How easy is it to rent a car in Skagway?

hollymar

We had no problems renting a car for our trip in just over a week, but we booked it early. We went through Avis, no deposit required. We have Murrays guide, (google it) and will be looking through that later on. Supposedly the drive is quite nice and easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We just recently returned from our Alaskan cruise. We rented a car from Avis. Had it rented 3 months in advance. You do not pay for it until you pick it up. All their cars are new models. The drive to Emerald Lake was easy. You MUST have passports to clear customs. The scenery is unbelievable and well worth it. When we were picking up our car there were a few people in line who had not reserved cars and they were able to rent them that morning. However, you are taking your chances. If you don't have one reserved, get there early. I believe their offices opened at 8:00 and we were there before 8 and were about 8 in line. The only other car rental agency is Sourdough rentals and they rent out used reliable cars. We saw a couple of their vehicles

and one was a Chrysler Minivan that was approximately 10 years old!:eek:

just reserve the car from Avis online. super easy! all my research leads me to believe this is an easy and gorgeous drive. that's why I have my car already reserved for August 27 :) ps mine was $125 per day. gas is supposed to be about $30 so $155 for the 3 of us as opposed to a "tour" which would cost at least that for just one person. GREAT way to go!

We just rented from Sourdough in May. It was $80 total for a PT Cruiser with 150,000 miles. The car worked fine and was in good shape. We didn't get a conformation when we booked. The guy just said "I wrote your name down so you're good to go". He wasn't there when we picked up the car (medical emergency) but the guy from Green Jeeps gave us the keys. It all worked out fine and I would rent from them again.

We are taking the cruise from Seattle on August 24th, can anyone tell me how easy is it to rent a car and travel to emerald lake in Skagway?
You can check out Avis prices for the various sized cars for the date you want here:

Avis Rent A Car: Skagway

You may be able to pick up a car on the spur of the moment without a reservation, but why take the chance if you know that is something you want to do.

As others have said, it is a very easy, very scenic drive.

I second the recommendation to get Murray's Guide.

Even if you don't have a reservation and they are sold out in advance for the day you want, if your ship will be in Skagway until late that night you might try checking with them again in the afternoon the day you are there because some people take the drive early and then return the car.

It stays light out very late in the summertime. If you return the car after their office closes, you just park the car in their lot and drop the keys in their mail drop.

Although the most costly option (that isn't very worthwhile, in my opinion) there is also Green Jeep rentals.

We will be renting with Green Jeep, as it sounded like a great way to see the scenery (higher seats) for the 4 of us vs through car (lower seats) windows.;) Have also heard great reviews and people saying they would rent one again! May I ask why you don't consider this a worthwhile option?:rolleyes: Thanks!

We will be renting with Green Jeep, as it sounded like a great way to see the scenery (higher seats) for the 4 of us vs through car (lower seats) windows.;) Have also heard great reviews and people saying they would rent one again! May I ask why you don't consider this a worthwhile option?:rolleyes: Thanks!

"Higher seats"???? For what? There is no off roading, and you are driving the same road as everyone else. Green Jeeps are significantly more than a rental car, with the only difference being what you are driving- may be a big deal to some? and a few extra snacks. IT's the drive that's the "great experience", and maybe someone gets a kick out of driving/riding in a jeep? Depends how you want to get there?

You can check out Avis prices for the various sized cars for the date you want here:

Avis Rent A Car: Skagway

You may be able to pick up a car on the spur of the moment without a reservation, but why take the chance if you know that is something you want to do.

As others have said, it is a very easy, very scenic drive.

I second the recommendation to get Murray's Guide.

Even if you don't have a reservation and they are sold out in advance for the day you want, if your ship will be in Skagway until late that night you might try checking with them again in the afternoon the day you are there because some people take the drive early and then return the car.

It stays light out very late in the summertime. If you return the car after their office closes, you just park the car in their lot and drop the keys in their mail drop.

The previous time that we rented from Avis (2012) they had no cars available for walk-ups that day. You had to have a reservation. They were turning people away. If you want to do it, definitely reserve in advance!

My husband and I have made this drive twice by renting a car from Avis. We enjoyed it so much that we are doing the same drive in a couple of weeks. If the weather looks iffy when you arrive into Skagway, don't let this deter you. When you go over the first pass, the sun breaks out and it will prove to be the most beautiful scenery ever - at least this is our opinion! We always pull over many times to take pictures and, I am sure, will do so again this year. Enjoy!

