corking fee

Hi, soon to be 1st time cruiser here. I see we can bring 2 bottles of wine with us when we cruise. Just checking on the rules that says if it's consumed in a public place there is a $25 corking fee. So, if we chose to drink this wine in the privacy of our cabin or on our own balcony, the corking fee doesn't apply? Wanting to make sure, thanks.

Hi, soon to be 1st time cruiser here. I see we can bring 2 bottles of wine with us when we cruise. Just checking on the rules that says if it's consumed in a public place there is a $25 corking fee. So, if we chose to drink this wine in the privacy of our cabin or on our own balcony, the corking fee doesn't apply? Wanting to make sure, thanks.

Correct, the fee may apply if you take the bottle to a public venue. Note that you can take glasses of wine anywhere, without fees.

Edited by clarea

Correct, the fee may apply if you take the bottle to a public venue.

We discussed corkage fees with our waiter on the Freedom and he said they never charge the fee. So "may" is accurate. If you want to bring a bottle, check with your waiter beforehand to see if a fee will be charged.

We always bring wine on board. Usually champaign that we will sometimes take to a public area. Never a problem. You can bring a corkscrew, but as mentioned, the Cabin Attendant will be more than happy to bring one to you, along with glasses. About the only place you might get hit with a corkage fee would be in a the MDR or a specialty restaurant. But in the MDR if you open the wine and bring it in, or simply bring in a glasss, it likely won't be a problem. They are always more than happy to accommodate you. Just know that it could happen and be prepared if it does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you uncork the bottle in your room and just bring it into the MDR no one will say anything. Its like when you order a bottle and take the remaining with you at the end of your dinner. I have never heard of anyone being charged the corking fee. We have even taken wine to the Windjammer and we just ask for a couple of wine glasses and have never had any issues.

Rob

So, if I bring an unopened screw-top bottle of wine into the MDR and then open it myself to have with dinner, I won't be charged a corking fee?

Not necessarily. The corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork. It's all about bringing wine into a public venue. You are subject to the fee if the wine is corked or uncorked.

Not necessarily. The corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork. It's all about bringing wine into a public venue. You are subject to the fee if the wine is corked or uncorked.

I can tell you this: If I bring wine into a venue and it turns out to be corked, I'm not paying any fee! I'll just hand them the bottle and tell them to pour the contents down the drain! :D

I can tell you this: If I bring wine into a venue and it turns out to be corked, I'm not paying any fee! I'll just hand them the bottle and tell them to pour the contents down the drain! :D

I agree!:)

We also always travel with cork screw, I do not mind paying the 25, but on last cruise 2 months ago took nice bottle into the Italian restaurant and they did not charge me a corkage fee, I did give him a very nice tip, ALL the lines charge corkage fee.