Pacific Princess Alaska Experiences

goodie2shoes

We are back from a lovely, though very rainy cruise to Alaska from Vancouver on the Pacific Princess. I would like to share a few things about this cruise with others who might be interested.

First, boarding in Vancouver. Since we were the only ship in port that morning, it was absolutely the best I have ever experienced at any port. We arrived at the port with 4 bottles of wine for the two of us, fully expecting to pay the corkage on 2 of the bottles. They were in a clearly identified wine carry bag, and went through the security and back into our possession without anyone saying a thing. We proceeded to check in with them in plain sight, and no one said a thing. There was no place to show them what we had and pay the corkage. We boarded the ship and still no one said a thing. So we went to our cabin, put them away to enjoy there later during the cruise, and that was the end of it. No corkage charged.

If any of you think you will never get enough cruises/days to qualify for the Most Traveled Person party, well think again. The most traveled couple on this cruise had a total of 288 days. We were told at the muster drill by Silvaine, the Captains Circle Rep. who was also conducting the drill that we were number 5 among the most traveled, but that there would be no party because there were so few people to attend, so they gave us free dinner in a specialty restaurant. There were only 13 Elite on this cruise. Over 500 of the passengers were Blue Cards - first time Princess cruisers.

The ship was beautiful, and crew delightful, and the food in the dining room and specialty restaurants very good. The buffet left something to be desired. We did not find it very good, but did enjoy making our own salad and picking up a piece of pizza (which was excellent as usual) for lunch once or twice.

My only complaint with the ports was where we were docked. The only way we could have been further away from the businesses in the ports would have been to be anchored and have to tender. It seems that Princess is not a favorite with the various port authorities, and always gets put the furthest away, while Celebrity seemed to be a favorite and in the best spots on this cruise.

For those driving to Vancouver, I have to say that judging from this cruise and the one two years ago, Canada has the most unfriendly Customs / Border Guards I have ever come across. Two years ago the woman processing us asked bluntly "Where is your Gun?" We were stunned. My husband finally said "at home locked in the safe where it belongs" which really didn't satisfy her. She kept asking questions about guns. We wondered if she thinks that everyone in the US, or California since that is where we are from has a gun.

This year the man we got looked at our passports and asked why we were driving all the way from California when we could have taken a plane and spent less time getting there. I leaned over and told him that I don't like to fly - that's why I cruise. He let it go at that, but I had the feeling both times that they just don't want us in Canada. We go there, we spend our money in their country, but they don't want us. Maybe I will have to start looking for cruises from Seattle or SFO from now on, and be sure to not get off the ship in Victoria since my money is obviously not wanted.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise, and the ship, and are looking forward to Alaska next summer as the summer just doesn't seem complete without visiting Alaska.

We are back from a lovely, though very rainy cruise to Alaska from Vancouver on the Pacific Princess. I would like to share a few things about this cruise with others who might be interested.

First, boarding in Vancouver. Since we were the only ship in port that morning, it was absolutely the best I have ever experienced at any port. We arrived at the port with 4 bottles of wine for the two of us, fully expecting to pay the corkage on 2 of the bottles. They were in a clearly identified wine carry bag, and went through the security and back into our possession without anyone saying a thing. We proceeded to check in with them in plain sight, and no one said a thing. There was no place to show them what we had and pay the corkage. We boarded the ship and still no one said a thing. So we went to our cabin, put them away to enjoy there later during the cruise, and that was the end of it. No corkage charged.

If any of you think you will never get enough cruises/days to qualify for the Most Traveled Person party, well think again. The most traveled couple on this cruise had a total of 288 days. We were told at the muster drill by Silvaine, the Captains Circle Rep. who was also conducting the drill that we were number 5 among the most traveled, but that there would be no party because there were so few people to attend, so they gave us free dinner in a specialty restaurant. There were only 13 Elite on this cruise. Over 500 of the passengers were Blue Cards - first time Princess cruisers.

The ship was beautiful, and crew delightful, and the food in the dining room and specialty restaurants very good. The buffet left something to be desired. We did not find it very good, but did enjoy making our own salad and picking up a piece of pizza (which was excellent as usual) for lunch once or twice.

My only complaint with the ports was where we were docked. The only way we could have been further away from the businesses in the ports would have been to be anchored and have to tender. It seems that Princess is not a favorite with the various port authorities, and always gets put the furthest away, while Celebrity seemed to be a favorite and in the best spots on this cruise.

For those driving to Vancouver, I have to say that judging from this cruise and the one two years ago, Canada has the most unfriendly Customs / Border Guards I have ever come across. Two years ago the woman processing us asked bluntly "Where is your Gun?" We were stunned. My husband finally said "at home locked in the safe where it belongs" which really didn't satisfy her. She kept asking questions about guns. We wondered if she thinks that everyone in the US, or California since that is where we are from has a gun.

