End of cruise winter options in Basel

Riversanddale

Just sharing some info for anyone else there late in the year.

We will have three nights in Basel on our own at the end of our cruise in late November. We've been looking at what we can do. So far (with help on Tripadvisor) we have found the boat and cog train from Luzerne to Rigi Mountain which has a cable car or train return. It runs year round - yeah! We had been looking at the combination up Mt. Pilatus but it stops running much earlier this year.

We've also found that there is a Christmas market in Luzerne when we'll be there: http://www.christkindlimarkt.ch/2013/home-en/?c=1

We've heard that meals are very expensive in Switzerland. We'd love to hear of affordable options (dinner/lunch) in Basel and Luzern. We'd love a fondue dinner and would like to try something else Swiss, too.

Food - especially coffee - does tend to be expensive in Switzerland! We stayed near the train station (really nice, not like ones in the US) and took advice from CC and found the cafes there nice for a fast breakfast and less expensive than the hotel - some on ground floor but also go up to the 2nd level. (Also coming from NYC we're accustomed to high food prices!)

As for fondue - I can highly recommend Elsbethenstubi on Elisabethenstrasse! Small restaurant but a fabulous experience - best fondue we've ever eaten plus a lively restaurant with mostly large tables, the mother and two teen-age sons from Israel were a joy - wish they had been there for the whole meal!!! It wasn't cheap and I can't remember how much it was but the 2 bottles of wine DH ordered contributed to the bill!! Whatever we paid it was well worth the experience!!!

Unfortunately their web site isn't much help - we e-mailed our hotel beforehand and they made the reservation for us.

Willkommen im Restaurant Elsbethenstübli

Trip Advisor:

Elsbethenstubli, Basel - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Enjoy!!!

Thanks, Peg. We'll check out those ideas. We're also looking for something close to the main market square for breakfast. We might be a bit far for the train station but I haven't figured the distance yet. Lots of fun exploring the options.

We're staying one night in Basel post-cruise in December - I imagine we'll just eat at the Christmas Market (assuming I'm not "marketed" out by that point:p) We're only staying overnight because we wanted a super early flight, so I'm not sure how much activity we're up for. We booked a hotel within walking distance of the University, Old Town, Cathedral & Market area so I imagine we'll just do a bit of wandering..... :D

There are 2 Christmas Markets in Basel - the Munsterplatz is by the Basel Cathedral - interesting Church and lovely view of the Rhine if you walk around the church to the overlook! We ate lunch near there in the MuseumBistro - had our first Flammkuchen there!!

The other market is Barfusserplatz in the heart of old town. We were there both day and evening when its magical!! We ate there the first night in a place called Weihnachtsstube - they had a take-away window but we ate inside - nicely decorated place with large tables to share! It was right in the CM so very convenient! It had a big reindeer with a Santa hat on the very top of the sign and a "doorman" dressed like a Dickens' character. (Doorman was there to stop people from taking their take-away food inside and also to control crowds - you had to wait outside for a table but we got one within minutes.)

Enjoy!!!!

Thanks, Peg. The Christmas markets in Basel open on the 27th this year. One is supposed to be the largest in Switzerland so we'll be sorry to miss them by a few days but I'm sure they will be magical. We'll try for Lucerne but it will have to be a daytime visit. Less magic and not as big but better than nothing. Thanks again.

If you're in Basel just a few days before the CMS open I'd still check out the area - especially Barfusserplatz. It takes weeks to fully set up all the displays so, to me, it would be interesting to see and maybe something will be open! Also at Barfusserplatz there was a "house" for a big Christmas store - Kathy Wolf... - can't remember the exact spelling buy they have places in many markets and they are more like temporary stores than just open stalls. (We ran into their main store in Rothenberg some years ago and it was just amazing!) SO if you have time I'd check it out!!

There's also a Christmas store in Basel - we never got there - just not enough time - but I'll look ok my lap top and see if I have the link.

Thanks for the tips, Peg. We'll certainly check them out and report what we find open. The Christmas Shop looks magical and they have a location serving tea, coffee and food. We can't wait and we'll have our maps in hand all premarked so we don't miss them!