Bringing wine onboard San Juan

Ed

I know it says you are allowed 2 bottles per cabin but heard that they were more forgiving in San Juan? is that true?

Also how is the 2 bottles per cabin monitored? Say a wife goes through with two bottles and the husband follows with two bottles but he is few people back from his wife. They got separated in line? So the make a note somewhere that your cabin Leeds checked through two bottles?

We haven't done this in San Juan, but we've pulled it off in several other departure ports. Each of us has carried 2 bottles in our carry-on bags, and we manage to go through security slightly separately. Basically, the only people checking will be those security people around the x-ray machine, and all they want to know is that it's wine and not booze. There is nobody checking cabin numbers.

I will admit to a little bit of caution in that we don't put all 4 bottles 'out' at the same time in our room aboard the ship. We keep 2 out and 2 in the closet until we're ready to open them.

Judy

We had two in carry on and were checked as we walked in. There is a shop inside the terminal that you can get on/off the ship and buy more if want more and don't go through security again. If you come in separately, security wasn't checking who was with who, so you can probably get two with each of you .

I cruised out of San Juan last week. I carried 2 bottles in my carry on. No one asked to see them. Who knows if they even knew I had them. More than likely, you will be able to get more than 2 on the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Juanrod

Thanks for the info. Was this wine store in the Pan Am pier terminal in San Juan? How was the selection of the wines and prices? We are sailing with RCCL.

Hi Juanrod

Thanks for the info. Was this wine store in the Pan Am pier terminal in San Juan? How was the selection of the wines and prices? We are sailing with RCCL.

Yes, there is a duty free store in the terminal. They sell cigarettes, wine, rum, bottled water, etc. Wine selection was not that great.

When you say you have them in your carry on, may I ask exactly how you do that? Do you wrap them in something so they don't hit against each other and break? Is it a large handbag you use or small suitcase?

We usually put one bottle in each of our tote bags so they are not banging together.

What a great screen name! Yes, we wrap the bottles either in bubble wrap or put a hand towel between the bottles. Or you could put a swim suit between if you want to carry it on board to use before you get your luggage. I use a large tote bag, and my husband uses a smaller bag. We each carry one two bottles.

Edited by 39august

When you say you have them in your carry on, may I ask exactly how you do that? Do you wrap them in something so they don't hit against each other and break? Is it a large handbag you use or small suitcase?

We each have a small roll-aboard suitcase carryon. I usually use some bubble wrap (the small bubble kind) around the bottles to cushion them and put each pair of bottles in a big ziploc bag. (The ziplocs bring home damp stuff, dirty clothes, or anything that could break or leak on the trip home.) Works for us!:)

Judy