk about another ship, they can just start conversations, that's what I'm doing. I'm afraid that this board will get very quiet once Divina leaves!

And comparing thread and post counts with other cruise lines, it must have been very quiet before the Divina got to the US.

And comparing thread and post counts with other cruise lines, it must have been very quiet before the Divina got to the US.

It was more balanced, focussed and more of a community with many long-running discussions. It was not overwhelmed with shallow questions which could be answered with a two second search.

I know the Divina is due to continue in U.S. mode when she returns to the Med but I am sure this will be for the benefit of repeat guests from her Miami experiment and not a serious attempt to steal new market-share from U.S. lines. The forum should regain some of its balance and focus.

1) For reasons given - the intolerable inane chat about nothing of significance which has already been covered a thousand times before.

2) 20 posters are enough to bring down a forum. Let's stick to topics and subjects.

For every 20 'Divina posers' there are 200 people keeping quiet because they don't feel they fit in.

Let us get back to some form of sense.

I'm interested in questions and discussion about the Divina because I'm going on her in just over two weeks.

I know we asked for the board and the roll call to be ship centric for ease of use and I'm very glad that the admins are reading and taking our requests forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was more balanced, focussed and more of a community with many long-running discussions. It was not overwhelmed with shallow questions which could be answered with a two second search.

I know the Divina is due to continue in U.S. mode when she returns to the Med but I am sure this will be for the benefit of repeat guests from her Miami experiment and not a serious attempt to steal new market-share from U.S. lines. The forum should regain some of its balance and focus.

I wonder if others are feeling this way cause this is not the impression I get on these boards. I thought that this was a place to seek information and a place to ask all kinds of questions.

I'm interested in questions and discussion about the Divina because I'm going on her in just over two weeks.

I know we asked for the board and the roll call to be ship centric for ease of use and I'm very glad that the admins are reading and taking our requests forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think separating discussion into 'general MSC' and then by ship would be the single biggest improvement that could be made. First it makes the poster think whether it is an MSC matter or a ship-specific matter. Second, we don't get inundated with ship-specific (for the moment it is Divina) posts on the general MSC forum. Also separating roll calls by ship would be a user-friendly and logical approach with absolutely no downsides.

Edited by Skipper Tim

I wonder if others are feeling this way cause this is not the impression I get on these boards. I thought that this was a place to seek information and a place to ask all kinds of questions.

It is a place for new and experienced people to come together to share opinions and information.

This forum has been swamped of late with Divina threads and whilst it is understandable with more CC members being from the US, for those of us with zero interest in sailing on that ship, there are days when there are no other threads about any other ship or region. I miss the international feel and to quote Tim "the balance".

Yes, I know no one is forcing me to read the multiple Divina threads, and often that is exactly what I do, just avoid them. Do I sometimes long for the way this forum used to be before Divina swamped it, yes I do.

It gets irritating when sometimes you have 3 threads on an identical subject running at the same time and still showing on the first landing page. I see the same or similar complaints on some TripAdvisor forums where people go there and ask the same questions over and over (e.g. Visas or airport transfers) without reading threads already there on the same subject.

I personally am happy to help people new to MSC and I welcome all your questions about Poesia.

Edited by AmoMondo

Looking at the thread and post count, there were not that many discussions and they were not very long-running.

I seriously hope you have an award winning personality in person because here online, with your Eurocentric dislike of Americans, not so much. :rolleyes:

It is for most people and almost everyone is happy to help with a smile.........except for some it seems.

I think separating discussion into 'general MSC' and then by ship would be the single biggest improvement that could be made. First it makes the poster think whether it is an MSC matter or a ship-specific matter. Second, we don't get inundated with ship-specific (for the moment it is Divina) posts on the general MSC forum. Also separating roll calls by ship would be a user-friendly and logical approach with absolutely no downsides.

Except none of the forums are set up that way. The roll calls are shipcentric but the actual boards are a free for all (as long as it is cruise line related) on CC. And the problem with subdividing the forums is that each time you subdivide, fewer and fewer people get to see those questions and therefore less of a chance of seeing those questions answered.

Edited by Out to sea!

It is a place for new and experienced people to come together to share opinions and information.

This forum has been swamped of late with Divina threads and whilst it is understandable with more CC members being from the US, for those of us with zero interest in sailing on that ship, there are days when there are no other threads about any other ship or region. I miss the international feel and to quote Tim "the balance".

Yes, I know no one is forcing me to read the multiple Divina threads, and often that is exactly what I do, just avoid them. Do I sometimes long for the way this forum used to be before Divina swamped it, yes I do.

