Cruising with PCA (Positive Cruising Attitude)

Magickpyggie

In a previous existence I used to fly very frequently, up to 120 times a year on a wide range of aircraft and carriers. I learnt very quickly that making eye contact with the cabin staff and greeting them warmly on boarding worked wonders. Usually at least they would smile at me as they moved around the aircraft but often I would get extra drinks, etc. I use the same system when cruising and from the moment I step on the ship, I always make eye contact with all the officers and crew I meet and greet them as long lost friends.

In the corridors, at the Meet and Greets, whenever I meet people, I smile and say hello and as you are not encouraged to shake hands use the "knuckle" greeting. We have only had issues on two cruises, one Butler, soon moved and all the officers on a Star Baltic cruise, nothing worked there, but we were there for the scenery and it was fabulous.

If you have bothered to read to this point thank you for your patience. All I can say to people who have a bad experience on a ship, is did you smile and make the effort to enjoy the moment. So if you see a large silver haired guy smiling at you with PCA, smile back, it could be me.

In a previous existence I used to fly very frequently, up to 120 times a year on a wide range of aircraft and carriers. I learnt very quickly that making eye contact with the cabin staff and greeting them warmly on boarding worked wonders. Usually at least they would smile at me as they moved around the aircraft but often I would get extra drinks, etc. I use the same system when cruising and from the moment I step on the ship, I always make eye contact with all the officers and crew I meet and greet them as long lost friends.

In the corridors, at the Meet and Greets, whenever I meet people, I smile and say hello and as you are not encouraged to shake hands use the "knuckle" greeting. We have only had issues on two cruises, one Butler, soon moved and all the officers on a Star Baltic cruise, nothing worked there, but we were there for the scenery and it was fabulous.

If you have bothered to read to this point thank you for your patience. All I can say to people who have a bad experience on a ship, is did you smile and make the effort to enjoy the moment. So if you see a large silver haired guy smiling at you with PCA, smile back, it could be me.

A spot-on observation. I've crossed the 3 million-miler status flying as well, and agree 100% -- in all dealings with people, a smile and positive attitude goes a long way. I always ask my server/flight attendant/rep on the phone what their name is and try to ensure I at least once use their first name during our interaction(s).

I've worked in the service industry, and it's amazing how arrogant some people can be. I repeatedily drill into my children (now young adults) that while we may be more fortunate than some other people, we are not any better than anyone -- everyone on this earth is the same -- treat people as you want to be treated and hope for half back.

Magickpyggie, I think you are bang on... It works wonders in every facet of life. Since we're on a cruise forum, you know it's easy to tell who has the "PCA", and who doesn't, on the very first day of sailing.

You said it better than I ever could have, but my mantra has always been: "talk TO people, and not AT people." When mindful of that, especially with service personnel, I am rarely disappointed. I am not special or rich or important - but I make sure to talk TO people when on a cruise or at a restaurant or flying or traveling... and I NEVER get bad service.

Edited by SheepdogGriff

That is what I try my best to follow in life. It works wonders at work also. When I hear complaining, I remind my LVNs that we don't know what kind of day (insert person or persons being complained about) were having. We do have control over what OUR attitude will be though! It just makes everything better.

Thank you!

Since you mentioned flying. A few cabin attendants I know have said that one of the most infuriating things for them is when they first greet you and say 'good morning sir/madam, welcome aboard' and your reply is '34C?'. It would only take a second to say 'good morning' back, then 'can you tell me where 34C is please'.

When they told me I thought I hope I've never done that!

Great post by the way :)

Since you mentioned flying. A few cabin attendants I know have said that one of the most infuriating things for them is when they first greet you and say 'good morning sir/madam, welcome aboard' and your reply is '34C?'. It would only take a second to say 'good morning' back, then 'can you tell me where 34C is please'.

Wow. We are so excited to be going somewhere that we just give the attendants big smiles and say hello back. We also assume that they don't throw the seat numbers about randomly and that if we approach it logically, we will be able to find our seat on our own. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right!! I traveled full time for work and was always nice to everyone, smiled, please and thank you etc. Treating people as I would want to be treated. I used to get upgrades all the time at Hertz without ever asking and one time when there was a flight delay, I was standing in line to get rebooked and they took me aside and handed me a new ticket. I asked why and they said we always remember you because you're so nice and never blame us for weather delays. It made traveling so much more pleasant.

I would get fired on day one. I would probably say is that your bra size or I madam?

The op is absolutely right! It doesn't cost you anything to be friendly, polite and nice. I'm sure the crew runs into a lot of people without a PCA. Wouldn't it be nice to make someone's day simply by smiling, saying a kind word or even just acknowledging their existence? I know it makes my day to see others smiling and if it's because of me, even better! And let's remember, we're on VACATION! :)

Cathy

You're absolutely right!! I traveled full time for work and was always nice to everyone, smiled, please and thank you etc. Treating people as I would want to be treated. I used to get upgrades all the time at Hertz without ever asking and one time when there was a flight delay, I was standing in line to get rebooked and they took me aside and handed me a new ticket. I asked why and they said we always remember you because you're so nice and never blame us for weather delays. It made traveling so much more pleasant.

Yes, Hertz was the BEST at that. I had many flights into Orlando for family and business and my patience behind all the families as a business traveler usually got me a nice Mercedes convertible or significantly upgraded car by just being friendly and not yelling and screaming like the other (impatient) business travelers.

And, considering how many times a staff member has done something extra for us or given us something based on the fact that we smile and chat with them, it tells me how rare it is that people actually do that...How sad.

Good for all of you have posted here! We can make the cruise staff's jobs a little bit better by just acting like decent human beings :) Can't wait to do it again in less than two weeks!

I hope that I get to cruise with all of you at some point! Wouldn't it be lovely to have a ship full of pleasant, positive people?! It goes such a long way in life. It's usually within the first couple weeks of school that a student will first say to me, "How are you so cheerful all of the time?" or "You're always smiling!" I just figure, why not? We're all in a crowded, hot school building together...we might as well be pleasant! Plus, I work with teenagers, so some cheerfulness goes a long way in eroding their grouchiness :). People I know always find it funny that I get so much free stuff/upgrades when traveling...I know it's just because I'm polite and friendly to people who, unfortunately, many just treat with rudeness and disrespect simply because they work in service industries. Complainers might have less to complain about if they kept your "PCA" in mind, in life in general!

A little lingo goes a long way and brings heart felt smiles . :)

If you see a crew members name tag is from the Philippines .

Some basic Filipino

Good morning = Magandang umaga

Good afternoon = Magandang tanghali

Good evening = Magandang gabi

Thank you = Salamat

Your welcome = Walang anuman

Beer = alak

Try these few word . You Will get a smile . :D