Private Tour; No Deposit

Can anyone recommend a reputable tour company that I can arrange a private tour for 6 without making a deposit? I went to Bernards site and I need to leave $90. If they all operate that way I guess that's how it will have to be but I've never made a deposit before nor do I want to deal with anyone for a refund if the ship has issues and so on.

For those curious I want to go to Orient Beach, Dawn Beach and Marigot.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Can anyone recommend a reputable tour company that I can arrange a private tour for 6 without making a deposit? I went to Bernards site and I need to leave $90. If they all operate that way I guess that's how it will have to be but I've never made a deposit before nor do I want to deal with anyone for a refund if the ship has issues and so on.

For those curious I want to go to Orient Beach, Dawn Beach and Marigot.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

What is the cost for 6 for a private tour with Bernard? I would guesstimate $175 ish in taxi fares give or take and that would depend on your exact routing. The places you have chosen would be easily reached by taxi and you would be able to catch or call a cab from all of these places. If its significantly cheaper and you can't find a tour guide that does not want a deposit then don't worry about it and just take taxi's.

The tour is $360 for 1-5 pax then $40 for each thereafter totaling $400. Most times there will be an even number of guests so I'm annoyed with their original price structure. I went ahead and reserved it. I want the entire group together and not have to take two taxis if larger vans are not available. Hopefully he will give us a "tour" by pointing out some highlights and not just drop us off. This will be my 4th time on the island but the other 5 have never been. I just want it to be nice for them.

The tour is $360 for 1-5 pax then $40 for each thereafter totaling $400. Most times there will be an even number of guests so I'm annoyed with their original price structure. I went ahead and reserved it. I want the entire group together and not have to take two taxis if larger vans are not available. Hopefully he will give us a "tour" by pointing out some highlights and not just drop us off. This will be my 4th time on the island but the other 5 have never been. I just want it to be nice for them.

After reading excellent reviews here on cruise critic and tripadvisor, we have booked Bernards tours numerous times over the years. Some times we did the private tour if we had a group and other times we did tour 1 or tour 2 with others that we did not know.

You will be very pleased with their service and they will not just drop you off, you will get your money's worth. Some of the different tour guides we have had on our private tour were Mailman, David, DJ and John and each of them were very good. I have to say Mailman was the best!

They will tour the entire island both on the Dutch & French side and will make several photo stops a long the way. You tell them exactly where you would like to go and even stop for a while, you customize the tour. You can do a little research on the island before hand or read other posts in this forum to get some ideas on places to stop, beaches to visit and even a place to eat. You can also leave it up to them to decide where to take you for the day.

Some of our friends that took the private tours with us were so pleased with the tour of the island, they booked a land vacation to St.Martin upon their return home. Many of our friends have also returned back to this island several times now. DH prefers cruises over a land vacation.

You can also read the reviews on TripAdvisor about Bernards tour.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147346-d1840452-Reviews-Bernard_s_Tours-St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Enjoy your day in paradise!

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

The mini-van taxis would have been great for your group and you would have saved about $225. Ask your tour guide to take you up to Fort St Louis the views are fantastic from up there. From the closest parking lot you will only need to climb stairs for less than 5 minutes before you reach the top.

Thanks all for your replies. I hate spending money unnecessarily BUT I'll make the exception this time to have a smooth and fluid experience. I have two land vacations and one cruise day in the past. I have rented cars and driven around the island. It's good to know it will be more involved than just a drop off and that we'll get some history/sightseeing. My main focus is Orient beach, Dawn beach and shop in Marigot.

Thanks all for your replies. I hate spending money unnecessarily BUT I'll make the exception this time to have a smooth and fluid experience. I have two land vacations and one cruise day in the past. I have rented cars and driven around the island. It's good to know it will be more involved than just a drop off and that we'll get some history/sightseeing. My main focus is Orient beach, Dawn beach and shop in Marigot.

If your fellow traveller's are new to the island and you will have a private tour guide I can't figure out why Dawn Beach is one of your 3 main focuses for the day. Other than the view of St. Bart's I just can't think of why this beach instead of Anse Marcel, Grand Case, Friars with a walk to Happy Bay, Mullet, Maho, Simpson Bay, Le Galion and the list could go on. What is is about Dawn Beach that I am missing? Thanks :)

Dawn beach was just a beach I wanted to check out. I HATE mahi and watching planes. The idea of that is so absurd. None of us want that experience. What beach would you recommend that has calm water, amenities such as a bar (the important things) restaurant and bathrooms?

Dawn beach was just a beach I wanted to check out. I HATE mahi and watching planes. The idea of that is so absurd. None of us want that experience. What beach would you recommend that has calm water, amenities such as a bar (the important things) restaurant and bathrooms?

Well to be perfectly honest with you Dawn is open to the Atlantic so all of the beaches I mentioned are generally calmer than Dawn.

Mullet only has a port o potty if that's an issue but it's a beautiful beach.

I think I would check out pictures of Friars Bay beach if I were you. Some love it some don't. I personally think its pretty. You can walk the path to Happy Bay ( nude sunbathers often though) , takes about 15 minutes each way. The other suggestion would be Anse Marcel beach. The drive in to the beach is filled with a couple of the steepest roads on the island. I often say if I were to win the lottery and buy a villa on St. Martin this is where I would live.

These beaches are not popular with cruisers but I think that you should take advantage of having a driver at your disposal and go somewhere a little off the beaten path.

Edited by Karysa

• 5 weeks later...

Why would any top tour guide agree to book a tour without a deposit? What's to stop you from changing your mind and leaving him without a booking for the day??? I understand your point but I would think that any reputable place will refund your deposit if there are problems with your getting there.

