Dining and Drinks Questions

We are 1st time cruisers going to the Bahamas on an 8 day cruise this summer. One way we plan to keep costs down is not purchasing a drink plan for the three of us. What are the drinks we will have access to? I am thinking water and coffee. This is just about all we drink anyway, but is there anything else?

Also, I'm a little confused about the dining. From what I understand, we can eat at any time at some kind of buffet place. But two nights are formal dining? How do we figure out which two nights those are? Are there any other dining tips we should know about? We don't plan to eat at any specialty restaurants, also to keep costs down. We preferred to splurge on a balcony room and do excursions at the different ports.

They will tell you in the daily planner when the formal night is but you don't have to dress up if you don't want to. You can get juice during breakfast only.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

You don't need a drink plan if you're just going to drink water and coffee. You can purchase a number of bottles of water on the first day or pre-order. Coffee is available all the time in Sorrento and all the different dining rooms for free.

The ship will announce the formal nights after you board. You should have dinner in the MDR (main dining room) on those nights. Otherwise, Windjammer (the buffet) is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner; check the hours inboard your ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure which nights will be formal but there is no extra cost in the main dining room on those nights or any time MDR is open for any meal

also depending on the ship there are some 24 hr places that are also free to eat.

room service is also free, small selection, there WILL be a small cost between midnight and 5am however

Yes you can take your meals in the windjammer buffet, but you can also eat every night (and lunch on sea days) in the main dining room for no additional charge. The MDR (as it is usually referred to here) is in the style of a nice restaurant and the menu changes daily. Waiters will bring you more than one dish for each course if you can't decide which you prefer. On second formal night (on US cruises) they serve the fisherman's plate which includes a lobster tail.

Enjoy your cruise!

They are reasonable. Yes, I believe RCI will let you bring a case of water on board. Personally, I have enough luggage to carry and don't want to lug a case of water around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the cost of an individual bottle of water is and a can of soda?

Can of soda is $2.88 with gratuity. See the post above for prices of water. I think one 1L bottle is something like $4 plus gratuity.

A can of soda yields 2 glasses (with ice)....you will need to drink the equivilent of 3+ cans per person, per day to make the "soda package" pay for itself. The soda you get on the package is from a "gun"...not a can or bottle....it's what they pump from the bars..fountain soda.

Edited by cb at sea