Just off the Pearl - ask me questions!

db8mommy

Just returned yesterday from Alaska on the Pearl. Won't be home to write my review until Thursday but I'll happily answer any questions you have!

BG: me, kids ages 10, 4 and 1. Didn't do specialty dining. Excursions: white pass train, grizzly falls zip, hiked to Mendenhall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Are there cappuccino/espresso/hot cocoa machine in the buffet?

Thanks

Nope. Lots of coffee machines with decaf, regular and hot water. Tea bags and cocoa packets nearby. The best coffee machine imho is the one by the kids cafe on the right because it grinds the beans right before it dispenses.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

How was the hike? How long did it take and did u do it on your own?

I wished I had looked at my watch to be sure. A little background, I wore my 18 month old in a hiking backpack, it was 48 degrees and poured down rain the entire hike. There was much crying. I would guess about 30-45 minutes each way with kids.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

I have many questions!

OP have complained about the service in the Summer Palace. Did you dine there? Was it a long wait for dinner?

Can't wait for your full report.

Thanks

Joan (ERed hot nana)

We did lunch on embarking at ST and dinner one night there and then 2 dinners at indigo. Our experience was a little different on our sailing. There was a VERY large group sailing from the John Deere company. The night that the PP mentioned the wait being crazy at Indigo was the night that the John Deere people had SP reserved for the 1st 1/2 of the dinner shift. I began making it a point to swing by the John Deer table every morning to see how I would be inconvenienced that day.

As to the service, I was not impressed. Long waits for food, drinks, etc which was a problem with kids. We ended up at the buffet a lot, and other than dessert and the calamari, most of the times, the food was better on the buffet. Not impressed with the food on this ship at all.

thanks for the offer to help. On the Pearl late August (Sun to Sun)!

What themed things are there and when are they? White Hot Party - which night? "Formal" night is when? Anything else?

Thank you much!

Was "lobster night" on Monday and in the buffet?

No lobster was served in the buffet or MDR at all during the entire cruise. Very disappointed.

thanks for the offer to help. On the Pearl late August (Sun to Sun)!

What themed things are there and when are they? White Hot Party - which night? "Formal" night is when? Anything else?

Thank you much!

I'll have to double check my dailies when I get home tomorrow.

No lobster was served in the buffet or MDR at all during the entire cruise. Very disappointed.

I would be very disappointed too! Do you know if that is the norm on the Pearl, or maybe just because you had a big group aboard?

Spinnaker is where we spent most of the Glacier Bay day. Get there early as the good spots fill up. They serve a light breakfast and lunch in there that day. It's also where the Rangers are set up. The only thing I didn't like was that it was hard to get to an open deck for unobstructed pictures quickly.

Just returned yesterday from Alaska on the Pearl. Won't be home to write my review until Thursday but I'll happily answer any questions you have!

BG: me, kids ages 10, 4 and 1. Didn't do specialty dining. Excursions: white pass train, grizzly falls zip, hiked to Mendenhall.

We are doing a family reunion on the Pearl. Sail Date July 6th. We are a group of 16. Age Range

< 12 - 4

Teenagers - 2

Young Adult - 1

4 Couples - Age range mid 40's thur mid 60's

1 Grandma - 78

I have broken up my questions in to several parts

Food: the group has decided to pass on speciality dining (instead spend shore exc) and do it all in MDR or buffet. Will it be possible to even sit as a group in MDR, Indigo or other free places. Any tricks or insider tips.

There are a lot of complaints on general quality of food and service. Seems like this could exasperate with a large group.

Onboard Activities - Given our age range ...any exciting activities you would recommend either as a group of for the kids. The kids have high hopes on the pool....was it fun for your kids

Shore exc: We are doing most of the majors...private tour to Glacier, White Pass Train, Float Plane Ride , Zip Line etc. We have booked a few but we still have not locked down the zip line and a couple of other ones. Any vendor recommendations. We are not going to do any thru the ship.

Any thing else you can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I've been reading on CC that O'Sheehan's is replacing the Blue Lagoon and, perhaps more importantly, the brownie sundae is no more. Has that happened yet on Pearl?

Still the Blue Lagoon on the Pearl. The brownie sundae was available on the lunch menu but not the dinner.