Persian Garden on Century

Faircliff

Heading out from Vancouver on Century to Alaska on August 3 and am wondering if anyone knows the current daily rate and package full cruise rate (not Aqua Class) for the Persian Garden?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Heading out from Vancouver on Century to Alaska on August 3 and am wondering if anyone knows the current daily rate and package full cruise rate (not Aqua Class) for the Persian Garden?

Sorry, can't help you with the rate for Century's Persian Gardens, but it is very nicely located Persian Garden (unlike the Millie-Class ships PG's). There is no Aqua Class on Century, so the only folks using the Gardens should be: a) folks who've purchased day or week-long passes, and b) Captain's Club Elite (and above) who get a free port-day pass.

Don't know how Canyon Ranch is running things, but Steiner automatically added a 15% "gratuity" to any Persian Garden pass sales. Basically, it was a "service charge" where no services were involved!

Back in Jan. for a 14 day Panama sail it was $7 a day plus 15%. They limit the sails to 50 people---- 50 people did not sign up. It was never busy so we really enjoyed it and never had to wait...

Stew in Va

• 1 month later...

Well, we did it Aug 3-10, 2014 on Century to Alaska. It was $99 for the week plus 15% gratuity (US $ of course). It was great although we didn't get there every day given our dining time and it's closing time. Most of the time there wasn't an issue getting a bench, but my biggest complaint was that it was never policed. There were people who had obviously settled in there for the day and at one point there must have been six people waiting to get on to the benches and no one who had been there when I arrived was even thinking of moving. Of course, if there are others waiting, I always leave at the recommended 20 minutes to make room for others, but some people never even consider this! Perhaps the sign isn't big enough. We also found that for part of the trip, one of the benches was actually cold. We mentioned this to the staff but I never did find out if it was followed up on. And, given all the safety precautions with hand sanitizer, we also wondered if those benches are ever wiped down.

Faircliff -- Someone may have just turned the heat off on that lounger. Don't know whether you noticed or not, but each lounger has accessible heat controls, down toward the pedestal base. On our last cruise, one of them felt like I had just sat down on a griddle, it was so hot. :eek: Someone had cranked the heat all the way up, on it! I adjusted the temp to a lower setting, but I still had to put a layer of 2-3 towels down, before I could get comfortable.

And, as to wiping the loungers down periodically -- I sure hope so. I've always wondered just WHAT that 15% gratuity went for. You certainly don't get any services in the Persian Garden -- so, keeping the area clean and restocked is the very least the spa staff can do! :rolleyes:

Faircliff -- Someone may have just turned the heat off on that lounger. Don't know whether you noticed or not, but each lounger has accessible heat controls, down toward the pedestal base. On our last cruise, one of them felt like I had just sat down on a griddle, it was so hot. :eek: Someone had cranked the heat all the way up, on it! I adjusted the temp to a lower setting, but I still had to put a layer of 2-3 towels down, before I could get comfortable.

And, as to wiping the loungers down periodically -- I sure hope so. I've always wondered just WHAT that 15% gratuity went for. You certainly don't get any services in the Persian Garden -- so, keeping the area clean and restocked is the very least the spa staff can do! :rolleyes:

We did notice the heat controls but it was cranked way up and still no heat. Some of the loungers were VERY hot - almost too hot, but others were obviously overworked. Amazing when you think pretty much everything on cruise ships is used dozens - or hundreds of times a day - 365 days a year! No wonder they occasionally act up.

Well, we did it Aug 3-10, 2014 on Century to Alaska. It was $99 for the week plus 15% gratuity (US $ of course). It was great although we didn't get there every day given our dining time and it's closing time. Most of the time there wasn't an issue getting a bench, but my biggest complaint was that it was never policed. There were people who had obviously settled in there for the day and at one point there must have been six people waiting to get on to the benches and no one who had been there when I arrived was even thinking of moving. Of course, if there are others waiting, I always leave at the recommended 20 minutes to make room for others, but some people never even consider this! Perhaps the sign isn't big enough. We also found that for part of the trip, one of the benches was actually cold. We mentioned this to the staff but I never did find out if it was followed up on. And, given all the safety precautions with hand sanitizer, we also wondered if those benches are ever wiped down.

Glad to hear that I am not the only who gets bothered by people not following the rules. This same bad behavior extends to the fitness center where people stay on cardio equipment way too long during peak time when all the machines are in use.