Just off the Solstice - 6/20-6/27

BuckeyeMark

Sorry you had so many issues......:eek:

Question.....was this your first Celebrity cruise?

I look on the back of the door to see where my muster station is....can't

remember the last time my cabin attendant gave me that information.

Life jackets? Haven't needed to bring them with you in at least 2 or 3

years.

TV screen?......I am guessing this was your first S class ship?

As for the Captain's accent? They are Greek:)

I have been on a four day mini cruise on the Mercury so this was only my second cruise with Celebrity.

I have been on around fifteen cruises with Princess, three or four with both NCL and RCCL, one on HAL

and one on Cunard.

I did see on the door where our muster station was but didn't see anything about the life jackets. On

most cruises we get to have a brief meeting with the room steward sometime after getting to the cabin.

Perhaps it was just a rare occurrence that we didn't see him the first day.

Accents are always an issue when cruising and we have learned to adjust. This captain's accent was so

strong even when straining we had no idea what he was saying. If we had been cartoon characters

there would have been "thought balloons" above our heads.

One other little detail I forgot to mention was the security line when returning to the ship. On all of

the other lines I have been on there is a security line you must go through when returning to the ship.

Passengers bringing back items must have them screened though the xray machine which can

take a while to get to the xray machine when there are a lot of people. It has always been possible

though for people who have nothing to be screened to pass quickly through the screening area but

on the Solstice everyone was in the same switch back line so you had to inch your way up to the

screening area before you could avoid the xray machine and pass through the screening device.

For anyone getting off the White Pass train in Skagway and returning to the ship the line will snake

down the pier and you will wait a very long time to get through security.

Could you give me an idea of the passenger mix? Were there a very large number of children onboard?

Yes there were. I took a 5 day Alaskan cruise in May of 2012 on Princess and my two college aged daughters were about the only young people on board. The demographic on Princess for that cruise was most definitely older - older than the wife and I (we're late 40's).

This cruise was different. The demographic was about where we are but there was a good mix of all ages. And I saw a lot of kiddos.

Edited by BuckeyeMark

Yes there were. I took a 5 day Alaskan cruise in May of 2012 on Princess and my two college aged daughters were about the only young people on board. The demographic on Princess for that cruise was most definitely older - older than the wife and I (we're late 40's).

This cruise was different. The demographic was about where we are but there was a good mix of all ages. And I saw a lot of kiddos.

Do you know the name of the one way Catmaran tour at Tracey Arm, I can't find it on the web site.

Do you know the name of the one way Catmaran tour at Tracey Arm, I can't find it on the web site.

I believe it is JU94 and listed in Juneau excursions.

It is $199 PP.

Could you give me the actual name of the excursion and where it can be found on the web site. I went into the excursion area and the computer will not give me any excursions for Tracy Arm. I did the filters a couple of times and all I get is Juneau excursions, nothing for TA. It says there are 95 of them but they are nowhere to be found. Celebrity's wonderful web site strikes again. Thanks for any info.

I am sorry I missed your question. I think it's been answered - and yes, it's impossible to find.

But the excursion is soooooo worth it. The big ship can only get so far up the TA fjord. The catamaran goes way up the fjord very close to the two Sawyer glaciers. Plus you see seals floating on ice floes up close (instead of from 14 floors above). The boat had a marvelous naturalist aboard and is carpeted - it's very nice. Do this excursion!

I would also like to hear what the dress code was on this cruise.

There is a sign outside the MDR that says "Smart Casual" and defines that per the standard line from the cruise line.

I don't remember seeing egregious and horrible violations, either on formal night or at any other time. I did see some blue jeans during the week.

Formal night seemed very nice though I didn't see as many tuxes as I thought I might. I was in a tux so I was aware of the few others that I saw. Saw a lot of suits and ties. Both formal nights seemed quite nice to me. The MDR was bustling with folks dressed very nicely - and nicer than on the "regular" nights.

My 22 year old daughter is way more tuned into fashion than I am ... I'll ask her what she saw and thought.

Oh yes - a quick note: this is not an opportunity to debate the merits of how to dress for MDR. That's a very divisive issue. Let's leave that alone and let this thread be for questions about the AK cruise I just got home from on the Solstice. Thanks.

I am sorry I missed your question. I think it's been answered - and yes, it's impossible to find.

But the excursion is soooooo worth it. The big ship can only get so far up the TA fjord. The catamaran goes way up the fjord very close to the two Sawyer glaciers. Plus you see seals floating on ice floes up close (instead of from 14 floors above). The boat had a marvelous naturalist aboard and is carpeted - it's very nice. Do this excursion!

Was the catamaran naturalist the same as the Solstice naturalist Brent Nixon, or someone different?

If you cant find JU94 listed for your cruise, it may because it is sold out. Ours was sold out 3 months prior to sail date. I believe it is popular and has limited seating, so sells out.

Thanks, I finally found it and was able to book it. They sure didn't make it easy to find.

Was the catamaran naturalist the same as the Solstice naturalist Brent Nixon, or someone different?

It was someone different. Her name was Diane and she was very good. I think the boat was with Allen Marine or some company like that - I guess Celebrity contracts with them because it was done through Celebrity.

Brent was on our boat and he's very good. He spoke several times (usually on sea days) and I went to a couple of his presentations. He knows his stuff!

I was on Solstice earlier in June. Temp onboard fine, not too cold in MDR. I always take a wrap, just in case. Many were using the solarium and yes, it is kid free. In Ketchikan I downloaded a walking tour of main downtown area, Creek St., married man's trail, waterfalls, salmon ladder, etc. The salmon were not in creek, too early in the season. Aug. is the time for that, I understand. All highly walkable from ship. Wonderful stone sculpture shops using local marble and granite.

