First time in Jamaica!

meggie711

We are headed to Jamaica on our cruise next year, and it will be our first visit. We're really excited, but have no idea what to do! We'll be docked at Ocho Rios. It will be me, hubby, and our 5 year old son. We're hoping to take a ride to a beach, enjoy some local food, etc. We're not really wanting to do any of the big cattle-lines to attractions, and would prefer a beach area where we could maybe snorkel (bringing our own equip), rent kayaks or other water sports, etc. Any suggestions?

We went to Montego Bay last year and it was my first trip to Jamaica. I heard so many horror stories and was almost afraid to even leave the ship. I'm so glad that we did!!! We had a blast. We booked a day at Sunset Beach through resortforaday.com. I'm pretty sure that they have places in Ocho Rios, as well. I can highly recommend it! Ours was all-inclusive, including food and drinks. Although we don't drink alcohol, they had plenty of virgin pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris that we loved. The food was great and I've told DH that I'd love to go back just for the food.

Sunset Beach had not only the beach but a water park, as well. It wasn't huge but something that your 5 y/o would enjoy, I'm sure. They picked us up at the port and returned us at the end of the day. It was so nice; we will definitely be back.

I would check it out and see what they have available for your port. I think you and the family would love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, if you're looking for an AI then the posters above got you all covered lol. If youre not and you're just looking for some nearby beaches, then there are two, both walking distance. Turtle beach is to the left when you exit the terminal and marguritaville + beach is at the top of the road and on the right.

Havent been to turtle beach in ages but its still a nice beach for relaxing and enjoying day with decent facilities. Marguritaville is nice, not as big a beach as turtle, but its a nice atmosphere and good facilities + food and drinks.

If you'd want a bit further away beach, reggae beach is pretty nice, its about erm 20-30 mins drive away tho.

anything else lemmie know and I'll gladly assist.