Eastern Med - Fly from London to Rome/Transfer

Tel1234

We are just back from the Eclipse Baltic cruise and while on board booked for the Eastern Med which is a fly cruise. We asked about flight times but were told these were not available. They have just come through today and the flight to Rome is at 7.00am. The problem is that my husband has health issues and I think this is going to be difficult for him, especially combined with the fact that following landing at 10.30 am at Rome you then have to get to the ship.

If we do cancel, then we will transfer the booking to another no/fly option.

We could stay overnight at an airport hotel, but I would imagine that check in is at 5:00? Which would mean getting up at 4? While anyone would find it tiring I think we might have taken on too much.

Has anyone any experience of the transfer?

We just did it though ours was Birmingham to Rome, I'm in a wheelchair. we made sure we were fully packed so there was nothing to do the day before the trip, so we could relax, if you are busy packing just before bed its harder to sleep. We got up early the day before traveling to make sure we'd be tired early then went to bed about 8.30pm and then got up about 3.45am to travel.

It was fine though you don't get to see Rome this way.

Just spend the extra money when you get on to have a nice relaxing lunch in Bistro on 5/Porch to avoid the busy buffet and a relaxing afternoon in the sunshine at the sunset bar and then get an early night as if its the same as our itinerary the next day is Naples where there is lots to see and some of it physically demanding (Pompeii, Herculaneum)

Edited by noggy1980

We had an earlyflight to Venice last year.

As it is at least a 3 hour to to Heathrow from where we live , we decided to stay in an airport hotel the night before.

It was the best decision we made, as the traffic was horrendous and it ended up taking us nearly 6 hours in the end.

We checked in to the Sofitel attached to Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

I had a long and very needed relaxing bath.

It was fabulous in the morning, didnt have to get up and travel at all (just walked with our cases on the walkway) to the Terminal.

It was the most relaxed I have ever been whilst travelling.

I have to say though, at first, I did begrudge having to pay for the hotel on top of everything else, but its definately how we will travel in the future.

We always book a hotel near the airport the night before we fly even though we are in easy driving distance of Gatwick and Heathrow.

It means packing is done earlier and we can chill safe in the knowledge we haven't far to travel even at silly 'clock in the morning.

Premier Inn do great deals if you book well in advance.

We have a disabled son who also gets tired therefore I know where you are coming from.

We have flown to both Rome, at 7am and Venice, at 4.30 am with Celebrity. We always have a hotel next to the airport the night before and sometimes you will be able to book in your luggage the night before meaning you only have hand luggage to worry about in the early morning. The week leading up to the holiday we try to change our sleeping pattern by going to bed earlier this enables the whole family to get a good nights sleep before the flight. We always up grade our flights to Premium Economy where possible.

We always have Celebrity transfers. We have never been kept waiting as the coaches seem to leave regularly and we have always been put straight on to the next available bus. From Rome it was an hours coach ride. We got to the ship by about 12 noon and were in our stateroom at 1.30pm having ate lunch. Our son had a nap before the lifeboat drill and was then set to enjoy his evening meal and entertainment.

Venice is harder as the flight maybe via an airlines hub. It took us 8hours with a four hour stop over in Frankfurt. I would ring Celebrity and check you have been allocated the best flight possible. There may be a charge. However the transfer was only 20 minutes.

I think it is doable and we really enjoyed both cruises. I hope you decide to go.

Venice is harder as the flight maybe via an airlines hub. It took us 8hours with a four hour stop over in Frankfurt. I would ring Celebrity and check you have been allocated the best flight possible. There may be a charge. However the transfer was only 20 minutes.

wow thats ridiculous, it's a 2 hour flight from venice to uk. I'd have gone mad if they had given us that. Well it took us about 3 as we were sat on the runway waiting for a slot for quite a while but it was a very pleasant flight.

Have you asked about a later flight. We flew to Rome last week to meet an Oceania ship and we had a BA flight from Gatwick at 9:10am. We had booked an airport Hotel so we had as much of a lie in as possible - we're not getting any younger!! It's about 2 1/2 hours to Rome then you lose an hour but we were at the ship at 2:30pm

I think they have given you a very early flight...

Have you asked about a later flight. We flew to Rome last week to meet an Oceania ship and we had a BA flight from Gatwick at 9:10am. We had booked an airport Hotel so we had as much of a lie in as possible - we're not getting any younger!! It's about 2 1/2 hours to Rome then you lose an hour but we were at the ship at 2:30pm

I think they have given you a very early flight...

Thanks - took your advice and they have now booked us on the 8.20am which they said was the latest flight time that would allow for the transfer. It will really help, plus I have also booked the Sofitel as suggested by another response so feeling more relaxed about it all now.

Thanks again.

That's a better time, another hour and 20 mins all helps at that time of the morning!. We stayed at the Sofitel too - its a lovely hotel and right at the terminal which is really handy. Glad you got a result.