QM2 Halifax-Boston Log (July 1-5)

BlueRiband

@Salacia: sound advice, thanks. At time of writing the winds are calm but the skies are very ominous. Did not see QM2 pass this morning but I might have been swimming.

@T-A Tom: I'm so pleased you like it here. I spent a summer in Tacoma and I find some similarities between Halifax and Seattle. Seattle is more modern and larger but I was young when I was out there and what I remember most is how welcoming and friendly the people were. That, and the climate, made me feel as if I hadn't left home. It just felt like such a happy, warm city--got in there a lot and loved it.

The QM2 webcam page is stating "Queen Mary 2 is currently docked in Boston, Massachusetts" Looks like the ship is in heavy fog, so I can't see the port. Either the webpage is in error, or the schedule was changed. -S

Edited to add: I also noticed that the port stop in Halifax is not showing on the itinerary on that webpage as it was a couple of days ago. http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

Edited by Salacia

The QM2 webcam page is stating "Queen Mary 2 is currently docked in Boston, Massachusetts" Looks like the ship is in heavy fog, so I can't see the port. Either the webpage is in error, or the schedule was changed. -S
Meanwhile, a few minutes ago the sea scanner site reported that QM2 has travelled 141.27nm after leaving Halifax 4 hours 13 minutes ago and will cover the remaining 233.03 miles to Boston in 6 hours 47 minutes. That's 374.3 nm in 11 hours, a speed of 34 kt! It's easier to believe she's still in Halifax.

And the plot thickens. The Maasdam was in Halifax today, and sailed up and down the Harbour whilst leaving at 5pm. If QM2 was here and left, I didn't see it come up the harbour.

Rather unpleasant day today at harbour's edge. Dark, humid, and aside from a sprinkling this morning the rain just sat in the clouds leaving everyone uncomfortable. Although I suppose, for guests, a day on QM2 is better than a day at the office!

On the QM 2 right now, we were in Halifax today left around 5:30 or so. Update from the Captain before we left is we will be in Boston around 11 am tomorrow, but we are leaving earlier than planned for NY. Original scheduled for 1 am now leaving Boston at 9:30pm. We are going through ALOT of fog right now, the foghorn is sounding. Pretty rough seas right now, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Re-post from this morning's attempt:

Thursday at Halifax

Warm, foggy

The ship had already docked at 7:15. It’s a day that looks more likely to need an umbrella rather than sunglasses. The HAL Maasdam is also in port.

I choose a tour to Lunenburg, and we have two buses from the ship. We were fortunate that the fog lifted and the sun emerged. It’s a town with Victorian charm and still a working fishing port. A very nice tour, but nothing that would merit a special visit as a destination itself. Along the way we had a scenic photo stop and about an hour and fifteen minutes in town. It was then back on the bus for our lunch stop at Oak Island Atlantica. Some regretted that we couldn’t spend more time in town, but this was probably arranged because Lunenburg would not be able to serve that many lunches at once. Our lunch however is pretty good for a mass group. We dined on local haddock followed by fresh local strawberries and cream. The hotel has a wonderful veranda overlooking Mahone Bay, and allowed some nice “tourist shots” and “selfies” before boarding for the trip back. And on the trip back, the fog again began to roll in. So for our tour we were fortunate to have nice weather.

Captain Oprey gave an update regarding Boston. Yes, Boston had indeed moved up the concert and fireworks by 24 hours. We need to do 21 knots to reach Boston by Noon, with fog and choppy seas. We should expect to hear her fog horn during the evening. Tropical Storm Arthur is expected to pass us while we are in port at for that reason the all-aboard time will be 9:30. This will allow a large window of time for departure.

The Maasdam departed first. We followed and heavy fog is rolling in. It’s not yet enough to obscure one end of the ship from the other but by my estimate visibility is only about one mile.

@Salacia: sound advice, thanks. At time of writing the winds are calm but the skies are very ominous. Did not see QM2 pass this morning but I might have been swimming.

