Earliest flight out of Bergen?

RMLincoln

We will arrive Bergen on Friday 31 Oct, Midnatsol, after the 11 day round-trip cruise. We want to fly to Amsterdam that day if possible. The cheap flight on SAS at 4:00pm but there is a Norwegian.com flight at 5:00pm for twice the price. What do you pros think of trying to make a 4pm flight?

If we can get into Amsterdam that night we rent a houseboat at a darn good price (3 nights), but its not available for just 2 nights. Thanks for sharing your experiences. m--

I agree, a 4pm flight seems too early for comfort. It may be possible on a good day, but even a slight delay would be a problem (ship delay, disembarking delay, traffic...). I wouldn't risk it.

I agree, a 4pm flight seems too early for comfort. It may be possible on a good day, but even a slight delay would be a problem (ship delay, disembarking delay, traffic...). I wouldn't risk it.

4.00pm - a bit risky. Our flight to Amsterdam was at 5.15pm & although we made it in decent time, our ship arrived in Bergen 45 mins late due to bad weather and we were held up badly in the rush hour traffic too.

Thanks for sharing with me, you all are good realists and that plan just won't work, as I expected.

So our choice will be to take the 5pm flight, which may be a bit risky even at that time from what you've said..... traffic, boat delays... I really do want to enjoy my travels, no stress through them.

Or just enjoy our night in Bergen, fly out comfortably at 10am and just have the one full day in Amsterdam.... this time! and we'll just have to come back to enjoy some more of Amsterdam another year.

There is an early departure at 6am but I'm not sure if we would be able to get to the airport at 4:30 or 5am. I'm looking into busses from Bergen to the airport. [sigh] We'd get into Amsterdam early, at about 0940... with luggage and no place to leave it...

Oh I guess I'll just go with the flow and overnight in Bergen and have my one day in Amsterdam and enjoy what we can. It's all good!

Thanks, I appreciate your help so much! And I'm sure I'll be back with the next set of issues :) m--

We will arrive Bergen on Friday 31 Oct, Midnatsol, after the 11 day round-trip cruise. We want to fly to Amsterdam that day if possible. The cheap flight on SAS at 4:00pm but there is a Norwegian.com flight at 5:00pm for twice the price. What do you pros think of trying to make a 4pm flight?

If we can get into Amsterdam that night we rent a houseboat at a darn good price (3 nights), but its not available for just 2 nights. Thanks for sharing your experiences. m--

Hi,

Appreciate you may be limited by airline ticketing but there's a KLM flight at 1720 on 31/10. I've caught this flight about 5 times after disembarking from Hurtigruten and never had problem, even after late disembarkation, traffic jams etc.

On my first visit we booked a cab to airport as we had what we thought was an early flight (before 5 I think) & were surprised to see all our sailing companions arrive 5 min after us on Hurtigruten buses! We were then sitting around waiting for 45min+

Agree with previous posters re 4pm flight but personally I'd feel confident of 5pm onwards.

Fair Winds & weather,

Richard

Hi,

Appreciate you may be limited by airline ticketing but there's a KLM flight at 1720 on 31/10. I've caught this flight about 5 times after disembarking from Hurtigruten and never had problem, even after late disembarkation, traffic jams etc.

On my first visit we booked a cab to airport as we had what we thought was an early flight (before 5 I think) & were surprised to see all our sailing companions arrive 5 min after us on Hurtigruten buses! We were then sitting around waiting for 45min+

Agree with previous posters re 4pm flight but personally I'd feel confident of 5pm onwards.

Fair Winds & weather,

Richard

Great info Richard. I had not found that KLM flight but will certainly look for it. The latest flight to come up is the 5pm flight on Norwegian.com for $199. Plus some that turn itno overnight flights... I will go directly to the KLM website and search for it.

And I need to look at how to book the taxi transfer too, or maybe it would just be easier to take the Hurtigruten bus. All the ideas here help me gain confidence. Thank you so much.

m-- for both of us, that's Richard and Maureen :)

And I need to look at how to book the taxi transfer too, or maybe it would just be easier to take the Hurtigruten bus.

If there is a Hurtigruten bus (there should be!) it's probably the most convenient. Or you can take a taxi if you want. All that can be booked on board from your tour leader. There usually is a special passenger meeting a day or two before reaching Bergen where all the transfer options will be presented to you and you can book the one you want.

Richard - I found the KLM flight but it is $300pp more than the one in the morning, so I think we'll enjoy our stay in Bergen overnight.

Sarnia - Merci! Glad to know that arrangements can be made on board for transfers if needed. I haven't booked hotel yet in Bergen but that is one of the many next steps. :) m--

We are doing the overnight in Bergen as to not rush for the flight. Staying at the Hanseatic Hotel. (http://www.dethanseatiskehotel.no/en/)

If you're staying overnight then the airport bus is an option for your transfer.

They have regular departures (every 20 minutes?) from several locations within the city centre and are good value. We used them on our last visit and would do so again.

If you're staying overnight then the airport bus is an option for your transfer.

They have regular departures (every 20 minutes?) from several locations within the city centre and are good value. We used them on our last visit and would do so again.

Do you remember how one pays for the airport bus? We'll need it one way, from hotel to airport. Thx, m--

You pay the driver as you board. All you need to know is at www.flybussen.no/en/Bergen

I had read on TripAdvisor (when reading about Bergen hotels) that FlyBus is temporarily not running, due to expansion at the Bergen airport limiting space for shuttles.... But I will guess that whichever company is running the remaining shuttle will also take cash on board. I may try to email the hotel (Comfort Hotel Holberg) and see what they can tell us. If I learn anything I'll post it! m--