Carnival Paradise & Tampa Itinerary Opinions?

Hi,

Please note, I cover 3 topics in this post. They are marked by dashes.

-I have just recently come off a 4 day to Cozumel and back on the Carnival Paradise. The ship was in great condition for it's age, only complaint is some of the lighting was down in some areas. Loved the dining, the pools, the entertainment, and the kids club for me ("Circle C"). But, the itinerary was the low point of the cruise. I've been to Cozumel 5 times, and it just kinda gets boring. One of the purposes of this post is to ask you, the CruiseCritic community, what type of new, shorter, 4,5,6 night itinerary options do you want out of Tampa? If I were to answer, I would pick Grand Cayman, Key West and Jamaica.

-The other topic is to ask what new things do you want to see on the Carnival Paradise? The ship is nice, but if you cruise it more than twice, it would kinda get old. So, what new additions to the Carnival Paradise would you enjoy?

-The last topic is as follows: what ship/itinerary would you want out of Tampa, if they build a new cruise terminal off of St. Pete?

Thanks in adv. ,

~FuturzMinion

That could be extremely plausible, but I still want to see an itinerary that goes to Jamaica and Key West.

Although there is definite history of shorter sailings (less than 7 days) doing a Key West run, it can present a challenge in the event weather becomes an issue for completing the planned itinerary. Once you hit KW, then the ship is required to also stop at a distant foreign port before returning. If KW is at the end of the itinerary (before home port) then the whole Immigration/Customs thing is brought into play.

Swapping Costa Maya for Cozumel every few weeks would be a good start.

Costa Maya is an nice port, but there isn't anything tourist-y for miles around after you leave the Shopping Area, because of a hurricane, I believe. It gives you a realistic feel of Mexico. The shopping center also has a pool. I remember one particular guy, from the shopping area. He was so 'beggy', he took my whole family into his shop, and gave us massages. It was awkward. I forget his store name, (typical Hispanic tourist jewelry tral) but if it is run by the same person, avoid it if you don't like getting 'fondled' by someone weird...

Also, be aware, Costa Maya is the name of the port area. Mahahual is the village outside of the port.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Edited by FuturzMinion

I too, LOVE sailing to Key West. Did that port aboard "Ecstasy" a couple of times out of Port Canaveral. (Sure beats driving that long, lonely road to Key West, from Miami!) ;)

I personally, really enjoy "Paradise", and have actually sailed her 4 times in the last year, and have her booked again at the end of July. Never get enough of the great entertainment, outstanding food, and service, and fantastic crew.

I can't think of anything in particular, that I'd add to the ship to make it any more enjoyable for me.

"SKY"

I too, LOVE sailing to Key West. Did that port aboard "Ecstasy" a couple of times out of Port Canaveral. (Sure beats driving that long, lonely road to Key West, from Miami!) ;)

I personally, really enjoy "Paradise", and have actually sailed her 4 times in the last year, and have her booked again at the end of July. Never get enough of the great entertainment, outstanding food, and service, and fantastic crew.

I can't think of anything in particular, that I'd add to the ship to make it any more enjoyable for me.

"SKY"

I definitely agree, "Paradise's" entertainment and food was better than any Carnival ships I've been on. One question about the "Paradise" though, how come on the superstructure where it says her name, they haven't changed it to "Carnival Paradise", like it says on the bow sides, aft, and funnel deck? Same with the "Elation".

I did hear Key West was nice.. What about Cancún? :P Could Cancún work as a Western Caribbean port?

Cancun does not have a port that can accept today's cruise ships, and I doubt there is any desire to build one. That's what Cozumel is for! You can visit Cancun from Cozumel if you have that desire, there is a ferry to the main land and you would just need transport from Playa Del Carmen to Cancun.

Although there is definite history of shorter sailings (less than 7 days) doing a Key West run, it can present a challenge in the event weather becomes an issue for completing the planned itinerary. Once you hit KW, then the ship is required to also stop at a distant foreign port before returning. If KW is at the end of the itinerary (before home port) then the whole Immigration/Customs thing is brought into play.

Swapping Costa Maya for Cozumel every few weeks would be a good start.

As long as it is a closed loop cruise it does not have to visit a "distant" foreign port after Key West, just any foreign port. The "distant" port requirement only comes into play on a non-closed loop cruise.

OP, I like your suggested itinerary, and could see Costa Maya swapped for Cozumel every couple of sailings. Key West is a great stop as well, and I wonder if it would be possible to do a cruise to Key West and Grand Turk?, or even HMC? They seem to always go westward, which I like, but as you say it can get tiresome going to same places all the time. Not sure why they cant get to Grand Turk with another port on sailings from your area.

Answers below in bold.

Hi,

Please note, I cover 3 topics in this post. They are marked by dashes.

-I have just recently come off a 4 day to Cozumel and back on the Carnival Paradise. The ship was in great condition for it's age, only complaint is some of the lighting was down in some areas. Loved the dining, the pools, the entertainment, and the kids club for me ("Circle C"). But, the itinerary was the low point of the cruise. I've been to Cozumel 5 times, and it just kinda gets boring. One of the purposes of this post is to ask you, the CruiseCritic community, what type of new, shorter, 4,5,6 night itinerary options do you want out of Tampa? If I were to answer, I would pick Grand Cayman, Key West and Jamaica. I love Cozumel. I sail on the Paradise for Cozumel. Mr. Sanchos once or twice a year is just not enough for me! It is our favorite place in the entire world.

-The other topic is to ask what new things do you want to see on the Carnival Paradise? The ship is nice, but if you cruise it more than twice, it would kinda get old. So, what new additions to the Carnival Paradise would you enjoy? I cannot wait for the 2.0 upgrades. Specifically Guys Burgers and the Blue Iguana.

-The last topic is as follows: what ship/itinerary would you want out of Tampa, if they build a new cruise terminal off of St. Pete? Are they thinking of this? I would want to go to Cozumel and Half Moon Cay. :-)

Thanks in adv. ,

~FuturzMinion

OP, I like your suggested itinerary, and could see Costa Maya swapped for Cozumel every couple of sailings. Key West is a great stop as well, and I wonder if it would be possible to do a cruise to Key West and Grand Turk?, or even HMC? They seem to always go westward, which I like, but as you say it can get tiresome going to same places all the time. Not sure why they cant get to Grand Turk with another port on sailings from your area.

That was in my distant dreams, for a 5 day on the Paradise to KW and Grand Turk.. Sadly Carnival Won't do it.