Black Card members - how realistic is it to get an upgrade? What is the best process?

bigalex72

Dear Black Card members, being a new addition to the circle, I am wondering how realistic is it to get an upgrade? What would you say is a probability - 40%, 80%, etc?

Any tips you can share? Anyone got upgraded to the suite? Can you influence the upgrade before the cruise?

Thank you in advance!

In my experience, 0%. I've never had one and I've been a Black Card Member since 2011.

That said, I usually book to category cabins on Lirica class and high grade balcony on the others.

I'm not willing to book an inside in the nope of being upgraded and end up with a cabin I don't really want.

MSCLover from Brazil has a good track record in getting upgraded. Ink she gets her T to ask for it.

thank you, AmoMondo!

This is discouraging, given your record... So, every time they were telling you that the ship is full, I assume.

I see you sailed a lot on the Lirica class ships. Did you find them comparable with the Fantasia-class? I was quite reluctant to sail on them, as they seem small and a bit outdated. Hope this will change with the renaissance program upgrade.

thank you, AmoMondo!

This is discouraging, given your record... So, every time they were telling you that the ship is full, I assume.

I see you sailed a lot on the Lirica class ships. Did you find them comparable with the Fantasia-class? I was quite reluctant to sail on them, as they seem small and a bit outdated. Hope this will change with the renaissance program upgrade.

From the opposite perspective, only once have I not booked an inside guarantee cabin and only one of those times was I not upgraded - with or without cruise line 'status'.

The problem arises because people choose specific cabins for many reasons - nearness to something or someone also on board, location to avoid motion, to be away from elevators or not under an area of noise when they may want to sleep, etc, etc, etc. The cruise line knows this and they interfere with cabin choice at their peril.

As I understand it, the Black Card cabin upgrade feature is still within cabin type. So, upon request, if there is a cabin available, you may have an identical cabin on a higher deck but in a position that nobody else wanted.

To maximise chances of upgrade you have to book on a guarantee basis and the lower you aim the higher your chances of an upgrade are. The golden rule, as Amo points out, is that you have to be happy with the category booked in potentially the worst part of the ship. Otherwise pay extra for certainty.

I find that Allegrissimo goes well in conjunction with a low-category cabin booking. After a day on Allegrissimo, which is not available in your cabin anyway, you don't care where you sleep.

Finally, think of all those dramas set on a cruise liner. Whenever anyone is murdered, robbed or goes missing, they are never staying in a humble inside or outside cabin - it is always one of the top suites aboard. You wouldn't want anything untoward happening on your cruise would you?

We got an upgrade on the Opera last year but wish we had stayed with our original booking the reason is documented in the ships review, we were also lucky to get an upgrade with Costa on our first cruise with them on the Deliziosa and were given a rather large outside cabin which was great.

thank you, AmoMondo!

I prefer the Musica class to all MSC ship types. It is perfect for my tastes, not too big and not too small. Really just the Lirica class with a few more bells and whistles.

I've sailed on Lirica class the most because when I first started cruising with MSC that was the newest and biggest in the fleet and more lately they tend to have more unusual itineraries. Sometimes the newer ships just do repeats of voyages I've done on the smaller ships in the past. The Lirica class are certainly not outdated and they really are not that old. Opera was new when I first sailed on her and they keep their ships well maintained.

I didn't really like my one experience of the Fantasia class. Yes the ship was gorgeous with loads of facilities but it was just too big and impersonal for me. Hardly ever saw the same passenger or crew member twice. Didn't find the service very good either compared to the smaller ships. I discussed this once at length with a Hotel Manager on the little old melody and he had experience of different sized ships. He said on the smaller ships, the crew all know each other and know that if they don't do something, someone else they know will have to do it instead. On the Fantasia class there are so many that it is impossible for them to know everyone and there is less of a team mentality and it's easier for those not wanting to take responsibility to hide.

I'm not saying I would not consider a Fantasia class ship again, if the itinerary appealed. At the moment it's a moot point as they won't accept bookings from solos on this class in 2015.

Dear Black Card members, being a new addition to the circle, I am wondering how realistic is it to get an upgrade? What would you say is a probability - 40%, 80%, etc?