@T-A Tom: I'm so pleased you like it here. I spent a summer in Tacoma and I find some similarities between Halifax and Seattle. Seattle is more modern and larger but I was young when I was out there and what I remember most is how welcoming and friendly the people were. That, and the climate, made me feel as if I hadn't left home. It just felt like such a happy, warm city--got in there a lot and loved it.

Shawnino: Delighted to hear of your warm memories of your time in the Puget Sound area. Suffice it to say that both Halifax and Seattle are two great port cities residing on two great oceans !

Best wishes & regards.

Thursday night at sea

Heavy fog

The fog is so think that QM2’s bridge cannot be seen from the aft end. All of the outdoor surfaces are wet and the outdoor decks are closed. Rumor throughout the ship is that no decision has been made regarding schedule tours tomorrow. Some passengers are scheduled to disembark the ship in Boston.

Todd English is on board the ship, so this is a really great time for those with reservations. There is also a report the former Prime Minister John Major is also on board.

A sad situation came up at dinner. A couple at my table apparently had to disembark the ship due to the wife needing hospitalization. She appeared fine, but I learned she had was not eating anything since leaving Southampton. She was only pushing food around her plate.

The entertainment in the Royal Court Theatre was “Your Three Tenors” performing opera, Broadway, and film music. Musical accompaniment alternates between recorded and live music.

I finish the evening in Churchill’s for my annual cigar. It’s a full house and with me all four chairs are occupied. There are no matches but the attendant has a cutter and lighter. One passenger had met a 90+ Cunarder who has taken at least one round trip TA since 1946. The man credits his longevity to knocking back a good deal of Scotch every night. I’d have loved to meet that man – what fascinating stories and history. On the opposite end are three “red cards” all on their first every cruise.

As I write this Hurricane Arthur is now a Category 2 is off Cape Hatteras, NC with Boston under tropical storm warning. The warning cone shows it passing Boston at 8PM. Winds could affect our docking and sea conditions could keep pilot boats in port.

As I sign off the plans are still on for us to dock in Boston - there was even a joke: American Independence will be celebrated by the flag ship of the British Fleet bringing in a boatload of Americans into Boston Harbor. Festivities will include dumping cases of Coke into the harbor.;)

On the QM 2 right now, we were in Halifax today left around 5:30 or so. Update from the Captain before we left is we will be in Boston around 11 am tomorrow, but we are leaving earlier than planned for NY. Original scheduled for 1 am now leaving Boston at 9:30pm. We are going through ALOT of fog right now, the foghorn is sounding. Pretty rough seas right now, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The early departure means that you may miss the fireworks which aren't due to start until 10.30pm. Or maybe they have altered their plans.

Edited by capnpugwash

A report of the Boston Independence Day concert and fireworks that took place on the evening of July 3 can be found here http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/07/03/all-eyes-sky-for-tonight-boston-pops-concert/VAr8QFR3PFzzQWGF9qoXcI/story.html

NY experienced similar severe weather on the evening of 3 July, but fair weather is expected in NY later in the evening of the 4th, and for Boston as well. During the day of the 4th however, it looks like we're in a bit of a soaking.

Weather looking good for QM2's arrival in Red Hook.

Edited by Salacia

The Boston fireworks were rescheduled to Thursday night.

That would probably be a disappointment for those on board QM2 but not as big a disappointment as they were to me when I saw them a few years ago. I use the word saw in the loosest possible sense as we were a distance away and the fireworks were set off on the other side of a two or three storey building. This meant that it was only the rockets that were visible to us from the ship.

Friday morning, at sea

Cloud cover, fog lifting

The entire ship is soaked from the enveloping fog until early this morning. A I write this just after 8AM the fog has cleared to the point where one can see the horizon. Sailwx lists her overnight speed at 21.3 knots. As of this writing no announcement has been made but it’s before breakfast ship’s time.

