Post cruise Seattle, what to see.

peachycruiser

We would like to stay in Seattle a couple of days after our cruise before flying home. Would any of you have any suggestions of where to stay, to eat, what to see? The hotels are very expensive; does anyone know of any moderately priced hotels in good areas? Is the Space Needle area worth checking out? We also would like to ride out to Mt Rainier and I understand there are day tours. Input appreciated.

We stayed at the Silver Cloud Inn at Lake Union. Not sure what the cost is now to stay there. Includes a nice breakfast buffet. They have free transportation (we just tipped the guy) to the Space Needle, Pike's Market and the Underground City. Everyone there was delightful to work with and Lake Union is beautiful. The Queen Ann area is nearby (beautiful old Victorian homes). The Chittenden locks are nearby too. We loved having lunch on the Space Needle (food was great!). If you have lunch and spend $25 a head, you get to use the observation deck at no extra charge. Otherwise just to go up to the observation deck was $19. Pike's Market is fun. There is a huge ferris wheel on the waterfront, the Underground city, the Boeing Aircraft Museum. We took a ferry out to Blake Island and had a salmon dinner cooked over open alderwood fire. It was a wonderful buffet with venison stew too, yum. We really enjoyed that excursion (I purchased it online). There is so much to do in the Seattle area, I don't think you'll be disappointed staying a few extra days there.

you could also check out the hotels by the airport and ride the light rail system into downtown if you didnt have to stay in Seattle itself. Would take about 20 minutes or so to ride in but there are several stops and trains, but I would guess the hotel prices could be half the price. Its worth a look. and worth a look at transportion costs versus the cost of the downtown hotel pricing.

The Space Needle is pretty cool to go up. The EMP is at the base of the needle and is a fantastic music museum, there is also a science center on the grounds. besides that its not really that overly exciting of an area if you dont plan to go up the needle itself. Which I do recommend! great views! although its very "Seattle" around there so maybe if i had never been i might think its cooler ;)

Pike Place Market would be a must stop. You can see them throwing the fish around.

I rarely eat downtown, but we do like Ivars on the waterfront but I dont eat seafood and Im sure there are some othe great seafood places to eat.

Id go to Mt Rainier, its gorgeous. check into the tours for that. especially since it would be about 2-2.5 hours south of seattle, you'd see more of the area along the way and get a better feel for the state and not just downtown :)

This thread belongs on the West Coast Departures forum so don't be surprised it it gets moved. If you over the first few pages of that forum, you'll find similar posts, plus ideas on what to do.

Seattle is an expensive city. Hotels around the Seattle Center are cheaper than downtown, but you can easily be downtown in 5 minutes using the monorail. When you get off the monorail at Westlake Center you're only 2 blocks from the Market. And the Market is just above the waterfront ... ferris wheel, aquarium, restaurants, etc.

Airport hotels are much cheaper but then you need to commute into town for sightseeing. The Light Rail is $3pp and takes 40 minutes to get downtown.

http://www.visitseattle.org/Home.aspx

http://www.seattle.gov/visiting/default.htm

I got a good price for the Moore Hotel downtown for after our cruise. We plan on seeing the Market and waterfront and maybe the Needle if we have time,

J.