$100 tip for butler?

sho

I can't imagine measuring the tip for anyone based on the cost of the cruise: based on the length yes!

Why is that? When you go out to dinner, your tip is based on the entire price of the meal. If you were in the restaurant for 1 hour or 2 hours, you would probably still base the tip on what you paid for the meal, no?

I'm just saying.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Why is that? When you go out to dinner, your tip is based on the entire price of the meal. If you were in the restaurant for 1 hour or 2 hours, you would probably still base the tip on what you paid for the meal, no?

I'm just saying.

wasiii

food servers are not quite the same as service provided by room stewards, butlers, etc. With you way of thinking, cabin stewards who go above and beyond should be paid more by those in balcony cabins that the tips they should get from the person in the inside cabin across the hall or NCl should start charging the DSC based on the cost of our cruise.

food servers are not quite the same as service provided by room stewards, butlers, etc. With you way of thinking, cabin stewards who go above and beyond should be paid more by those in balcony cabins that the tips they should get from the person in the inside cabin across the hall or NCl should start charging the DSC based on the cost of our cruise.

Just as a point, I was not saying to do this. I just questioned you as to why you said that.

wasiii

The question actually is, if I make all my own arrangements and reservations, how much should I tip the concierge?

Personally I also make my own reservations. I want the concierge to invite me to things that I can’t arrange myself (example, pre chocolate buffet tour, bridge tour, etc). But that’s just me.

Not to change the thread but does anyone know where, or if Adrien is still a concierge with NCL?

Thanks

If he doesn't do anything for you, why would you tip him? Are you planning on tipping the maintenance people too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I agree I don't pay more than $100. either! I think a lot of people here write BS about what they actually do tip ;-)
Before I left for my first cruise in a suite, I came on here and ask how much I should tip the butler and concierge. I got answers from $30 a week to $500 a week. Now, maybe these folks tip that, I don't really care what they do, but I came up with my own number, which is pretty much in agreement with some others on her. But in reality, it really shouldn't matter to anyone else what someone tips or says they tip. People should only be concerned with what they do, not what others do. If someone ask what they should tip, I never tell them what to tip, just tell them what I do.

Before I left for my first cruise in a suite, I came on here and ask how much I should tip the butler and concierge. I got answers from $30 a week to $500 a week. Now, maybe these folks tip that, I don't really care what they do, but I came up with my own number, which is pretty much in agreement with some others on her. But in reality, it really shouldn't matter to anyone else what someone tips or says they tip. People should only be concerned with what they do, not what others do. If someone ask what they should tip, I never tell them what to tip, just tell them what I do.

Well said!!

I agree....well said....our first ncl cruise found us bumped up from a hc bal to aft hc suite.....only had a couple of days to research...took an amount of money to tip....after being mostly ignored by the butler and concierge we gave most of that tip to an outstanding room steward ....this guy practically followed me off the ship to tuck me into a cab!.....he was awesome...did not miss a suite on my next cruise at all....

Assuming the butler is given $140.00 for seven days for two people in a suite. Assume he is responsible for ten suites. That's $1,400.00 per week.

Now assume he works 15 hours per day. That works out to $13.33 per hour. How many of you folks work for that amount?

And don't forget, he probably has to share some of that with his relief person.

You're right-- that isn't very much. Plus, I did a quick Google search to see how much cruise staff gets paid, and I found butlers make a base salary if $1500+ a MONTH. I'm not sure how recent that is, so don't take it as fact, but it's probably somewhere in that neighborhood.

That's not very much -- even with tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For six people with normal requests how much would be appropriate. Concierge too. Ive made all our dining and show ressies so thinking we would use butler more. Thank you.

We had a wonderful butler this trip- first time someone went above and beyond. There were 5 of us. By above and beyond I mean he didn't

Ignore us! We have had a few wretched butlers in the past.

This trip was Great. We had our snacks delivered, he readied the room for my son's birthday, brought cookies a few extra times, was generally sweet and attentive. He would keep cakes refrigerated and leave notes about it for us.