This year the man we got looked at our passports and asked why we were driving all the way from California when we could have taken a plane and spent less time getting there. I leaned over and told him that I don't like to fly - that's why I cruise. He let it go at that, but I had the feeling both times that they just don't want us in Canada. We go there, we spend our money in their country, but they don't want us. Maybe I will have to start looking for cruises from Seattle or SFO from now on, and be sure to not get off the ship in Victoria since my money is obviously not wanted.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise, and the ship, and are looking forward to Alaska next summer as the summer just doesn't seem complete without visiting Alaska.

Thanks for your review! Glad you had a great time. :)

I agree they can be nasty at the border. :(

Thanks for the review. It made us remember the great time on Pacific in May. At that time the crew on board was excellent! Not sure how they are assigned berths but we docked at all the ports and had the best or near best position. In Ketchikan, with 4 other ships in port, we were absolutely front row center. Maybe just luck of the draw.:D

I had to chuckle when I read about the border guards. You hit the nail on the head. We've had a couple of experiences with them that have left me shaking my head and I'm Canadian!

A friend of mine was driving across the border with Texas plates and had the same experience with the gun question. In fact, they even pulled him over and searched his car (a Miata... like that is going to fit much in it).

Another time we took my niece shopping across the line and had a note signed by her parents stating she was authorized blah blah blah. We had absolutely no problem heading in the US, didn't even have to show the note to US Customs. Coming home was a completely different story. We were questions, had to show the note and if I remember correctly, she was even asked a question. Beyond ridiculous in my opinion.

Anyhow, I'm glad you had a wonderful trip. Sailing on the Pacific Princess has been my most favourite cruise so far.

I had to chuckle when I read about the border guards. You hit the nail on the head. We've had a couple of experiences with them that have left me shaking my head and I'm Canadian!

A friend of mine was driving across the border with Texas plates and had the same experience with the gun question. In fact, they even pulled him over and searched his car (a Miata... like that is going to fit much in it).

We had the same questions several times both on the Clipper from Seattle and driving a rental from Seattle.

I can only imagine what would happen if I was driving my car from Colorado. :eek:

We had the same questions several times both on the Clipper from Seattle and driving a rental from Seattle.

I can only imagine what would happen if I was driving my car from Colorado. :eek:

You Colorado guys are almost as bad as us Arizonans.:eek::D

Maybe they are afraid that US citizens will start flooding into Canada the way others are doing at the southern US border.:eek::D Canada looks better all the time. :D

:D:D: I think it's luck of the draw on customs people. I've had some aggressive and downright rude ones when coming into the USA as well as some very efficient and polite ones. Since I'm half Canadian ;) maybe I get special love when entering Canada, but I've had very few bad experiences crossing from the USA into Canada (and I've done it more than a few times.) In any case, I'm glad OP had a good cruise on my favorite ship.

I agree, I cross the border frequently and neither country's border service agents have cornered the market on tact or finesse.

On the other hand, my sister-in-law just retired after 35 years with CBSA and she told me that they were instructed on how to ask questions to throw people off and see how the traveller reacted. It wasn't just what the traveller said, but how they said it that they would gauge...

Goodie2shoes......"My only complaint with the ports was where we were docked. The only way we could have been further away from the businesses in the ports would have been to be anchored and have to tender. It seems that Princess is not a favorite with the various port authorities, and always gets put the furthest away, while Celebrity seemed to be a favorite and in the best spots on this cruise."

I think the size of the Pacific Princess had something to do with the berthing location as compared to the larger sized ships (length & capacity) that are carrying 2500-3500 passengers.......also, think the berths are pre-assigned for each days arrivals.......my 2 cents:D

I think it just depends upon the order the ships arrive into port and their size. I remember a few years ago on the Infinity arriving into Ketchican early in the morning & berthing, but when we returned to the ship in the afternoon, she had pulled away & moored and we had to tender back. In her place at the dock was one of the larger vessels.

I think it just depends upon the order the ships arrive into port and their size. I remember a few years ago on the Infinity arriving into Ketchican early in the morning & berthing, but when we returned to the ship in the afternoon, she had pulled away & moored and we had to tender back. In her place at the dock was one of the larger vessels.

HA has the best docking spots in Ketchikan all the time.

On the other hand, my sister-in-law just retired after 35 years with CBSA and she told me that they were instructed on how to ask questions to throw people off and see how the traveller reacted. It wasn't just what the traveller said, but how they said it that they would gauge...

I was going to say this also. I don't think they're being rude for the sake of being rude. I think it's a "method" used to identify people that might be a problem. They're looking for your reaction. I assume they are well trained in how to do this and what to look for in terms of your response and tenor.

I've been to Canada many times and find the people and the country great. Don't let the snarky border/customs guys think you're not welcomed. It's just unfortunately how they are instructed to do their jobs in today's world.