Why Does Carnival Still Print" Fun Times"

hattack

I agree that doing away with the paper fun times would not be a good idea, but I think developing an app that would be availble for those that want it would be cool.

The app would allow you to view the fun times and then create a custom schedule for the next day.

The app could also be set up to make reservations in one of the Specialty restaurants, check S&S balance etc. I am sure there is much more technology available that carnival could incorporate.

I agree with the original poster that we should have a choice - let the nerds be nerds, let others have worry-free vacations with paper and highlighter(s).

Hey, watch it! :D :p I work in IT (the nerd/geek part), and this is specifically why I took up cruising. I don't want someone who thinks my name is Heycanuhelpme---as in "Hey, can you help me with this self-inflicted computer problem"---to call or e-mail me on what's supposed to be my worry-free vacation, where a TV is as high-tech as it gets for me.

The paper Fun Times are great the way they are. They don't require a phone app, electricity, batteries, etc. But why not compromise: let people choose the format of their Fun Times when they book the cruise! They already do that with dinner seatings and pre-paid tips. This way, the Club O2 set and tech fans can use their phone apps, and burned out office workers can get away from technology. Win-win.

I too, look forward to receiving a new Fun Times every evening in my cabin along with my towel animal. This is part of the "fun" of cruising. When my family cruises we turn off all our electronics for the entire week and put them in the safe, no phones, no emails, no computers, AND no thank you to an electronic Fun Times which means I have to fool around and worry about my phone all day instead of one little piece of paper! I paid to go on a cruise and part of the "experience" is a ship itinerary waiting for us every evening with towel animals and chocolates! One last question, how many of you still get your daily city newspaper delivered to your home because you enjoy reading it that way? And what about all the magazines you read? Just food for thought.....

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

Agreed! My husband and I love settling in the evening, relaxing with a drink and looking through the FunTimes to figure out what's going on the next day. I also enjoy carrying around the tearout portion to keep with.

I'm all for technology, have a smart phone, ipad, laptop etc but this is one instance where I would personally use the old fashion way. I like to leave my phone and all electronics when I'm on a cruise, it is part of the draw for me.

Never mind the fact I'm not a big fan of all the new technology anyway...I like to keep the Fun Times for souvenirs to re-read at home and share with others.

For a multi cruiser, the paper becomes a waste of space, after 3 cruises, I stopped accumulating the Capers as they were formerly called.

I agree with the poster who said the Fun Times are just an envelope for all the other ads they put inside - stuff which I never glance at, I just immediately discard in the waste basket in my cabin.

I also agree with the poster who wished for less annoying and redundant pronouncements from the CD who proclaims when the next "can't miss" event like inch of gold or art auction is being held - after all, it's in the Fun Times, right?

I love having my copy of the FunTimes to read in the evenings while in jammies before going to sleep, but what I would love to see is blue recycle boxes around the ship so all the paper that we are given could be placed in there and off loaded at the end of each cruise. That way we would be helping to save a tree or two and there is cost recovery in it for Carnival.

Based on this thread alone, Carnival will probably 86 their planned app that would enable cruisers to message each other for free onboard the ship with their smart phones. Too bad.

Based on this thread alone, Carnival will probably 86 their planned app that would enable cruisers to message each other for free onboard the ship with their smart phones. Too bad.

I doubt it. while it seems many people here don't want an app, have you looked at the rest of the world. Like I said before, people are using phones for everything, Have you tried buying a GPS in stores lately? There used to be 15 or 20, now, maybe 1 or 2. Camera's are all special, ie DSLR, Waterproof.. Kids version. There are very few basic digital camera's. Phones are becoming the all in one device. Carnival will need to make an app, because it may end up being a deciding factor for some people very soon.

Just because Most of the people here are saying they don't want it, doesn't mean carnival will listen. Carnival will still print paper ones for those like the people here who still shop for typewriter ribbon and film for camera's. But they cannot avoid progress, and social trends, no matter how many people on a forum complain about technology

I doubt it. while it seems many people here don't want an app, have you looked at the rest of the world. Like I said before, people are using phones for everything, Have you tried buying a GPS in stores lately? There used to be 15 or 20, now, maybe 1 or 2. Camera's are all special, ie DSLR, Waterproof.. Kids version. There are very few basic digital camera's. Phones are becoming the all in one device. Carnival will need to make an app, because it may end up being a deciding factor for some people very soon.