Any tips you can share? Anyone got upgraded to the suite? Can you influence the upgrade before the cruise?

Thank you in advance!

There are very few suites on MSC ships other than Yacht club on Fantasia Class., and of course a few aurea suites.

Lirica Classs has bigger balcony cabins, called balcony suites, mostly on deck 12 though they now call some deck 10 cabins balcony suites as well.

Musica class have a similar arrangement of a small number of Suites on deck 15 except Magnifica which has more of the former yacht club cabins now called suites.

Splendida and Fantasia have 8 large , former grade 12 cabins which i loved, now called suites on the aft hump,

Of course all this will change in November when the new experiences come on stream and there will be suites classed as" Aurea" experience, mostly the former Aurea suites now called S3 (and now in including the 8 mentioned above) and the "Yacht club" experience.

So the chances of upgrade to a suite is small as thee are so few, and (and it's a big AND) MSC tend to block allocate certain grades of cabin to certain rgions amd it appears as they are all booked. Unless of course you can access a booking system in anothr egion. Although when I tried that last week i got the message that i was out of area and please try your own regional office.

Lastly I recall someone recently mentoning they had been upgraded to the Yacht club, so it isn't entirely impossible.

I wish you luck.

The only time I got an upgrade???? was to a similar cabin on the same deck. I was not best pleased as I had specificaly chosen a specific cabin in an area of the ship I wanted to be on, and i didn't consider it an upgrade at all, rather an inconvenient move or even downgrading me.

I now state I don't want an upgrade, which given my usual choice now would be very difficult,

What I'm going to do in nov I don't know as I don't want an "Aurea" experience, and IMHO the "Cheers" package in the "fantastica" experience is total rubbish, "Bella" experience doesn't apply to the cabins I tend to have. so that leaves Yacht Club and the choice of 4 ships thus limiting the itineraries i can choose. Reducing my choice drastically, and the probability of going on another line much increased.

Giles Hawk has really screwed up on this!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you could upgrade the Cheers to the Allgrissimo for the "DIFFERENCE" in price then all would be OK , but apparently you can't, or so I read yesterday you have to pay full whack!!!!!!!

Pete

(A very disgruntled, much less of an MSC fan, and black card holder)

Edited by Skier52

Pete, I wasn't aware the "Cheers" package was included in the "Fantastica" rate, although I agree that it would be great if you could just pay the difference when "Cheers" is part of an offer. Limiting drinks to the dining rooms doesn't work for me.

If MSC are going to include packages as an incentive (at the moment in Ireland there are some fantastic deals on offer from TAs but they only incude "Cheers" - no use if you're going to have "Allegrissimo" anyway). I wish they'd give options similar to Celebrity's 123Go.

Edited by Beamafar

Pete, I wasn't aware the "Cheers" package was included in the "Fantastica" rate, although I agree that it would be great if you could just pay the difference when "Cheers" is part of an offer. Limiting drinks to the dining rooms doesn't work for me.

If MSC are going to include packages as an incentive (at the moment in Ireland there are some fantastic deals on offer from TAs but they only incude "Cheers" - no use if you're going to have "Allegrissimo" anyway). I wish they'd give options similar to Celebrity's 123Go.

You're absolutely corrrect, my misake, the "cheers " package is on the "Aurea" so the whole thing is even worse than i'd thought it was.

I probably got it wrong bcause i'm Sooooooooooo pee'ed off about how limiting the choices now are in the higher grades of accomodation!!!

Who wants to go to the spa when there are so many bars to go to; Oooooops!! only if you upgrade your "cheers" package to Allegrissimo at FULL PRICE

Pee'ed off Pete

You're absolutely corrrect, my misake, the "cheers " package is on the "Aurea" so the whole thing is even worse than i'd thought it was.

I probably got it wrong bcause i'm Sooooooooooo pee'ed off about how limiting the choices now are in the higher grades of accomodation!!!

