Black Card members - how realistic is it to get an upgrade? What is the best process?

bigalex72

Minor correction Tim, it was the Opera that was the first to have smaller balcony cabins on deck 10 and a small number of the suites at the front of deck 12. The Lirica was a new build for them and is almost identical to the Opera except that it has balcony suites on deck 10 not balcony cabins and has one less bar on deck 6. I believe post stretch the Lirica is getting some balcony cabins, perhaps sandwiched in between the current suites on deck 10.

Amo, I stand corrected, many thanks. The 'Lirica Class' is even less of a 'class' than I thought.

Pete, thanks for the 2009 brochure scan of the Magnifica. I wonder why MSC removed Yacht Club from her? I would have thought adding Yacht Club was the direction of travel.

Fiddling with the 'experiences' so soon after introducing them suggests to me that MSC are receiving negative feedback. They do add another layer of unnecessary complexity. If someone were thinking of booking MSC for the first time I am sure they would be baffled by all the strange names and poor explanations and hence more likely to book with another line than if the 'experiences' did not exist.

I also don't want 'free parking' included in my cruise fare! I know it won't apply after MSC pull out of Southampton soon but it is another irritating example of loading the cruise fare with unwanted extras. Besides, it would be far more ethical to contribute to the re-instatement of the Southampton Terminus train station.

Bespoke, not package, please.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Both Lirica (2003) and Opera (2004) were new builds for MSC with Lirica being almost identical to the other two apart from the look of the stern and Lirica had 3 more cabins 780 as opposed to 777 for the others.

Opera was a partial redesign, particullarly on deck 10 where the smaller. balcony cabins allowed them to add inside cabins on that deck. resulting in an additional 76 cabins giving a total of 856

Here's a nice little table from the 2009 brochure which shows how Opera differs significantly from the other three

IMG_0001.jpg

Pete

Thanks Pete, so helpful as always.

BTW I admire your patience and courtesy on the Divina lecture thread in attempting to convince the unwilling to consider any one else views, expertise or education over their entrenched views. How he doesn't get that vertical angle impacts sunshine in cabins is beyond me.

By the way and for info, If you Right click on photos on CC and then click on "Inspect Element" a box comes up under the picture which tells you where the picture/s came from .... :D

By the way and for info, If you Right click on photos on CC and then click on "Inspect Element" a box comes up under the picture which tells you where the picture/s came from .... :D

Sidari, I think that places you as a Windows person. Mac and iOS people don't have buttons :). OK, we may have the equivalent of a click but there is no left or right.

Has this become the thread where we can discuss all the other topics?

I noticed that my 'Giles Hawke in a Brown Suit' thread was deleted. I didn't even score a point or receive an admin message.

Thanks Pete, so helpful as always.

BTW I admire your patience and courtesy on the Divina lecture thread in attempting to convince the unwilling to consider any one else views, expertise or education over their entrenched views. How he doesn't get that vertical angle impacts sunshine in cabins is beyond me.

Thank you for those sentiments they are much appreciated.

I'm expecting some come back from my latest post where i've answered a question directly asked of him. He might be upset about it.

Pete

I've been a Black card member for a couple years but never been upgraded nor would I desire an upgrade. When I'm looking for a future cruise the itinerary is foremost in my planning but the selection of the cabin is a close second. When MSC confirms the cabin I select, I don't want any changes. Mid ship, high deck, no lido deck above me, no hang-down beds, no communicating door to the next cabin, etc., and of course a lovely balcony. If they want to give me some spa perks, those I'll accept in a flash.

I found it first on the Swedish MSC site. And because of much conflicting info I asked my TA. They had not updated their info on there site so I didn't know whats was right. The answer from my TA was: "Det er inkludert Allegrissimo (all inclusive) drikkepakke i Aurea Suitene fra 01.mai 2014." Norwegian so I translate: It is included Allegrissimo (all inclusive) drinks package Aurea suites from 01.May 2014.

It's hard to find some press releases but I link that I found.

http://crowsnestonline.co.uk/showthread.php?4505-MSC-Cruises-Upgrades-Aurea-Experience-Drinks-Package

http://timespentatsea.blogspot.se/2014/05/msc-cruises-adds-all-inclusive-drinks.html

http://cruisebusiness.com/index.php/More-News/msc-cruises-to-upgrade-aurea-experience-drinks-package.html

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/New-Experience-Categories.aspx

I had booked an Aurea package for a transatlantic for a little more than US 6000 for two people. At the moment it included only cheers package. Since a bingo offer came for a limited period of time for the same TA, I have canceled that reservation and booked under the bingo offer. I had to pay penalties for cancelling, it does not include any package, it is only balcony bella but it is about 60% less than the price in aurea category. I guess this give us plenty of savings to drink whatever we wish. :)

Ivi