Friday morning, at sea

Cloud cover, fog lifting

The entire ship is soaked from the enveloping fog until early this morning. A I write this just after 8AM the fog has cleared to the point where one can see the horizon. Sailwx lists her overnight speed at 21.3 knots. As of this writing no announcement has been made but it’s before breakfast ship’s time.

Thanks for updates :)

Friday, July 4th

Docked in Boston

The weather has brightened but there is a 100% cloud cover. As we approached the Falcon Street terminal there was some light rain. We go in bow first behind NCL Dawn. That's your ship if you like them looking like a McDonald's playland.

All of the promenade deck chairs have been stacked and secured to the superstructure. We are being secured at about 10:45. Earlier Captain Oprey announced that the all-aboard time is still 9:30 with sailing at 10. “We cannot hold beyond 10PM” and he didn’t want to leave anybody behind. We’ll head directly south after clearing Cape Cod and will feel the storm in the early hours of Saturday.

As of now we are awaiting clearance. Two years ago one couple managed to hold up the entire ship for hours because they would not report to US immigration inspection for “all non-US citizens”. At 11:20 it's announced that the gangways are not open until US authorities complete the immigration inspection.

I have a few words for those who feel the reporting of this voyage fails to meet their need for "real" information. May I suggest that you visit the Cunard roll calls and recruit fellow members who are willing to subordinate their vacation and internet time to CC voyage updates. I’m not getting compensated by Cunard or a travel agency.

Friday, July 4th

Docked in Boston

The weather has brightened but there is a 100% cloud cover. As we approached the Falcon Street terminal there was some light rain. We go in bow first behind NCL Dawn. That's your ship if you like them looking like a McDonald's playland.

All of the promenade deck chairs have been stacked and secured to the superstructure. We are being secured at about 10:45. Earlier Captain Oprey announced that the all-aboard time is still 9:30 with sailing at 10. “We cannot hold beyond 10PM” and he didn’t want to leave anybody behind. We’ll head directly south after clearing Cape Cod and will feel the storm in the early hours of Saturday.

As of now we are awaiting clearance. Two years ago one couple managed to hold up the entire ship for hours because they would not report to US immigration inspection for “all non-US citizens”. At 11:20 it's announced that the gangways are not open until US authorities complete the immigration inspection.

I have a few words for those who feel the reporting of this voyage fails to meet their need for "real" information. May I suggest that you visit the Cunard roll calls and recruit fellow members who are willing to subordinate their vacation and internet time to CC voyage updates. I’m not getting compensated by Cunard or a travel agency.

I know how time consuming it is to do one of these blogs and I think you're doing a sterling job. Thank you.

Friday, July 4th

Docked in Boston

... I have a few words for those who feel the reporting of this voyage fails to meet their need for "real" information. May I suggest that you visit the Cunard roll calls and recruit fellow members who are willing to subordinate their vacation and internet time to CC voyage updates. I’m not getting compensated by Cunard or a travel agency.

Ignore the impatient, BlueRiband; your reports are worth waiting for. Captain Oprey did a fine job of taking QM2 through the couple of memorable storms we experience aboard with him. Enjoy the return to NYC; hope you won't be sleeping through the most interesting of what Arthur has to offer.

I can't imagine why anyone would complain about your blog information. You are taking precious time on a short trip to do these informative postings. Hope all goes well as you cross paths with the remnants of hurricane Arthur. Flood watches up in NH and Maine because of heavy rain, and dangerous riptides and surf are expected through tomorrow, worse in easternmost Maine and the Maritimes.

You misunderstood - I was commenting on the amount of speculation by landlubbers on a "live blog" thread about the whereabouts of the ship when I knew that news would be coming in due time. :)

When I sail on QM2 I'm pretty much a faithful reporter here so I know about the effort to post timely and informative updates.

Edited by Underwatr

The early departure means that you may miss the fireworks which aren't due to start until 10.30pm. Or maybe they have altered their plans.

They are not missing much. The Dock in Boston where the QM2 is much too far to get a good view of the fireworks.