Who wants to go to the spa when there are so many bars to go to; Oooooops!! only if you upgrade your "cheers" package to Allegrissimo at FULL PRICE

Pee'ed off Pete

Speaking of the "Aurea" - couldn't agree more re the spa being included - for what MSC's charging I'd expect Premium Allegrissimo AND a dedicated restaurant (in YC When on Fantasia class) included!

Lirica Classs has bigger balcony cabins, called balcony suites, mostly on deck 12 though they now call some deck 10 cabins balcony suites as well.

The 'balcony suites' on deck 10 of the two eldest Lirica class, The Armonia and Sinfonia, are identical to those on deck 12. These ships have no 'balcony cabins' (i.e. which are not 'suites') whatsoever. MSC's first new builds, The Lirica and Opera, introduced much smaller balcony cabins on deck 10 with a row of insides either side of the ship too. Hence the prices of the suites on the Armonia and Sinfonia can be lower than on any other MSC ship, given the absence of any ordinary balcony cabins that most people want these days.

Musica class have a similar arrangement of a small number of Suites on deck 15 except Magnifica which has more of the former yacht club cabins now called suites.

Did there used to be Yacht Club on Magnifica?

Splendida and Fantasia have 8 large , former grade 12 cabins which i loved, now called suites on the aft hump,

Of course all this will change in November when the new experiences come on stream and there will be suites classed as" Aurea" experience, mostly the former Aurea suites now called S3 (and now in including the 8 mentioned above) and the "Yacht club" experience.

So the chances of upgrade to a suite is small as thee are so few, and (and it's a big AND) MSC tend to block allocate certain grades of cabin to certain rgions amd it appears as they are all booked. Unless of course you can access a booking system in anothr egion. Although when I tried that last week i got the message that i was out of area and please try your own regional office.

You know this can be done with a proxy server to give you an IP address of the country you would like to appear to be in. People swear by 'Tunnel Bear' but I haven't got it to work on my Mac. Otherwise just google 'proxy server'. The free ones tend be slow.

The only time I got an upgrade???? was to a similar cabin on the same deck. I was not best pleased as I had specificaly chosen a specific cabin in an area of the ship I wanted to be on, and i didn't consider it an upgrade at all, rather an inconvenient move or even downgrading me.

Yes, I had once booked my preferred window seat on an emergency exit row (I am 6'4") on a BA flight but was similarly 'upgraded' to be jammed into middle seat with standard legroom in business so that a family could sit together. I was furious but at least I got the cost of my flight back in Airmiles after complaining.

They never know for what reasons people choose their seat/cabin and should never mess with them without first obtaining consent.

I now state I don't want an upgrade, which given my usual choice now would be very difficult,

What I'm going to do in nov I don't know as I don't want an "Aurea" experience, and IMHO the "Cheers" package in the "fantastica" experience is total rubbish, "Bella" experience doesn't apply to the cabins I tend to have. so that leaves Yacht Club and the choice of 4 ships thus limiting the itineraries i can choose. Reducing my choice drastically, and the probability of going on another line much increased.

Giles Hawk has really screwed up on this!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you could upgrade the Cheers to the Allgrissimo for the "DIFFERENCE" in price then all would be OK , but apparently you can't, or so I read yesterday you have to pay full whack!!!!!!!

Pete

(A very disgruntled, much less of an MSC fan, and black card holder)

It appears Giles Hawke is not pleasing any of us. I am annoyed that

1) the costs of the cheapest cabins for sole occupancy have soared FIVE TIMES PLUS,

2) most MSC itineraries now won't even accept a sole occupancy booking at any price

3) the 'Bella' experience that comes with the cheapest cabins is worse that the old bog-standard (no room service breakfast, no choice of dining time etc.)

4) for this worse experience, the daily hotel charge has quietly been increased by over 40% (from €6 to €8.5)

5) there is now a focus on 'promotions' including things I don't want, e.g. flights (I want to choose my airline, flight times, seat etc.), the useless Cheers package etc. instead of offering the best prices and letting people choose their own extras.

The 'experiences' appear to be ignorant, overly-blunt characterisations of their 'typical' customers which would best be left for internal purposes only. One size never suits all and nor do four. The trend in travel is 'bespoke' not package. It is like going back to the seventies.