Just because Most of the people here are saying they don't want it, doesn't mean carnival will listen. Carnival will still print paper ones for those like the people here who still shop for typewriter ribbon and film for camera's. But they cannot avoid progress, and social trends, no matter how many people on a forum complain about technology

I was thinking about what you said about shopping for a GPS or camera. I can't remember that last time I went to a store to shop for anything like that. I do most everything online. I have a total of 3 bills that I mail in because they don't have online capability. All the others I use an online bill pay service. One click and they're all paid. I wonder how long it would take for us to end up back at "Little House on the Prairie" if doomsday scenarios came true. LOL

Completely disagree on several fronts. First of all, I highly doubt a couple-paged thread on CC is going to make Carnival 86 anything. Secondly, while I'm against having my FunTimes via app format, I am all for free onboard messaging. These are two different things.

Completely disagree on several fronts. First of all, I highly doubt a couple-paged thread on CC is going to make Carnival 86 anything. Secondly, while I'm against having my FunTimes via app format, I am all for free onboard messaging. These are two different things.

Then I would bet that you'd use the Fun Times app if it was available, right? If they had both apps, I mean. Since you would already have your phone with you, most likely. :)

Edited by EZ4

Then I would bet that you'd use the Fun Times app if it was available, right? If they had both apps, I mean. Since you would already have your phone with you, most likely. :)

More likely built into one app

I don't take my I-pad on my cruise vacations and my phone goes in the safe until we disembark. I think it is important for my family to disconnect for 1 week out of the year, if not more. Love to get the Fun Times in our cabin every night to plan next day activities.

While we are on the subject... I also loath restaurants that give you an I-pad to order! Feels like I am at work......boring !!!!

I carry my phone with me while cruising--after all, it's also my camera and my watch. I would use the app, but, like the others, I still love the printed version, and would sorely miss it if it weren't in my cabin next to the towel animal every night. It may sound silly to some, but for me it's just part of the cruise experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Again, I ask, how many scanners/kiosks will there be available (and working) at any given time for people to figure out where they want to be next?

Say I'm laying in my lounger poolside, and I remember that there's "something" that I wanted to do/see. I have to get up, locate a scanner, hope there's no line to use it, to find out where and when I need to be someplace?

Just so much easier to look at the paper copy I got last night. No sense in getting out of that lounger any sooner than I need to.

Haha...that is where i do my favorite fun time reading! Or while at lunch. Or just having a drink after we have gotten back on the ship in a port. We love just sitting and chatting about what we feel like doing next.

I can see the idea of the tech being an option, but to me it is not at all appealing.

I don't carry my phone around the ship but I love that nifty little tear part of the fun times to carry around.
\

I pack my phone away shut off because I can't afford (or refuse to afford really) the international rates that would apply if I received a text message or voice mail.

Does not the technology exists today that a "chip" can be implanted onto your S&S card that will contain an "app" that holds a "cube" that you can customize your daily schedule instead of printing a paper daily "Fun Times"...Carnival could place scanners all around the ship where you could swipe your S&S card to receive updates and changes or link it to a kiosh

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has such an "app" today that you can download on your tablet or cell phone...would not work on a cruiseship because of high charges for wifi and roaming cost which means most folks turn off their devices for the entire length of their cruise

Is JH and "the suits" working on this to be beta testedon the next generationvessel

great idea!

\

I pack my phone away shut off because I can't afford (or refuse to afford really) the international rates that would apply if I received a text message or voice mail.

Put phone in Airplane mode. still plays music, takes pictures, allows you to fling birds at pigs, read books, whatever you want to do, and no fees

Put phone in Airplane mode. still plays music, takes pictures, allows you to fling birds at pigs, read books, whatever you want to do, and no fees

Thank you. That's excellent to know. I finally have a smart phone so this is all new to me!

Thank you. That's excellent to know. I finally have a smart phone so this is all new to me!

No problem. also, wifi works in airplane mode, so if you want to, you can get the internet package and keep it in airplane mode to check into your flight home and avoid the lines at the computers. Thats what I do if there's a sea day on the last full day. I'm lucky enough to have a company paid plan that's worldwide, so I just ignore calls I dont' want to take on vacation, but I NEVER shut it off completely, I'd fly home from whatever port is next if there was a family emergency, and couldn't forgive myself if something happened, and I couldn't be reached just because I'm on vacation, but had the capability to be.