Orca Enterprises Question

staceycs

I just booked the Orca Enterprises combo whale/glacier tour. I would like more than an hour at the glacier. For those that have been on this tour, do I have them drop us off at the glacier before heading back into town from whale watching and then have them pick us up at the scheduled time? The timeline they gave me was meet at 2:30 leave by 3:00, back from whale watching at 6:00, arrive at glacier at 6:30, picked up from glacier at 7:30, 8:00 arrive back in town. Somewhere I read to have them drop you off at the glacier which gives you about 30 minutes extra at the glacier. I will really like some time to walk to nugget falls.

What time does your ship dock? I haven't been on the tour yet, but did talk with them about this. If you want more time at the glacier they can pick you up at the glacier, meaning you go out there before your whale watch. The other option given to me was they will give you a shuttle ticket to get back to town, but I think the shuttle stops running at 6pm. They also told me to keep in mind that no food is available at the glacier. Will be there on Sunday!

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just booked the Orca Enterprises combo whale/glacier tour. I would like more than an hour at the glacier. For those that have been on this tour, do I have them drop us off at the glacier before heading back into town from whale watching and then have them pick us up at the scheduled time? The timeline they gave me was meet at 2:30 leave by 3:00, back from whale watching at 6:00, arrive at glacier at 6:30, picked up from glacier at 7:30, 8:00 arrive back in town. Somewhere I read to have them drop you off at the glacier which gives you about 30 minutes extra at the glacier. I will really like some time to walk to nugget falls.

I don't understand this. They ARE dropping you off at the glacier. :confused:

You could tell them not to pick you up and that you will find your own way back to the ship, but the shuttles don't run that late so you would have to call a taxi.

Our ship docks at 2:00 and leaves at 10:00 pm. We will be there on a Tuesday. They can't tell me for sure which will be first glacier or whale watching but at this time it is set up for whale watching. I have read that they can drop you off at the glacier before heading back into town which saves about 30 minutes in travel time. I am hoping others will be on the boat with us that want to be dropped off after whale watching.

Our ship docks at 2:00 and leaves at 10:00 pm. We will be there on a Tuesday. They can't tell me for sure which will be first glacier or whale watching but at this time it is set up for whale watching. I have read that they can drop you off at the glacier before heading back into town which saves about 30 minutes in travel time. I am hoping others will be on the boat with us that want to be dropped off after whale watching.

I am pretty sure they ALWAYS do it this way. It would be silly to drive back to town and then back to the glacier.

You need to call Orca Enterprises and figure out what would work best for you. Problem is you have a late port time. IF the whale watch is 3:30pm, that would be the only one available for you. IF Mendenhall is a priority, then have them drop you off, then call a cab for your return. Expect about $30/35 with tip.

Were you given those times by Orca? It's only a 10/15min. transfer between their dock and Mendenhall. IF they are picking you up at 7:30p you may be able to walk the Nugget Falls trail? But have the cab numbers in case you are delayed.

When we went 2 years ago, we also had a 2pm docking. we went whale watching first and we found the time at the glacier very rushed.

This time, we dock at 9am and we will go to Mendenhall for the morning, then come back for some lunch and go on the whalewatch at 3pm.

When we finished our whale watch with Orca Enterprises, they had 2 vans waiting; one to take the people who wanted to go to Mendenhall Glacier and the other to take the people who wanted to go right back to town.

When we finished our whale watch with Orca Enterprises, they had 2 vans waiting; one to take the people who wanted to go to Mendenhall Glacier and the other to take the people who wanted to go right back to town.

Agree, went out with Orca on Sunday and it was awesome! As stated above they had 2 vans waiting, we were the only ones that went to Mendenhall. It was rushed and we didn't go to the waterfall, but we did see a bear!

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree, went out with Orca on Sunday and it was awesome! As stated above they had 2 vans waiting, we were the only ones that went to Mendenhall. It was rushed and we didn't go to the waterfall, but we did see a bear!

That is only if you make arrangements for their van to pick you up later to bring you back to town.

Otherwise, there is no need to be rushed at all.

We do not like to tie ourselves down to a predetermined pickup time because we never know in advance how much time we will want to spend at the glacier, walking the various trails, seeing the film and exhibits, browsing the gift shop and looking out through the telescope up at the visitor center, possibly watching a ranger presentation as well.

Instead we find it much better just to have your whale watching company drop you off at the glacier after whale watching and tell them you want to take the bus back to town, so that you can leave whenever you are ready without being rushed.

Or if you will be there late, after the buses stop running, you can call a taxi to pick you up, as previously mentioned.

Edited by fleckle

Thanks. Our ship departs at 10 p.m. so we could take cab back into town. Orca Enterprises said they will have us back at 8:00 p.m. I was also hoping for an hour or so for sightseeing in town. There is just not enough time to see and do all the things I want to do. I can already tell I will need to book another Alaskan cruise. I guess we will play it by ear. If the weather is good and we want to hike to nugget falls we will call a cab to take us back. If the weather is crappy we will ride back on the van.