RCL Daily Food Budget Per Passenger?

Thanks for the info, however the link you posted is truncated.

Sorry, the thread comes up from the post #12 re same topic on Celebrity board.

It comes from a 2009 thread and the exact location of the quote is #4 post on that 2009 thread.

My knowledge of the system reaches a circle of a cul de sac at this point.

Do you think the budgets have gone up or down since 2009? Assuming 2009 budgets were written from early 2008?

Eve

Edited by EvelynAlexa

Attended one of the Captain's Corner sessions and the how much does it cost to feed the guests question was asked of the hotel director. This was somewhere around 2011 (don't remember which ship we were on), he said that Royal budgeted around $15 per guest/day wholesale. The figure seems in agreement with a number of other responses in this thread.

Sorry, the thread comes up from the post #12 re same topic on Celebrity board.

It comes from a 2009 thread and the exact location of the quote is #4 post on that 2009 thread.

My knowledge of the system reaches a circle of a cul de sac at this point.

Do you think the budgets have gone up or down since 2009? Assuming 2009 budgets were written from early 2008?

Eve

According to Royal management, when the new menus were rolled out in 2012/2013, they claimed to be spending more per guest. I don't recall any specific numbers being mentioned.

I haven't read all of the repsonses, but from the RCCL 2013 Annual Report http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-reportsannual:

Food (From the I/S under Operating Expenses): $469,653,000

Passaenger Cruise Days (From Passengers and Capacity): 35,561,772

This would imply $13.21 in food costs per passenger, per day.

With the caveat that this is for RCCL in total and not RCI. Also, I didn't read the footnotes to see if crew food costs are included in "Food" or some other line item like Other Operating. If it's even commented on.

I'm sure that RCCL has these numbers and absolutely keeps track of each and every different profit centre on the ship, however they amalgamate all the numbers into one general line for food expenses when making their public filings.

On this I would agree, the statistics they distribute for their public filings are much more broader in scope and generalized rather than identifying specifics.

I know $13.21 pp/pd doesn't sound like a lot, but do the math....a family of four spending that amount per person for a week (7 days) would spend almost $370/week on groceries...how many of us spend that? Not me:p

True. But - generally - many people eat more on a cruise than at home too...

I know $13.21 pp/pd doesn't sound like a lot, but do the math....a family of four spending that amount per person for a week (7 days) would spend almost $370/week on groceries...how many of us spend that? Not me:p

Take into account that what someone spend at home on groceries is the retail price, even if you go to a discount warehouse for groceries like BJ's or Costco; vs the cruise line paying wholesale and buying in huge bulk quantities.

Take into account that what someone spend at home on groceries is the retail price, even if you go to a discount warehouse for groceries like BJ's or Costco; vs the cruise line paying wholesale and buying in huge bulk quantities.

Bingo you win the prize I have been watching this thread and am in the food business. Cruise ships have contracted with major suppliers like Sysco and US food Services. They have special contracted pricing on what they purchase so that $13 goes much further then what anyone could spend on their own in a supermarket or a Costco etc. Not to mention the rebates that they get back on the amount they purchase when they hit certain $$ amount %

We pay more than that just in tips.

Food is generally good, but some spots have gone way down in quality like the windjammer (oasis class). Feel like I'm back at the Golden Corral buffet (minus the chocolate waterfall), getting elbowed for that last donut you know...

Edited by m*u*g*