It gets irritating when sometimes you have 3 threads on an identical subject running at the same time and still showing on the first landing page. I see the same or similar complaints on some TripAdvisor forums where people go there and ask the same questions over and over (e.g. Visas or airport transfers) without reading threads already there on the same subject.

I personally am happy to help people new to MSC and I welcome all your questions about Poesia.

If the Divina threads weren't there at all you wouldn't have much to read then. At least with the Divina threads you have the option of reading something if you choose.

I just find this thread a bit on the uppity side (or at least from some folks). I think it's good that the Divina has come to America, it has given the company some exposure in the US and frankly, IMO, it has breathed some life into these forums. MSC and NCL have the same number of ships and roughly the same number of berths and capacity. As of this morning, MSC has 7,272 threads and 74,693 posts in it's forums. NCL has 117,962 threads and 1,517,439 posts in it's forums. Seems to me the Eurocentric crowd really isn't into to talking about their cruises. Yes, some questions get asked over and over, but there is no requirement on these boards to use a search function and if someone does ask a questions that was just answered yesterday, it doesn't give other posters the right to get their panties in a wad in a fit of snootiness. ;)

OTS ... The problem seems to be that most people here of recent seem to think that prior to Divina being in Miami is that MSC have never been across the Atlantic, possibly more so because they were sailing out of FLL with Poesia and Orchestra to name at least two ships that have been there.

Out to sea,

your last answers to several posters are absolutely brilliant,and I applaud you!:D

I've been getting increasingly irritated by some posts,mostly by a few UK posters,but had not found the right words to respond. English is my second language,and sometimes it is difficult to find the perfect expression of my feelings(without breaking CC rules).

And to AmoMondo who says she "misses the international feeling" on this forum: I feel exactly the opposite as I read on daily basis posts from Australia,OZ,Mallorca(Spain),France,UK,USA,Canada....not international enough for you? Oh,and Denmark lately;)....

Edited by cruisingcanadian

If the Divina threads weren't there at all you wouldn't have much to read then. At least with the Divina threads you have the option of reading something if you choose.

I think the point was lost. We can't follow topics because they are wiped off the page by inane Divina questions.

I just find this thread a bit on the uppity side (or at least from some folks). I think it's good that the Divina has come to America, it has given the company some exposure in the US and frankly, IMO, it has breathed some life into these forums. MSC and NCL have the same number of ships and roughly the same number of berths and capacity. As of this morning, MSC has 7,272 threads and 74,693 posts in it's forums. NCL has 117,962 threads and 1,517,439 posts in it's forums. Seems to me the Eurocentric crowd really isn't into to talking about their cruises. Yes, some questions get asked over and over, but there is no requirement on these boards to use a search function and if someone does ask a questions that was just answered yesterday, it doesn't give other posters the right to get their panties in a wad in a fit of snootiness. ;)

"Uppity", "folks", "snootiness", "panties in a wad"? What language is this?

Read the forum guidelines. There is a requirement not to repeat the same subject.

We here are as helpful as can be. Equally, there is no harm in letting off some steam about the worst behaving members. They need to know.

I think the point was lost. We can't follow topics because they are wiped off the page by inane Divina questions.

True....many times the point is lost by how the point is worded such as your your response below. But unless you are only coming back to check every 10 days or so, I find it takes quite a long time for threads to get bumped from the first page of the forums. A check this morning shows a thread with the last entry a week ago still on the front page. Try the Carnival forums sometimes if you want to see fast moving threads where sometimes a thread gets bumped to page 2 in less than 6 hours! :eek:

"Uppity", "folks", "snootiness", "panties in a wad"? What language is this?

Read the forum guidelines. There is a requirement not to repeat the same subject.

We here are as helpful as can be. Equally, there is no harm in letting off some steam about the worst behaving members. They need to know.

The first line in this response is exactly what I mean. You are a seasoned enough traveler to know exactly what language this is and I'm fairly confident that even though I could have translated American "panties in a wad" to the British "knickers in a wad" for you, you didn't need such a translation. Hence, the snootiness of the response.

Yes, there is a requirement for the same person to not repeat subjects. There is nothing in the TOS about different people repeating the same subject. :rolleyes: If that were the case, each cruise forum would have about 100 or so topics and then everyone would stop posting.

