Kayak? Not the booking service

WestLakeGirl

Has anyone here ever brought a kayak on board? Inflatable or otherwise? Friends just asked and I said I would ask the board.

I haven't brought one onboard, but I am an avid sea kayaker and thought of just this since I could drive to the port in NJ and would love to do some paddling in Bermuda but I ended up deciding to fly from Boston. Maybe I should change that ;) It seems that most tropical ports don't have the type of Kayak a serious kayaker would use. I could also see someone doing this on a new england cruise as some of the best places to paddle in the world are the coast of Maine (my paddling grounds, but I've paddled all over). The challenge with bringing a sea kayak onboard is the boat is longer than just about any cabin on the ship :D They'd have to store it down below, the same as the do the motorcycles on the motorcycle cruises.

You could easily bring an inflatable or folding kayak onboard, but you'd have to get it to the port. I have had friends fly with them so it's definitelly possible. It could go in a corner of the cabin, or even out on a balcony. You'd also need to get the paddles there and of course a PFD though an inflatable one would travel more easily. 2 piece paddles are generally too long to not pay extra fees on flights, so many use 3 or four piece paddles which can be found or made by all of the major paddle manufacturers.

I have a friend who has a bolt together kayak that is used for expideitions that could be a really neat options.

Please let me know what they end up doing and how it goes.

Happy sailing,

Jenna