Our steward was a doll and kept our cabin in immaculate condition- left the kids multiple towel animals eac day...little things that made the stay special. concierges visited us twice a day at least, helped with lost room keys and made our stay more pleasant..we had our own ressies as well. Did help with a problem with boarding passes .

We left the butler 200, the steward 100 , 50 per concierge . We had no out of the ordinary needs .

The butler and steward were very appreciate of the tips and left a darling note and towel animal circus for us on the last evening to thank us.

Assuming the butler is given $140.00 for seven days for two people in a suite. Assume he is responsible for ten suites. That's $1,400.00 per week.

Now assume he works 15 hours per day. That works out to $13.33 per hour. How many of you folks work for that amount?

And don't forget, he probably has to share some of that with his relief person.

$1,400 a week is still a lot of money. If all suites give $100 tip, he has $2,400 a week or more than $10,000 a month.

Excuses me, I realise the 140 a week is tipping?

So correction: let's say $1,500 a month as a salary. Ten suites a week makes 40 suites a month. Average tip, let's say $100 aweek. Making a total of $1,500 + $4,000 = $5,500. Up to each individual to decide if this is too much or a correct salary for the work a butler does.

Edited by MiniJeffrey

Who cares how much they make, tip what you feel they should get.

At home do you decide who gets a tip based on what they make. Do you not go to a particular business because they are doing well.

That is the the silliest basis for tipping, get good service tip what you want.

So correction: let's say $1,500 a month as a salary. Ten suites a week makes 40 suites a month. Average tip, let's say $100 aweek. Making a total of $1,500 + $4,000 = $5,500. Up to each individual to decide if this is too much or a correct salary for the work a butler does.

Or, we could stop worrying about whether he makes too much...?

Just enjoy the service, pay a reasonable gratuity in appreciation, and move on.

This ends up feeling like the typical process for getting anything built. A modern jetliner contains over 350,000 parts.

The majority of which are purchased from parts companies....which bid the lowest price.

Paying a premium once in a while, turns out to yield benefits.

We had a wonderful butler this trip- first time someone went above and beyond. There were 5 of us. By above and beyond I mean he didn't

Ignore us! We have had a few wretched butlers in the past.

This trip was Great. We had our snacks delivered, he readied the room for my son's birthday, brought cookies a few extra times, was generally sweet and attentive. He would keep cakes refrigerated and leave notes about it for us.

Our steward was a doll and kept our cabin in immaculate condition- left the kids multiple towel animals eac day...little things that made the stay special. concierges visited us twice a day at least, helped with lost room keys and made our stay more pleasant..we had our own ressies as well. Did help with a problem with boarding passes .

We left the butler 200, the steward 100 , 50 per concierge . We had no out of the ordinary needs .

The butler and steward were very appreciate of the tips and left a darling note and towel animal circus for us on the last evening to thank us.

Thank you for taking the time with your detailed response.

I greatly appreciate it.

Ill be on the Breakaway next Sunday and cant wait!

You're right-- that isn't very much. Plus, I did a quick Google search to see how much cruise staff gets paid, and I found butlers make a base salary if $1500+ a MONTH. I'm not sure how recent that is, so don't take it as fact, but it's probably somewhere in that neighborhood.

That's not very much -- even with tips.

don't forget they also get room and board. I don't think most butlers are starving or even suffering from lack of income. They are supposed to fall into the 1% category!!! that being said, I do not know there really is a standard tip. It has to be up to individuals and yes, what the butler does for you. There will be 5 of us in the cabin, but I can't imagine any of us being demanding in anyway. We might choose to have breakfast delivered one morning, I don't know. Other than that I doubt we will use him for much.

Edited by newmexicoNita

don't forget they also get room and board. I don't think most butlers are starving or even suffering from lack of income. They are supposed to fall into the 1% category!!! that being said, I do not know there really is a standard tip. It has to be up to individuals and yes, what the butler does for you. There will be 5 of us in the cabin, but I can't imagine any of us being demanding in anyway. We might choose to have breakfast delivered one morning, I don't know. Other than that I doubt we will use him for much.

Like JS said, not matter what you give them or what you have them do for you, I'm sure they'll be happy they got something :)