Day trip to Girona

Irina

Has anyone done a day trip to Girona? Do you need a tour or is it pretty easy to go on your own? How about a guide once you are there?

And how about getting to the Dali museum from there?

I'm from Barcelona and I can tell you a couple o things.

Day trip to Girona is possible. But its about an hour trip each way. Depending on traffics.

Dalí's museum is not at Girona city but in Figueres, which is a town about half an hour to the north.

I'm from Barcelona and I can tell you a couple o things.

Day trip to Girona is possible. But its about an hour trip each way. Depending on traffics.

Dalí's museum is not at Girona city but in Figueres, which is a town about half an hour to the north.

Thank you. We will not have a car. How accessible is Girona by train? And can we get to figueres from there by train or bus?

Since you are from Barcelona, can you recommend some places to eat that are more local and less touristy? I can't wait to see your beautiful city!

Thank you. We will not have a car. How accessible is Girona by train? And can we get to figueres from there by train or bus?

Since you are from Barcelona, can you recommend some places to eat that are more local and less touristy? I can't wait to see your beautiful city!

Hi Irina,

Girona is accessible by train. You should take a train from Barcelona (Plaça de Catalunya - Catalonia Square) to Girona city.

Depending on the type of train (regional or "fast"), it will vary from about 40 minutes to 1h 20'. I suppose the ticket price will be also very different.

You can also go from Girona to Figueres by train. It will be about 40 minutes more.

I'm not sure about how it works as I've never done it. I always go by car.

You can check timetables here...

Select Barcelona as "origen" and Girona as "destino" and de day/month/year you need. Later you can do the same thing by changing cities and including Figueres.

Here you can see the train stations between Barcelona and Girona. I can't tell you which stops does each kind of train.

girona.png

As for typical (very typical catalan cuisine) I can tell you a restaurant called PEPS buffet. You can check it at tripadvisor. It's at a typical restaurants and bars zone called El Born.

I'll try to think on other ones ;) But it depends on the zone your hotel will be.

Yor hotel is very well located. It's a very short walk from Plaça de Catalunya where you can take the train.

A short walk also to Les Rambles (veeeeery nice). You must go to La Boqueria market at the same street. And you should give Pinocho a try. Very nice bar/restaurant inside La Boqueria. A favorite of Ferran Adrià whose owner is his friend.

You are also very near (10 minutes) from Gaudi's Pedrera and Casa Batllò at Passeig de Gràcia (lots of shops and best brands boutiques).

-------------------------

I'll take a look to your posts in a week. Tomorrow we'll be enjoying Liberty!!! :cool:

Girona was a great choice (for us) for a day trip. As you can see in the pictures it was less crowded than Barcelona and well preserved. Getting there was easy. A cab to the train station. Getting there a few minutes early was good as it allowed us to make sure we took the correct train. We then ate breakfast while we waited. We did not go to Besalu but it is about 45 minutes from Girona by bus. That would make it a nice full day.