• 2 months later...
Why would any top tour guide agree to book a tour without a deposit? What's to stop you from changing your mind and leaving him without a booking for the day??? I understand your point but I would think that any reputable place will refund your deposit if there are problems with your getting there.

This is my first tour company that has required a deposit. I have traveled to several Caribbean islands. You make the reservation and they send you a confirmation. For instance I'm booked in St. Lucia with Cosol tours. Ask anyone on the STL board if they've left a deposit. They are really popular.

This is my first tour company that has required a deposit. I have traveled to several Caribbean islands. You make the reservation and they send you a confirmation. For instance I'm booked in St. Lucia with Cosol tours. Ask anyone on the STL board if they've left a deposit. They are really popular.

I have been to St. Lucia by cruiseship twice in the last few years and though I think going out on my own on St. Maarten and many other islands is the thing to do I would not feel the same way in St. Lucia. Personally I wouldn't do a private tour for where you want to go in St. Maarten and I would just taxi or rent a car. I Think if people skip out on Cosol there would be others standing in line at the port to take their place. I bet people have gotten off the ship in St Maarten, looked across the bay to the town and said lets scrap the private tour and go it alone and save some money here. The tour guide would have a much harder time getting a private tour group rounded up at the last minute in St. Maarten compared to St. Lucia. Just my thoughts.:)

Edited by Karysa

We have been on Bernards private tours and we came up with a list of what we did and did not want to do. We have another booked for April. He must have raised his deposit because ours was only $50. We are a group of 6 and paying 55 PP.The price could go down to $40 each with the addition of more.

Have you ever been to Maho? It actually is quite good people watching. There is a bar and grill that was quite good. The beach seemed fairly nice. The planes and the airport add to the ambience. Might be worth an hour of your time not far from Marigot. It was a good stopping point for lunch.

Sue

I have been to St. Lucia by cruiseship twice in the last few years and though I think going out on my own on St. Maarten and many other islands is the thing to do I would not feel the same way in St. Lucia. Personally I wouldn't do a private tour for where you want to go in St. Maarten and I would just taxi or rent a car. I Think if people skip out on Cosol there would be others standing in line at the port to take their place. I bet people have gotten off the ship in St Maarten, looked across the bay to the town and said lets scrap the private tour and go it alone and save some money here. The tour guide would have a much harder time getting a private tour group rounded up at the last minute in St. Maarten compared to St. Lucia. Just my thoughts.:)

The taxi idea is tempting and I love to save money but I like the idea of being able to leave our packages from shopping in the vehicle with the tour driver versus having to take things with us from taxi to beach to wherever else we stop. This will be the one time I overpay. Trust me I don't want to. :eek:

We have been on Bernards private tours and we came up with a list of what we did and did not want to do. We have another booked for April. He must have raised his deposit because ours was only $50. We are a group of 6 and paying 55 PP.The price could go down to $40 each with the addition of more.

Have you ever been to Maho? It actually is quite good people watching. There is a bar and grill that was quite good. The beach seemed fairly nice. The planes and the airport add to the ambience. Might be worth an hour of your time not far from Marigot. It was a good stopping point for lunch.

Sue

My deposit was only the $50. I originally misread what was required. His pricing is : Private Tour

Choice of Beach and Sightseeing - 6 Hour Tour Maximum

$360 for guests 1-5, then $40/pp thereafter | $50 Deposit (taken from his website)

Did you negotiate something different with him? We plan on going to Marigot, Orient Beach and Le Galion (Thanks to Karysa) plus additional highlights he points out in transit.

Edited by njgrlloves2trvl
additional thought

My deposit was only the $50. I originally misr $66ead what was required. His pricing is : Private Tour

$360 for guests 1-5, then $40/pp thereafter | $50 Deposit (taken from his website)

Did you negotiate something different with him? We plan on going to Marigot, Orient Beach and Le Galion (Thanks to Karysa) plus additional highlights he points out in transit.

Yes 360 for 1-5 and there are 6 of us so $400 divided between the 6 of us......$66 pp not the $60 I stated. They will also provide a cooler with water, beer and rum. Watch out for the rum it will sneak up on you. We totally negotiated our route I cannot recommend them enough. A little $$ but well worth every penny. Have fun and I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Sue

My deposit was only the $50. I originally misread what was required. His pricing is : Private Tour

We have used Bernard's tours for a private tour several times, very pleased with their service and had a list of things we wanted to do for the day. They will also offer suggestions if you want. Don't know if you want to add Maho Beach. It's just unbelievable seeing the planes land and even take off, something you won't see anywhere else in the world.

We felt very comfortable leaving our bags in their van.

Enjoy your day in St. Maarten, we can wait to go back!

Yes 360 for 1-5 and there are 6 of us so $400 divided between the 6 of us......$66 pp not the $60 I stated. They will also provide a cooler with water' date=' beer and rum. Watch out for the rum it will sneak up on you. We totally negotiated our route I cannot recommend them enough. A little $$ but well worth every penny. Have fun and I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Sue[/quote']

Thanks! It's not something we do often so I won't mind the expense. We plan on having fun.

We have used Bernard's tours for a private tour several times, very pleased with their service and had a list of things we wanted to do for the day. They will also offer suggestions if you want. Don't know if you want to add Maho Beach. It's just unbelievable seeing the planes land and even take off, something you won't see anywhere else in the world.

We felt very comfortable leaving our bags in their van.

Enjoy your day in St. Maarten, we can wait to go back!

Thanks Life is Good! I'm sure it will be a great day. 59 days to go!:D