By what you have posted lately, I disagree with you wishing to be as helpful as possible otherwise you would have no issue answering the same question to different people many times over. I know I have on the Carnival boards and I'm simply happy to have been able to help someone. I do not worry about how many times I've answered the question. And the fact that you think answering someone's question, just because said question has been asked before equates to they are behaving poorly just provides more proof to your aloofness on these boards. Quite frankly, the vibe I have gotten from your posts since I started participating on the MSC forums is that you seem to think of yourself as the owner and captain of a 50 ft yacht while only being able to afford an inside cabin (or as we say in America "champagne tastes on a beer budget").

But to end on a happy note for you Tim, I want to help make your day by letting you know I have decided to drop what has become my least desirable (because none are bad) cruise and cancel my Divina trip in December. Since I will not have an MSC cruise booked there will be no further need for me to peruse the MSC forums so this little corner of the CC forums will be a little less Americanized, something that should make you happy. Cheers! :)

Edited by Out to sea!

Knickers get in a twist in the UK, not a wad!

Sorry couldn't resist that but yes we know what you mean:)

I don't think "wad" directly translates to "twist". "Wad", in the current context sounds much more unpleasant to me and I don't want to go there. Just be grateful for washing machines and biological washing powder.

On the personal attack, I see nothing wrong with having "champagne tastes on a beer budget" when one only has a beer budget. More questionable would be having 'beer tastes on a champagne budget' or pretending to have a 'champagne budget' when one does not. Either way, it is unforgivably rude to seek to undermine someone's argument on the basis of their low budget.

I do answer the same questions, to the best of my ability, endlessly. The Divina ones are annoying because the answer can often be found just a few posts below. As I intimated above, if posters abuse forum etiquette, it seems fine to occasionally point it out.

The episode reinforces my support for separating roll calls and ship-specific discussion by ship.

Edited by Skipper Tim

in Australia it is getting your knickers in a knot.

how off topic has this topic become? It just proves the point, the MSC roll calls need to be clearly posted along with specific ship forums too so others aren't subjected to eager MSC cruisers who do want to find out as much about their ship as they can without bothering others who are fed up with hearing about it. Especially the Divina :rolleyes:

btw, I can't wait to board the MSC DIVINA from America.

in Australia it is getting your knickers in a knot

Aussies always have the habbit of nailing the English language!

The Brits English has become becalmed in their ancient past. The Northern Americans and other ex-colonies have drifted away. Aussies always come back to surprise, shock and amuse with sharp slang, witty truisms and bare-faced honesty that makes this Northener proud of our almost shared language.

"Knickers in a knot" it is.

I don't think "wad" directly translates to "twist". "Wad", in the current context sounds much more unpleasant to me and I don't want to go there. Just be grateful for washing machines and biological washing powder.

On the personal attack, I see nothing wrong with having "champagne tastes on a beer budget" when one only has a beer budget. More questionable would be having 'beer tastes on a champagne budget' or pretending to have a 'champagne budget' when one does not. Either way, it is unforgivably rude to seek to undermine someone's argument on the basis of their low budget.

I do answer the same questions, to the best of my ability, endlessly. The Divina ones are annoying because the answer can often be found just a few posts below. As I intimated above, if posters abuse forum etiquette, it seems fine to occasionally point it out.

The episode reinforces my support for separating roll calls and ship-specific discussion by ship.

The fact that you think my post is a personal attack while you go around condemning an entire nation is hilarious. I'm so happy I made the decision to dump MSC! Adios! :)

Edited by Out to sea!

Couple of things...MooMooCow, I am jealous. Just got off the Divina last April and have are already booked for Aoril 2015. It is a fantastic ship to sail on. Now, I was on a Music Theme cruise so a regular cruise may work a little different, but we had acoustic acts play in the atrium and we we were able to stand on that absolutely beautiful crystal staircase to watch. Even if your cruise has no music in the atrium you have got to see the staircase.

Out to sea, you mentioned something that may be of interest to the Powers That Be at CC. Over on the Tripadvisor forums they dedicate certain very knowledgable participants to be City Experts so to speak. They take a very active role in answering any and all questions pitched to them. I've gotten some amazingly valuable information from these wonderful folks in Cairo, Egypt, (all about the 800 year old Khan Al Kalili Market), Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, (she even sent me a discount coupon for the riverboat cruise to Millionaires Row) , Miami, Florida (Really cheap "hopper" buses from the airport to our hotel) and others. Though I am not delegated as an expert I know quite a lot about London and contribute over there often. I don't mind answering the same questions either because I have been in their shoes.

Maybe it would take some of the strain off everyone if CC started this practice......designate someone intimately knowledgeable in everything Divina or any other ship...just a thought.. Cheers, (and smooth sailing).