MSC - the patronising, non-competitive, restrictive, solo-unfriendly cruise line. Only a year ago, things were not like this.

Also very disgruntled, a gold card member and unlikely on MSC's present form ever to reach black.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Interesting, I don't think they even have all these packages, and solo options for the US market. Main great option, which attracted us to the MSC is that "kids sail free". That makes significant difference for us with 2 kids... Nevertheless, other companies are catching up with that offer. Upgrade was a significant incentive for us to stay with MSC, but I don't want to be stuck in a small room for 4 of us, based on all the feedback...

It is very true about various cabin availability, based on the country. I was trying to book Fantasia for the next year, and same 4 cabins were available for 10 different cruises/cycles... The agent kept saying that all the other ones are booked...right...

I will go on a trip with the Armonia to the canary next winter. Because we like ta have a balcony we choose the Aurea suite. And to my surprise i notice that from 1st of May 2014 they had upgraded the cheers package to Allegrissimo. Which was nice. I like the benefits that are included.

From the MSC site:

Put well-being, pampering and peace of mind at the heart of your cruise. In addition to all the features of ‘Bella’ and ‘Fantastica’, our ‘Aurea’ fares offer a series of relaxing benefits for both body and mind. Priority boarding means you’ll soon be relaxing in an elegant cabin where you’ll find a set of free wellbeing products as well as a complimentary bathrobe and slippers. Dine at the time of your choice in a reserved area of the restaurant and enjoy 24-hour unlimited drinks*. Improve your tan as you bask on an exclusive – adults only - private sun deck. Best of all, take advantage of a fantastic spa package including a spa welcome cocktail, one massage of your choice from the spa menu, tanning shower, private medical consultation with spa Doctor and unrestricted use of the Thermal Area throughout your cruise. Set sail for pure relaxation.

And to my surprise i notice that from 1st of May 2014 they had upgraded the cheers package to Allegrissimo. Which was nice. I like the benefits that are included.

/QUOTE]

Well spotted! I'll have to have another look at the Aurea pricings as I had dismissed them when they were first announced.

And to my surprise i notice that from 1st of May 2014 they had upgraded the cheers package to Allegrissimo. Which was nice. I like the benefits that are included.

/QUOTE]

Well spotted! I'll have to have another look at the Aurea pricings as I had dismissed them when they were first announced.

This is confusing, by , looking at the virtual brochures , the MSC Product Book, the Pricing Structure brochure, the winter 2014/2015 and the 2015/16 brochure there are 3 which show the cheers package in Aurea experience and only 1 which shows the allegrissimo (the 2015/16 brochure) and it states this is from MAY 2015.

The 2015/16 info

aurea.jpg

The MSC product book

aurea2.jpg

The Pricing Structure

ayreanepricingstructure.jpg

The winter2014/15 brochure

aureawinter2014.jpg

I'd be pleased to have a link where it says the AUREA has the Allegrissimo from may 2014

Pete

Edited by Skier52

You know what, Pete, I'd misinterpreted that post to mean that, after announcing the new rates, that MSC had changed the Aurea benefits ON May 1st 2014. The new rates don't come into effect 'til Winter 2014. Ergo, it wouldn't be available before then, anyway.

Bytheway, thanks for posting the info.

Edited by Beamafar

I found it first on the Swedish MSC site. And because of much conflicting info I asked my TA. They had not updated their info on there site so I didn't know whats was right. The answer from my TA was: "Det er inkludert Allegrissimo (all inclusive) drikkepakke i Aurea Suitene fra 01.mai 2014." Norwegian so I translate: It is included Allegrissimo (all inclusive) drinks package Aurea suites from 01.May 2014.

It's hard to find some press releases but I link that I found.

http://crowsnestonline.co.uk/showthread.php?4505-MSC-Cruises-Upgrades-Aurea-Experience-Drinks-Package

http://timespentatsea.blogspot.se/2014/05/msc-cruises-adds-all-inclusive-drinks.html

http://cruisebusiness.com/index.php/More-News/msc-cruises-to-upgrade-aurea-experience-drinks-package.html

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/New-Experience-Categories.aspx

I found it first on the Swedish MSC site. And because of much conflicting info I asked my TA. They had not updated their info on there site so I didn't know whats was right. The answer from my TA was: "Det er inkludert Allegrissimo (all inclusive) drikkepakke i Aurea Suitene fra 01.mai 2014." Norwegian so I translate: It is included Allegrissimo (all inclusive) drinks package Aurea suites from 01.May 2014.

