Is it too late?

beacha

I booked a cruise with a $50 deposit per person. If I cancelled, I would lose $100. Final payment is in one week. Will a company still insure my trip? Should I buy the insurance before final payment? Thanks for any thoughts!

sure, you can still purchase travel insurance.

There are only 1 or 2 policies out there that will still allow you to cover pre-existing conditions though. I'm not aware of any 3rd party policies that will include a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider this late in your booking process. Only the cruiselines insurance may cover that rider still.

FYI. I read your other thread. Buying insurance today so you can cancel then rebook for the cheaper rate, will not cover the $100 cancellation fee.

Edited by klfrodo

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your thoughts. I will probably call Carnival tonight to inquire about changing to the senior rate and maybe even their insurance, since it it so close to the cruise. Again, thank you very much.

You can purchase insurance any time until the day before you walk out the door. What changes as time marches on is what is covered.

Starting the day you place your deposit, you'll lose the ability to insure against anything that looks like it's going to occur between now and your trip. (i.e. A strike gets announced, you lose the ability to receive coverage for it, even if it hasn't happened yet. A doctor tells you you'll need surgery right in the middle of your trip. etc...)

10-15 days or so after deposit, you lose the ability to purchase a 3rd-party Any Reason policy. You also lose the ability to obtain a pre-existing condition waiver with many 3rd-party providers.

Once final payment hits, you lose your ability to purchase 1st-party policies entirely, and you can no longer obtain a pre-ex waiver from anybody.

Thank you for your reply. I did change my rate to senior , adjusting the fare from $2065 to $1680. I put a deposit of $400 tonight with the stipulation to pay the rest tomorrow This gives me time to decide about insurance. Carnival offered us a policy that covers "everything" ( need to read this in the morning) for $95 per person. It sounds reasonable to me. I have used Travelguard in the past so I guess I will call them in the morning.

Thank you for your reply. I did change my rate to senior , adjusting the fare from $2065 to $1680. I put a deposit of $400 tonight with the stipulation to pay the rest tomorrow This gives me time to decide about insurance. Carnival offered us a policy that covers "everything" ( need to read this in the morning) for $95 per person. It sounds reasonable to me. I have used Travelguard in the past so I guess I will call them in the morning.

It's a little pricey but it does include the Cancel For Any Reason. A couple of gottchas with that. You have to cancel at least 48 hours before your trip begins ( Not sure, but that could mean that "trip Begins" when you walk out your front door) and the policy only pays 75% Future Cruise Credit if you cancel using the Cancel For Any Reason provision. If you cancel for a "Covered" reason, then you will be reimbursed whole