First night teen program orientation on Solstice to Alaska?

LisaSp

We are sailing 8/1 with our 15 yr old daughter and 13 yr old son. I have read the suggestions that teens should go to that first night orientation to check out/meet other teens on board and find potential peeps to hang with for the week. Recent cruisers were kind enough to post the dailies from their Solstice Alaska cruise, and it looks like that teen program orientation takes place the first night between 8-9pm. If we have late dinner (8:30pm) this timing seems stupid to me...we are also traveling with my parents who are early for everything so they will expect us to be at MDR by 8:15.

So I guess my question is, do you think that time is just a guideline and if they go after dinner there would be many others doing the same? Or do you think that maybe the timing will change by time we sail in August (the dailies were from 5/30 sailing when hypothetically most kids were still in school)?

Thanks for any answers/experiences you may have to share.

They do need to have it sometime; with muster drill, sail away, early dining and late dining something has to give.

My experience with the teen clubs is that if a few teens are there at 8:00 and there is not anything really interesting happening, they will be gone by 8:10 or 8:15. Thus if someone comes at 8:30, they will have missed whoever was there at 8:00. It is the nature of teens.

Now if the staff is really good, and there are a couple of pretty charsimatic kids in the group, there may be a bit more staying power.

The key is to get your kids to meet other kids their age. If the teen club "meet" party is not going to work for your family, they will need to use other means to connect.

And remember, there is no rule that they have to eat in the MDR the first night -- DGM and DGF need to realize that this is a compromise that they might just want to make (it may be better than having sullen teens hanging with you 24/7 for the next few days). If they grandparents are insistent upon everyone dining together, compromise as to another meal that first day or another activity as a family-only get together.

Edited by Onessa

If you're in Traditional dining, and with dining time at 8:30, the grandparents need to realize that the dining room doors will not open until exactly 8:30. The doors are locked, so there's no way grandma and grandpa will be sitting at their table at 8:15, and I don't think its a good idea to stand in line for 15 minutes waiting for them to open the doors.

So, with that known, the kids will have around 30 minutes to see the teen area (the venue is not that big and they'll finish checking it all out in 15 to 20 minutes).

I checked with my 2 children, now in their early 20s. They said that you must, absolutely, be there the first night ON TIME!!! This is when groups are formed.

As I recall, the kids didn't eat with us the first night when they cruised with me as teens.

Future activities during the week are more flexible, kind of hit or miss.

The first night is very relaxed onboard. Most people are tired from a long day of travel and aren't able to eat anyway until fairly late in the day. In know we usually don't eat until 2PM and aren't even very hungry later-sometimes we will just get a snack in the buffet. Plan to let the kids eat in the buffet the first night so they can go to the orientation and you and your parents can have dinner together if you want to do the MDR.

The first night is very relaxed onboard. Most people are tired from a long day of travel and aren't able to eat anyway until fairly late in the day. In know we usually don't eat until 2PM and aren't even very hungry later-sometimes we will just get a snack in the buffet. Plan to let the kids eat in the buffet the first night so they can go to the orientation and you and your parents can have dinner together if you want to do the MDR.

I agree with this...excellent idea. Best of both so to speak lol :p:D

It is absolutely important that the kids go to the first program - it will make a big difference in how they will spend their week. You can make it a rule that they will have dinner with you in the dining room for the rest of the cruise but give them the opportunity to make the most of their cruise, too.

Older teens may or may not spend much time in the scheduled programming and than can lead to problems. We always made an effort to meet who our teens were hanging out with and to meet their parents as well. This can often happen casually at the buffet or when you're in port. Don't make a big deal of it, just say hi and make a little casual conversation.

Thanks very much, everyone! Great point about the pier, maybe they will see some other teens there before we even board. My parents are very seasoned cruisers and while they know doors won't open till 8:30, they are bound to be at MDR maybe not at 8:15, but by 8:25 or so. They can't help themselves lol.

I will have kids go to club promptly at 8 (or whenever it is) and if they come to dinner late, so be it--my parents will understand. We are getting into Seattle the day before, so hopefully our exhaustion won't be too terrible.

Thanks again! :)

I would also make sure to join your roll call and find out if there are other teens onboard whose parents are part of your roll call. If for some reason you decide your teens cannot make the first get-together, maybe you can arrange some side meetings that way - just a thought

• 1 month later...

We are back from our cruise and I am only posting here in case anyone is searching for info about teens and Alaska cruises...my kids went to the orientation thing at 8pm on the first nite and then met us at dinner at 8:30...then they went back to the teen club after dinner and definitely made friends that first nite. Although there were structured activities each nite, the kids seemed to just do a lot of hanging out in the X club and other spots...though occasionally they did the scavenger hunts and other activities. They loved having their freedom and making new friends. It was a fabulous cruise!