Don't know about luggage to airport plans. We tipped a large downtown hotel valet to store our luggage for the day we disembarked.

How about temperature on board? Do people use solarium pool and is it kids free area ? What did you do in Ketchikan? Do they offer luggage delivery from ship to the airport? You are so helpful!

Temp on the boat was good. I'm cold most all the time - we take sweaters and coats to the movies with regularity and I was okay on the boat. Of course I'm wearing long sleeves most of the time too because it is cool in AK. And I wore a jacket to the MDR most nights too. So some of this depends on how you are. If you're a "hot" person you might find the boat not cool enough. If you're more like me you'll probably find it's okay, but you want a sweater or wrap handy sometimes.

I didn't see a lot of people in any of the pools. But the Solarium does seem to be kid free. Kids can walk through it on the way from point A to point B (it's not like they have a guard at the door). I know this because my niece walked through with me a couple of times. But I didn't see kids camped there. And it was very calm and relaxing in there. They are playing jazzy/new age kind of music there and it seemed very chill to me.

We ziplined in Ketchikan. Can't recommend that highly enough. Bear Creek rocks. I'm terrified of heights and still loved it. Didn't see any bears (boo bears - I can't believe nature can't show up on time! HA!) but being in the canopy of the forest is incredible. That was a pricey excursion but it's really a lifetime memory. After ziplining we just walked the town a little, poked our noses in the many touristy shops and then it was time to go to the boat. Ketchikan was a very good day, even though it poured rain the whole time. You'd better be ready for that. It rains a 160 inches a year in Ketchikan!

We didn't do luggage delivery from airport because we flew in the night before so we couldn't direct transfer. Certainly wish we could. I hate schlepping heavy bags (six of them for us) around an airport. We did the valet service at the end of the cruise and that was excellent. Set your bags out in the hall the night before the cruise ends and the next time you see them is on a luggage carousel in your home airport. Yay!

To get to the airport we had the hotel call us a car. A guy came in a Lincoln Town Car and took us right to the pier for $55 (three of us and our luggage). However, my bro in law intro'd me to UBER and now I'm sure I should've done that. Uber is an app on your phone - you tap it and they come get you. On the return trip my daughter remained in Seattle with some family so it was just me and the wife. We went from downtown Seattle to the airport for $25 with Uber. Not kidding! Look it up and download the app. Uber rocks.

Glad to help out. Keep your questions coming - many helped me so I'm glad to pay it forward.

Edited by BuckeyeMark

How about temperature on board? Do people use solarium pool and is it kids free area ? What did you do in Ketchikan? Do they offer luggage delivery from ship to the airport? You are so helpful!

The default for the Solarium is no kids however Celebrity has it on their web site that they reserve the right to allow kids to use it during inclement weather.

There is a sign outside the MDR that says "Smart Casual" and defines that per the standard line from the cruise line.

I don't remember seeing egregious and horrible violations, either on formal night or at any other time. I did see some blue jeans during the week.

Formal night seemed very nice though I didn't see as many tuxes as I thought I might. I was in a tux so I was aware of the few others that I saw. Saw a lot of suits and ties. Both formal nights seemed quite nice to me. The MDR was bustling with folks dressed very nicely - and nicer than on the "regular" nights.

My 22 year old daughter is way more tuned into fashion than I am ... I'll ask her what she saw and thought.

Oh yes - a quick note: this is not an opportunity to debate the merits of how to dress for MDR. That's a very divisive issue. Let's leave that alone and let this thread be for questions about the AK cruise I just got home from on the Solstice. Thanks.

Thank you ... I would appreciate her perspective. I only hoped for your observations so as to know which clothing to select when packing for the two formal nights. I'm not looking to start a debate :)

On our cruise last year Brent stayed on the Solstice and narrated as they continued through Tracy and on the return.

I did hear that he was on the Whale Watching through the ship in Juneau. Saw pictures posted of him on that. Would have made a really nice excursion.

He was great to watch and listen to.

The default for the Solarium is no kids however Celebrity has it on their web site that they reserve the right to allow kids to use it during inclement weather.

According to the Solstice Today's posted by previous poster the Solarium was open for families (kids) from 4-5 daily. They had to be with an adult.

From 11-11 it is for adults (16+) and the whirlpools are 16+ only.

Last year it was so warm the outdoor pools were full.

On our cruise last year Brent stayed on the Solstice and narrated as they continued through Tracy and on the return.

I did hear that he was on the Whale Watching through the ship in Juneau. Saw pictures posted of him on that. Would have made a really nice excursion.

He was great to watch and listen to.

I took my group whale watching with Harv and Marv and we saw three humpbacks BUBBLE FEEDING. It was absolutely incredible. As our group of boats was watching that a big boat from one of the cruise ships came over - and Brent may have been on that boat. He said something in one of his later presentations about bubble net feeding so maybe he was there and saw it.

Don't do the cruise boat excursion and be on a boat with 150+ people. DO HARV AND MARV. You will NOT regret it. Soooooo much better.

I took my group whale watching with Harv and Marv and we saw three humpbacks BUBBLE FEEDING. It was absolutely incredible. As our group of boats was watching that a big boat from one of the cruise ships came over - and Brent may have been on that boat. He said something in one of his later presentations about bubble net feeding so maybe he was there and saw it.

Don't do the cruise boat excursion and be on a boat with 150+ people. DO HARV AND MARV. You will NOT regret it. Soooooo much better.

I 100% agree. We did Harv and Marv last year and loved the private boat for the five of us. No pictures of the back of people's heads like we experienced in Victoria on the Orca trip.

I was just sharing where Brent Nixon was while in Tracy and later in Juneau.

We're big fans of Harv and Marvs.