It's hard to find some press releases but I link that I found.

http://crowsnestonline.co.uk/showthread.php?4505-MSC-Cruises-Upgrades-Aurea-Experience-Drinks-Package

http://timespentatsea.blogspot.se/2014/05/msc-cruises-adds-all-inclusive-drinks.html

http://cruisebusiness.com/index.php/More-News/msc-cruises-to-upgrade-aurea-experience-drinks-package.html

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/New-Experience-Categories.aspx

Reading from the MSC link it states "Starting from Winter 2014-15".

I don't know about the info on the other sites but, as they read (almost) word for word, perhaps there was a misunderstanding which was then quoted verbatim?

Reading from the MSC link it states "Starting from Winter 2014-15".

To create a little more confusion, it says "Starting the winter season in 2013-14 ... different set of onboard 'Experiences' to enrich your Cruise." on the Swedish MSC site.

http://www.msccruises.se/se_se/Nya-Upplevelse-Kategorier.aspx

Edited by karar870

Pee'ed off Pete

Well maybe they have listened and changed their minds because Aurea is now showing as including Allegrissimo instead of Cheers.

As for who wants to go to the Spa? Moi! Although you just get one massage plus acces to the thermal area. They do have a spa bar on some of the ships so I guess I could combine Allegrissimo and Spa:)

I do not however want my time dining.

I understand you being pee'ed off though. I'm not a happy camper either about these new experiences. They are billed as something positive and giving choice but it is actually less choice than the current scheme where you can basically buy the extras you want. It is also an excuse to increase prices yet again. The Bella is meant to be the standard but costs more than current standard and has less. You basically have to book Fantastica to end up back to current inclusions.

They have been successful in the past few years in building up their customer base. They should be careful. This is a highly competitive market and some of the passengers they will have attracted will have defected from other companies. This can so easily happen to them if they get this wrong by taking us for granted and thinking they can reduce choice, drastically increase costs yet still carry on growing market share????

The 'balcony suites' on deck 10 of the two eldest Lirica class, The Armonia and Sinfonia, are identical to those on deck 12. These ships have no 'balcony cabins' (i.e. which are not 'suites') whatsoever. MSC's first new builds, The Lirica and Opera, introduced much smaller balcony cabins on deck 10 with a row of insides either side of the ship too. Hence the prices of the suites on the Armonia and Sinfonia can be lower than on any other MSC ship, given the absence of any ordinary balcony cabins that most people

Minor correction Tim, it was the Opera that was the first to have smaller balcony cabins on deck 10 and a small number of the suites at the front of deck 12. The Lirica was a new build for them and is almost identical to the Opera except that it has balcony suites on deck 10 not balcony cabins and has one less bar on deck 6. I believe post stretch the Lirica is getting some balcony cabins, perhaps sandwiched in between the current suites on deck 10.

Minor correction Tim, it was the Opera that was the first to have smaller balcony cabins on deck 10 and a small number of the suites at the front of deck 12. The Lirica was a new build for them and is almost identical to the Opera except that it has balcony suites on deck 10 not balcony cabins and has one less bar on deck 6. I believe post stretch the Lirica is getting some balcony cabins, perhaps sandwiched in between the current suites on deck 10.

Both Lirica (2003) and Opera (2004) were new builds for MSC with Lirica being almost identical to the other two apart from the look of the stern and Lirica had 3 more cabins 780 as opposed to 777 for the others.

Opera was a partial redesign, particullarly on deck 10 where the smaller. balcony cabins allowed them to add inside cabins on that deck. resulting in an additional 76 cabins giving a total of 856

Here's a nice little table from the 2009 brochure which shows how Opera differs significantly from the other three

IMG_0001.jpg

Pete