Gluten Free on Explorer

Hello!

I don't post very often, but I read many of the threads. I am hoping that someone will be able to answer a few questions for me. My mom is a very sensitive Celiac and must eat a 100% gluten free diet. I have filled out all of the appropriate forms and just sent an email to glutenfree@rccl.com.

1. Does Sorrento's (the pizza place in the promenade) have gluten free pizza? I'm hoping to find an alternative to Windjammer's for the first day. Is it something that they keep on hand?

2. Does anybody know if Johnny Rocket's has a dedicated fryer for their french fries? That would mean they have a separate fryer for anything breaded (chicken, onion rings, etc)?

3. Any other suggestions for a successful gluten free vacation?

Thank you for any help that you are able to give me! I have sailed on the Explorer multiple times before, but without my mom. I just want to make sure that she doesn't spend her vacation sick from cross contamination. ;)

Hello!

I don't post very often, but I read many of the threads. I am hoping that someone will be able to answer a few questions for me. My mom is a very sensitive Celiac and must eat a 100% gluten free diet. I have filled out all of the appropriate forms and just sent an email to glutenfree@rccl.com.

1. Does Sorrento's (the pizza place in the promenade) have gluten free pizza? I'm hoping to find an alternative to Windjammer's for the first day. Is it something that they keep on hand?

Yes. She will have to wait for it to be prepared as it's not something they have cooked and ready to go. Typically 10-15 minutes after being ordered.

2. Does anybody know if Johnny Rocket's has a dedicated fryer for their french fries? That would mean they have a separate fryer for anything breaded (chicken, onion rings, etc)?

Can't help you there as my partner isn't sensitive to fryer cross contamination.

3. Any other suggestions for a successful gluten free vacation?

I would stay out of WJ. Cross contamination is a serious issue. There are plenty of dining options where cross contamination can be better controlled than a buffet.

Thank you for any help that you are able to give me! I have sailed on the Explorer multiple times before, but without my mom. I just want to make sure that she doesn't spend her vacation sick from cross contamination. ;)

Wind Jammer is a cesspool of cross contamination. I would refrain from eating there if your mom is highly sensitive. My partner is not celiac, but sensitive to gluten, and eats GF. He can eat in the WJ without issues, but other may not be the same. The dining room is open for lunch on sea days as an option, or there is always Sorrentos, or Johnny Rockets.

For eating in the dining room -

We have found that more than not the dining room staff had no idea my partner was GF despite having it on our reservation and contacting special needs. The first night is always the biggest disappointment in the dining room. I'm not sure if it is because they are not prepared or what the deal is, but the GF meals are always awful. The menu is also clearly marked as to what can be prepared GF, not necessary that they are GF, which helps. The first night after you have completed your meal the server will visit your table with the next nights menu. S/he will explain the options to your mom, and she will place her order. Maybe it's the advanced notice to the kitchen staff that improves the GF food after the first night - we aren't sure.

They also have "bread" available. My partner and I both find it disgusting, but some people rave about it. To each their own there.

If you have any other questions let me know. We have done several cruises with my partner being GF, a few with my mom and aunt who are also GF.

Edited by rummenroman

We cruised with my sister-in-law (who has Celiac's) on the Explorer last October. She was very pleased with the eating situation. She had no problems in the Windjammer. We ate lunch there a few times. The MDR was excellent. Hope this helps. She simply spoke with the Maitre 'D and the Head Waiter the first night and they bent over backwards to serve her!

My husband is Gluten Free. We ate at Johnny Rockets. They explained to us it was going to take longer to get the food because they use the dedicated gluten free fryer to fry his fries in the dinning room. The fries looked different than mine too. I think the fries at Johnny Rockets were coated, but the ones they fried in the dedicated fryer were gluten free. The dinning room was good about gf as well. If you want gf pancakes, gf french toast or a gf bagel for breakfast in the dining room you need to order it the night before with your waiter.

While Sorrentos will prepare a GF pizza (there will be a wait), I don't recall there being one on Explorer.

Correct, on EX, the pizza is all slices from Cafe Promenade. Not sure if Cafe Promenade makes GF pizza.

Thank you for all of your answers. I truly appreciate it! For some reason my email was not deliverable to glutenfree@rccl.com. Does anybody know of any other email(s) I should use?

We don't mind waiting for 15 minutes for gluten free pizza. As long as my mom has something that is 'safe' to eat, it can take as much time as needed.

Thank you for all of your answers. I truly appreciate it! For some reason my email was not deliverable to glutenfree@rccl.com. Does anybody know of any other email(s) I should use?

We don't mind waiting for 15 minutes for gluten free pizza. As long as my mom has something that is 'safe' to eat, it can take as much time as needed.

Try [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse]. If they cannot handle your inquiry diirectly, thay can forward it.