car rented in Skagway - Now what?

BRDbabies

yes, drive up to Emerald Lake through the Yukon. download Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway for detailed info about things on the drive. on the way you can stop at Carcross, the Yukon Suspension Bridge, the smallest desert in the world. there are many threads about this. this is what we are doing too, as opposed to taking the train up to the Yukon.

Yes, what SparkleBee said. When I wrote a review of our 2012 cruise, here's the snippet where I talked about our adventure:

In Skagway, we had pre-reserved a car with Avis ($121 for the day, gas extra) to take a drive into the Yukon up to Emerald Lake (bring your passports, you need to show them both ways!). Note that Avis lists their location on their website as 2nd and Spring Streets, but there's nothing at this intersection. They are actually located on 3rd, in part of a little building that looks like a Motel. Despite the weather being cloudy, slightly foggy, and raining a bit up the pass, and drive afforded amazing scenery. We even saw three black bears along the road and took pictures (from our car of course!). We used Murray's Guide to help us find sites along the way (you can google this online, it's a $5 downloadable pdf). We stopped briefly in the little town of Carcross before heading to the Caribou Crossing dogsled camp. We did ride the wheeled cart pulled by he dogs, which at $30 per person for 15 minutes was a bit pricey, but it was a neat experience all the same. As it was pretty wet out you didn't want to snuggle with the dogs so much, but there were puppies you could hold and get pictures with and so forth. There's also a cafe and gift shop. After driving back to Skagway we also took the side road to Dyea and visited the cemetery there. The entire trip was about 7 hours, with frequent photo stops.

Everybody will need passports with the above drive.

I would also suggest, you find out about the Klondike Highway and Dyea Road. There are some excellent tours of Dyea available, with plenty of hiking options.

Other area excellent for hiking is right from downtown Skagway to the Dewey Lakes.

What was the reason you rented the car to begin with? Any interest in getting to Emerald Lake? (which is merely a scenic turn around point)

When I was there (Without my family) five years ago I did the hikes from town and they were nice, but I kept hearing that the best way to do Skagway was in your own car, and head to Emerald Lake. But I figured there would be much more to do as well along the way! So I went ahead and reserved the car and now am just making the plans for the day! Thanks for the suggestions!

We are a family of five (three late-teen girls), very active and have decided to rent a car in Skagway to get out of town for a bit - any suggestions for what we should do?
With five people, I would suggest renting a minivan.

You will all be a lot more comfortable than crammed into a regular car.

With five people, I would suggest renting a minivan.

You will all be a lot more comfortable than crammed into a regular car.

But TWICE as expensive!! We have 6 in our group, so we needed a minivan, and it's costing a fortune... but still less than taking everyone on the train.

We actually rented an SUV identical to the one we drive at home so it will be fine, considering that the girls will be more than used to co-occupying the back seat as we are travelling half way across Canada before we board the ship!

Looks like the drive to Emerald lake, with stops at the Carcross Desert and perhaps the dog sled camp to play with a puppy?

But TWICE as expensive!! We have 6 in our group, so we needed a minivan, and it's costing a fortune... but still less than taking everyone on the train.
Not always that much more expensive. Prices fluctuate with supply and demand.

The last time we rented a minivan from Avis in Skagway, it was only $15 more than the sedan we were originally planning to book. But that was a couple of years ago.

If minivans are not available on the website for the day you want, sometimes you can get one if you talk to them directly. Even if you have booked a sedan in advance, there is no harm in asking if they have a minivan available when you get there.

Sometimes you can get lucky. Other times the minivans will really be sold out.

We did the same drive, downloaded Murray's Guide and had the greatest of times. We decided to leave a bit later, so as to avoid many other with the same idea. We love the idea of going at your own pace, stopping when you want, for how long we want. we packed a picnic lunch which we ate at Emerald Lake.

Here are a few our pixs from this great day

Leaving the Skagway area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain388-1.jpg

Stopped to take a p[ix by a water full and a bear was about 50 feet from us walking across the road

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain386.jpg

Driving along, just taking in the amazing sights

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain397-1.jpg

Entering the Yukon was a real treat (make sure you have your passports or you will not be allowed in)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain397-1.jpg

Bought some ice cream in Carcross

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain418.jpg

Finally, Emerald Lake

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain427.jpg

Also take a stop at the little desert, and always be watchful for eagles and bear. They are all along the route.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Not sure how expensive but http://www.skagwayadventures.com/4x4_tours.asp

Is an option. Private large suv with guide and totally customized tour...I was looking at doing it but couldn't justify the price since I am traveling alone

Not sure how expensive but http://www.skagwayadventures.com/4x4_tours.asp

Is an option. Private large suv with guide and totally customized tour...I was looking at doing it but couldn't justify the price since I am traveling alone

$100 an HOUR?! :eek:

I'm getting the minivan for less than $250 and we can use it all day. It seem outrageous for a one day car rental, but it's cheaper than any excursion we could take with 6 people.

actually, the use of a car and guide for an hour for $100 doesn't seem that outrageous to me. you are paying for the guide's expertise, time, and the use of his vehicle. just my 2 cents...

Not so bad if you only do ONE hour, but we want to go into the Yukon and will spend 5-6 hours easily. We have Murray's Guide and have been there before, so we really don't need to spend big bucks on a private tour.