New Orleans Hotels- Holiday Inn questions

cruzinlisa

I am trying to find a precruise hotel for October and I think I have it narrowed down to two places, Holiday Inn in Metarie or Holiday Inn Downtown/Superdome. Both have a park and cruise package, which we need.

Metarie is $30-35 dollars less, but that is not a big issue. Holiday Inn Metarie has a shuttle too and from the port for two guests. The third guest allegedly is $20 each way to ride the shuttle. However, I am not sure if they will charge that amount or not. Our third person is our 3 year old DD, who could sit on one of our laps and not occupy a seat. However, if they do, that is $40 to consider, which basically wipes out any cost savings. Also, it would include breakfast and a welcome cocktail for DH and I.

Superdome does not include a shuttle, but from what I can tell it is closer to the port- like a mile. So transportation should not be too high. I do not believe breakfast is included, but that is not too much of a factor, since we can grab something small and cheap.

So the deciding factor may be the atmosphere. If there are more things to do around the Superdome than the other hotel, then that would make a difference. But we will not have a lot of time in town, as we will probably arrive in the afternoon before our cruise and will have a 3 year old. So it will mainly be dinner and possible a little exploring.

Thoughts or opinions.

I am trying to find a precruise hotel for October and I think I have it narrowed down to two places, Holiday Inn in Metarie or Holiday Inn Downtown/Superdome. Both have a park and cruise package, which we need.

Metarie is $30-35 dollars less, but that is not a big issue. Holiday Inn Metarie has a shuttle too and from the port for two guests. The third guest allegedly is $20 each way to ride the shuttle. However, I am not sure if they will charge that amount or not. Our third person is our 3 year old DD, who could sit on one of our laps and not occupy a seat. However, if they do, that is $40 to consider, which basically wipes out any cost savings. Also, it would include breakfast and a welcome cocktail for DH and I.

Superdome does not include a shuttle, but from what I can tell it is closer to the port- like a mile. So transportation should not be too high. I do not believe breakfast is included, but that is not too much of a factor, since we can grab something small and cheap.

So the deciding factor may be the atmosphere. If there are more things to do around the Superdome than the other hotel, then that would make a difference. But we will not have a lot of time in town, as we will probably arrive in the afternoon before our cruise and will have a 3 year old. So it will mainly be dinner and possible a little exploring.

Thoughts or opinions.

We're staying at the Holiday Inn-Superdome next April and will be interested in any feedback on this as well. I thought I'd read in a review of this hotel that there was a shuttle to the port...? Maybe not...?

Holiday Inn Metarie: free airport shuttle. Taxi to the port will cost about $33 for 2 people (not sure they would charge for the child). Not near the French Qtr.

Holiday Inn Superdome: No airport shuttle. Taxi to the hotel will cost about $33 for 2 people (not sure they would charge for the child). Taxi to the port the next morning will cost $7/person (again, not sure about child). Near French Qtr., within walking distance (Canal St street car or cab). If you want to experience the French Qtr, stay here.

Crusinlisa - you did not give the date of your stay - only the month. (disregard - I just saw you are leaving on 10/13) Although this hotel is several blocks away from the Superdome, please keep in mind that the New Orleans Saints will be playing a home game at the Superdome on October 5th at 12 noon. (other games that month are either away, a bye or at night). You will need to allow extra time to get to the port from both locations. Once the game starts at 12 noon, you will not have a problem until the game lets out and you will be on the ship by that time.

As far as atmosphere, the location in Metairie has a shopping center nearby, but it is on the other side of the interstate, so you cannot walk. There are quite a few national chains and local restaurants within a very short drive in Metairie. Most are on Veterans Memorial Blvd, so just a few blocks away. There is Lafreniere Park (http://www.lafrenierepark.org/) that is a straight drive from the hotel down West Napoleon Ave, but that would be it for a small child. It has a carousel, water spray park (closes in August) & some nice playgrounds.

Keep in mind that if you drive into New Orleans, you will pay for parking almost everywhere. The fee varies depending on the location. Meters are free on Sunday, but not on Saturday. If you just want to rest, Metairie will be fine. I would call and ask what they would charge for a 3 year old on the shuttle - you may need a seat belt.

Check the New Orleans section under Ports of Call on this website, too. I think the charge to go to the port from the hotel in the city is usually $7/each for a taxi. Call the hotel - they will know. I doubt if many hotels in the city have shuttles to the port. This hotel is on the edge of the business district.

There are quite a few places for children in the city - especially age three. We have a wonderful Children's Museum in the warehouse district (you can find metered parking), the Audubon Zoo (free parking, too) and the Aquarium which is about 2 blocks from the ship at the foot of Canal St. They do offer discounted parking at certain lots.

Edited by Lynda59

Can't advise ya on the Holiday Inn's but when we come to New Orleans.....we always stay out in Metairie at a Sleep Inn. We just like saying out there because it is quieter and you don't have the hustle and bustle of the downtown area.

The free shuttle service will be worth it to me to stay in Metairie