Complicated question...situtation

My husband and I booked a kid free, anniversary cruise set for this coming November out of Florida. We booked in spring of 2013.

We have paid the majority of the cruise, have paid for plane tickets, and booked our accommodations. Our final payment date is fast approaching (Aug 15).

My situation is complicated now...my father has stage 4 cancer... and has for the past 53 months. He has FAR out lived expectations, however it appears we are finally out of medical advancements (chemo, radiation, etc) to prolong his life. He is starting a clinical trial today but there is not much hope that it will buy much time, if any.

Despite the above, my father is still quite active and looks, for the most part, pretty healthy, but he condition is changing. I have asked numerous times, and various way to both my father, and his medical staff about "time" however no one can give me any answers other than "only God knows" (which I understand).

Both my husband and I still greatly desire to complete our travel plans if at all possible, however if my father is gravely ill or close to death (within the last weeks or month) then my place is with him.

SOOO....is there any insurance I can add to my travels at this late date that would cover me if my father is indeed close to dying/gravely ill?????

Guest maddycat

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. My guess is that it is too late for you to buy insurance that would cover your situation. However, I suggest that you ask an expert.

I buy my travel insurance through the trip insurance store. Go to their website, get their phone #, call and ask one of their agents. They'll be able to answer your question. They're very knowledgeable.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/index.shtml

I also am very sorry to hear about your Dad and am no insurance expert but it seems as though trying to buy insurance now to cover the possibility of cancellation due to his health/death would be like buying fire insurance while your house is burning.

Maybe I'm wrong. Consult an expert.

Best Wishes.

Edited by sail7seas

Okay, you have a couple options at this point:

- Many cruise line "in house" policies are available up until Final Payment day, and include a 100% Cancel For Any Reason waiver for your cruise fare. The waiver is usually paid in the form of a cruise credit, although I know at least one (HAL) that pays in cash. (For your plane ticket, you are just going to have to eat the change fee if you cancel) However, if you have to leave your cruise early to make a fast trip home... that's gonna hurt; off the top of my head, I don't know of a single line-sold policy without a stiff pre-ex clause. You are going to lose your fare and will pay out of pocket for any last-second travel arrangements to get home.

- You can purchase a policy that does not consider the pre-existing conditions of a non-traveling family member (a trip insurance broker can help you out there; TravelEx is one, and I'm sure there are others), or purchase a policy that offers a pre-ex waiver up until final payment (some CSA and HTH policies) and cross your fingers that in the case of a claim they would still consider a "turn for the worse" as an "unexpected event". I will advance no prediction on how that would turn out.

You don't have any sure-fire options here... it goes without saying that the best time to purchase would have been when you put down your deposit. You will have difficulty finding a policy that will pay as a "sure thing" for obvious reasons: if people only purchased insurance if they expected to use it, insurance would be rather unaffordable.