How is "Blu" on the Millenium?

poolwife

Anyone tried Blu lately on the Millenium? I have read mixed reviews about it on "M" class ships because it does not have its own kitchen on the "M" class ships.

What did you think of "Blu" on the Millenium? I want to make sure it is still going to be worth the up charge from a regular balcony. I am booked in the newer deck 11 Aqua class cabins.

Thanks for your help.

Anyone tried Blu lately on the Millenium? I have read mixed reviews about it on "M" class ships because it does not have its own kitchen on the "M" class ships.

What did you think of "Blu" on the Millenium? I want to make sure it is still going to be worth the up charge from a regular balcony. I am booked in the newer deck 11 Aqua class cabins.

Thanks for your help.

We did AQ in Asia on the Millennium last year in a rear-facing cabin on deck 11. Food was good but the atmosphere was not the same and it seemed smaller and crowded. Had to wait for seats due to Suite guests. Much prefer Blu on the 'S' class ships.

Edited by rolfecms

We haven't been on the Millennium since 2009, but have done six cruises in Aqua --four on M-class ships and two on S-class ships. We haven't noticed any difference in the meals in Blu on M-class versus S-class ships. And I actually prefer Blu on an M-class ship as it seems more intimate.

Thanks for your help.

In May 2014, we were in Aqua Class on the deck 11 (1108) on our recent Transpacific crossing (Yokohama to Vancouver) on Millennium and we really enjoyed it. We have not been in Aqua on ''S' Class ships, so we can not provide you any comparison information. However, our overall Blu experience on Millie was very good... the food & the service was great and we did not have any 'wait time issues'. My wife loved having breakfast at Blu.

The Blu concept is one that we have enjoyed for three cruises. We prefer the smaller dining room and open seating, but after3 trips with no appreciable menu changes we have become bored with the same choices at every stage of the cruise and our next two are in "normal" cabins. Hopefully by the time we return the menus will have received a long overdue revamp.

We were on Millennium in the spring in SE Asia and, possibly because ours was the 3rd cruise in succession with Noro onboard, the service was a bit slow (everything having to be served - no bread, butter, condiments etc on the table) and we also felt that the Maitre d' did not have complete control of the restaurant, consequently the wait staff appeared to be frequently without adequate leadership or direction. As an aside, we also have an issue with their breakfast opening times which do not take account of early port arrival - crucial in SE Asia where the ship docks early as so many attractions are some hours from the port.

Most of the tables are for 2 pax, but their siting is such that you can easily converse with your neighbours (and, as open seating applies, they changed virtually every night) or not as you (or they) choose; it's like going out for dinner every night for 1 or 2 weeks with your wife/husband/partner!

All that said, we do like the ambience and the feeling of being "special" and we will return to Blu in 2016.

Inevitably, this is rather subjective I'm afraid, but I think you should give it a go.

• 9 months later...

Wondering if we don't care for the menu one night in Blu and we want to go to the main dining room, is that a problem? Can we just go to Select dining?

I mean I can't imagine we "Have" to eat every night in Blu?

Please help!

yes, you can generally eat in the MDR...but talk to the Blu Maitre d' first.

We've done 4+ cruises in aqua...we like the atmosphere and quiet of Blu....however, on our last cruise on the infinity, we had to wait up to 30 minutes for seating if we arrived anywhere around 7-7:30. I suspect it was due to allowing suite guests to dine there, irrespective of aqua passengers waiting...due to Celebrity's "suite guests can do anything" position. We actually booked our next cruise in concierge with select dining to avoid the waits and to have some different menus (the blu menus are essentially unchanged...so after 4+ cruises, you get tired of seeing the same things).

Hopefully Luminae has eliminated the wait for seating.....it hasn't changed the menus in blu.

I recommend you book in aqua...deck 11 is very quiet...great place to be. Enjoy Blu. After 3 or 4 cruises in aqua, then you can worry about the menu's not changing :)

ghstudio:

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Our 10 night cruise on the Millennium leaves on May 12 out of Vancouver. I am excited to try Aqua class and Blu for the first time. We got a good deal only paying $400.00 for the cabin (not per person) more than a regular balcony so we thought it was our chance to try Aqua class.

We are on deck 11 so hope we like it as well as you do. I have read so many mixed reviews about Blu. Some people wouldn't cruise without it and others can take it or leave it.

So we will judge for ourselves this time.

Also thinking of trying out the Olympic restaurant for the first time as we have alot of OBC. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Sherry

Sherry,

First of all, I am a Blu fan. We've sailed in Aqua four or five times on several M class ships and are looking forward to two more sailings this year. While there is not a separate kitchen the food is prepared as ordered so it is fresher. The waiters can customize your selections too.

With the assistance of the maître 'd you can dine in the MDR anytime you wish.

The wait time should be minimal with the advent of the suites restaurant. We've never had to wait more than 15 minutes and that was at prime time on a sea day, probably formal night as well.

One of the biggest advantages you have is your cabin and its location. You can easily head down to the aft bar or up to 12 for those glorious Alaska moments.

Enjoy

ghstudio:

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Our 10 night cruise on the Millennium leaves on May 12 out of Vancouver. I am excited to try Aqua class and Blu for the first time. We got a good deal only paying $400.00 for the cabin (not per person) more than a regular balcony so we thought it was our chance to try Aqua class.

We are on deck 11 so hope we like it as well as you do. I have read so many mixed reviews about Blu. Some people wouldn't cruise without it and others can take it or leave it.

So we will judge for ourselves this time.

Also thinking of trying out the Olympic restaurant for the first time as we have alot of OBC. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Sherry

Sherry,

You should also be aware that you are able to order items from the "every day" side of the MDR menu while sitting in Blu. I love the shrimp cocktail, escargot, and French onion soup, to supplement my meal choices from the Blu menu.... especially if a particular days menu leaves you uninspired. The "every day" entrees and desserts can also be ordered in Blu.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you so much for the information. I didn't know you could order some of the dining room food in Blu.

What if say the MDR is serving rack of lamb (which I love) one night and I don't like anything on the Blu menu? Can I order the rack of lamb from the MDR?

Do you just ask the waitstaff for the MDR Everyday menu?

The easiest thing is just to have a glance to the menu posted at the entrance of the MDR before going to Blu. The best is to take a picture with your cell phone since it's not possible to remember everything!

My wife is also a fan of the rack of lamb; it's often served in the MDR on the formal night.

Edited by vivi9909

On the M class ships the Blu restuarant was a add on using part of the MDR. it doesn't have a separate kitchen like Blu does on the S class so it shares the same kitchen as the MDR. Because of that is possible for the server to obtain items that are on the MDR menu.

As earlier posted photograph the MDR menu to make it easier to order.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