"Higher seats"???? For what? There is no off roading, and you are driving the same road as everyone else. Green Jeeps are significantly more than a rental car, with the only difference being what you are driving- may be a big deal to some? and a few extra snacks. IT's the drive that's the "great experience", and maybe someone gets a kick out of driving/riding in a jeep? Depends how you want to get there?

I actually do prefer a higher seat, as I like driving our truck vs our car. A higher seat allows you to see over other vehicles and actually see farther distances while driving.;) Besides, driving a jeep will be fun, as well as scenic! I heard that, as well as the snacks, they provide an audio guide of the area comparable to Murray's guide. Someone also said that the jeep is allowed to travel farther than the car rentals, where the road becomes gravel instead of paved highway. True or false?:confused:

Back in the day, we rode our horses through the Ozarks and were blessed to experience views from the bluffs, where one could only go by horseback or on foot!!:cool: Wonderful memories of some awesome scenery! Alas, my horseback riding days are over but the memories are still vivid!!

I made the reservation months before our cruise, and don't think there were any available cars for walk-ups. We just got back and when we were in Skagway on 6/18, we left the ship at 8:00 and there were several people in line already. All had reservations.

It is an easy, and a beautiful drive. We had Murray's Guide and I think it is well worth the $5. We decided to get there (Emerald Lake) first, and do our stopping and seeing on the way back, just to manage our time. Great little bakery in Carcross - can't recall the name at the moment, but you turn off the main highway into town and it is easy to spot. Excellent sourdough cinnamon rolls, and free coffee with every bakery purchase. Unbelievable scenery, many chances to pull off the road, and I would suggest pulling into one or more of the boat launches to get an up close view of the water and mountain scenery.

Great little bakery in Carcross - can't recall the name at the moment, but you turn off the main highway into town and it is easy to spot. Excellent sourdough cinnamon rolls, and free coffee with every bakery purchase.

We stopped there yesterday - the Chilkoot Bakery ( http://chilkootbakery.com/ ) - it's just plain free coffee now, no purchase required. We got cinnamon buns and scones to go with the coffee, and some sandwiches to take up Montana Mountain with us (serious 4x4ing - not for rental vehicles). It was Winter up the mountain (got stopped by deep snow very low on the road), and 35 degrees in Whitehorse this morning - come on, Summer!!

Yes, that's it, Chilkoot Bakery. Very delicious. And I just assumed the coffee was free because we made a purchase! But it had a really nice, family run feel to it, so it doesn't surprise me that the coffee is always free.

I too highly recommend the Chilkoot Bakery, ate there twice in May. The have a great lunch special $13 for sandwich and soup that are home made.

This is run by the same family that is working on restoring and reopening the historic hotel across from the depot.

In my opinion having traveled this area multiple times over the years, this bakery is now the top food choice in the area.

We were thinking about renting a car in Skagway but my parents don't have passports. It seems that everyone that rents a car heads across the border. Does anyone have any recommendations without crossing the border?

No hiking as my parents are elderly.

Thanks in advance!

We were thinking about renting a car in Skagway but my parents don't have passports. It seems that everyone that rents a car heads across the border. Does anyone have any recommendations without crossing the border?

Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, it's not worth renting a car if you have to stay in the US. An option they could consider would be a round trip White Pass RR ride, Skagway Streetcar, Jewel Garden, Free Park Service visitor center. If they can do a short walk, the free walking tours are very informative and short.

We were thinking about renting a car in Skagway but my parents don't have passports.

is there not enough time to get passports?

are enhanced drivers licenses an option?

I think the border crossing is less than 10 miles out of town, so if you don't have appropriate documentation, a rental car isn't worth the expense. You could drive to the Goldrush Cemetary at the edge of town, but the town bus will work.

http://www.skagway.com

p.s. check to be sure your cruiseline doesn't require a passport.

Thanks in advance!

Although they can probably cruise with a BC and photo ID to Alaska (check with your cruise line), you need a passport to cross the border and come back. I wouldn't bother renting a car if I wasn't driving into the Yukon. If your parents don't get around so well, consider booking a ship's excursion since they'll put you on a motor coach. There's also a guided walking tour in Skagway that leaves from the museum, near the train depot. You have to get tickets when you arrive for a departure time, but it's free.

Lots of great tips on this thread and we have reservations with Avis but I'm a little worried about my fear of heights. Are there a lot of suspension bridges and steep drops on the side of the road?:( I think I can handle one or two suspension bridges but if it is six hours of steep winding road and drop offs I will be freaking out and my DH will not be a happy driver.