Public pianos - Eclipse?

CherishBritta

Luckily this won't happen. They don't have 50 pianos laying around, nor are there trumpets, tubas, flutes, guitars or triangles laying all around in the non-theatre spaces. So most you'd have is maybe 2 people on different floors at one time playing the piano.

Though I have seen people bring guitars on and play them in public spaces.

If it were a problem, the CD could easily rope the piano(s) off or place a sign reminding guests not to use them the very first time it became an issue and thus save the CD from becoming a very unhappy person.

I have no idea if they do or don't sign or rope them, but lacking rope or sign, seems to give the AOK to me.

To each their own though.

I think this is a reasonable idea.

Every summer we go to a family camp that has 3 pianos in a room adjacent to the dining room.

Most days someone is playing one of them as meals end and very often they're really good and it's very entertaining.

If you use your judgement as to time and place it might actually be an enhancement for some people!

I would object to that also. What if I decided to play my chanter (look it up) in public places. I have as much right to play that as does the bloke w the guitar.

DON

Your tongue-in-cheek suggestion brought to mind one of our most memorable experiences on a cruise.

I was aware that there was a VERY large group dining in the MDR across from us . It wasn't a big deal BUT on the last formal night, after most people had been seated, they all came in dressed in kilts led by several bagpipe players. It was FABULOUS. The rest of the dining room stood and applauded as they finished.

So, if you want to bring and play your chanter just make sure to also wear your kilt and please make an entrance as you do! :D ;)

An, BTW, why do some people feel the need to be so mean and sarcastic when someone merely asks a question on here? :(

Edited by chamima

. The bigger questions, is how does the lion "do his business" after eating? Again, the owner is required to handle that situation though Celebrity will provide a space in a non-public room for this purpose, even bringing in a patch of sod if the Lion prefers sod to mulch for these purposes.

Celebrity can be quite accommodating.

There is the Lawn - would that be acceptable I wonder.

There is the Lawn - would that be acceptable I wonder.

Actually again, the assistive animal policy prohibits the animals from even touching the lawn, let alone relieving themselves there. :D

As a matter of fact if one "does business" in any public space or cabin (i.e. anywhere but the provided venue on lower decks) the animal and its owner can be disembarked at the next port, where they can possibly rejoin their Carnival Cruise the lion Leo was accustomed to sailing with his prior cruises.

Edited by cle-guy

If Ive paid for a cruise I want to listen to professional entertainers. Not a 'Kareoke' of variable passenger musicians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"a 'Kareoke' of variable passenger musicians" :eek::eek::eek:

What about a Lion doing tricks?

It's your crusie, enjoy yourself! Some people enjoy the bagpipes. I wear a kilt to formal dinner as a matter of fact :D.

Please don't say that! Enough people already think they can do what they want and treat people the way they want because "it's my vacation". My husband likes to smoke, but I'm sure nobody wants him to ignore rules just because he's on vacation.

Now, as to the piano, of course OP should ask first, but if Celebrity doesn't mind, we wouldn't either. We always have the option to go somewhere else.

And my husband sometimes wears a kilt, but not for formal night and and not around our son-in-law, who's Scottish.

Please don't say that! Enough people already think they can do what they want and treat people the way they want because "it's my vacation". My husband likes to smoke, but I'm sure nobody wants him to ignore rules just because he's on vacation.

I mean of course do anything that is not prohibited in the rules, code of conduct, contract of carriage or cruise contract.

Smoking is addressed in those documents, musical instruments being brought aboard are addressed and allowed (see the poster who reported a procession of bagpipers arriving to dinner!) That there is no sign saying DON'T TOUCH on the piano says it's up for grabs if its in a public space. Even the poster who was just on Eclipse for a tour asked the questions and was not told "no guests can't use it" they said "I got the distinct impression from their response they wouldn't appreciate it" that's that poster's opinion to a very pointed question and answer where the answer could have simply been "NO guests can't play" or "it depends, we ask that they seek permission first".

That a guest is asking here in these forums is a real good indicator s/he doesn't want to just sit down band bang out "chopsticks" all afternoon, likely they are properly trained and want only to keep in practice and share their love of the piano itself, not any different than a ships' entertainer sitting to play as far as I would see it, just a cool impromptu private concert really.

So I'll modify my statement to:

It's your crusie, enjoy yourself! Just as long as you follow the rules, code of conduct, contract of carriage and crusie contract terms, and that means gentlemen dressing for Formal night with at minimum a jacket if you want to dine in the MDR or else eat elsewhere that night :D

Edited by cle-guy

It's your crusie, enjoy yourself! Just as long as you follow the rules, code of conduct, contract of carriage and crusie contract terms, and that means gentlemen dressing for Formal night with at minimum a jacket if you want to dine in the MDR or else eat elsewhere that night :D

If you add "be considerate of your follow passenger", I'll be even happier.

If you add "be considerate of your follow passenger", I'll be even happier.

Problem with that, is it's too broad to understand. I think sharing ones talents with their love of the piano is being considerate.

Those who don't like piano music may think it's inconsiderate.

Problem with that, is it's too broad to understand. I think sharing ones talents with their love of the piano is being considerate.

Those who don't like piano music may think it's inconsiderate.

and I'm considerate by not singing.

While were on the topic of what is allowed,my eleven grandchildren are incredibly talented.

Four are synchronized swimmers, two are college scholarship fencers,four are tag team wrestlers,and one is a lion tamer. I'm sure no one would mind if they practiced their arts on board,would they ?

The wrestlers are allowed to go the pool deck early in the morning, and use the chair hogs as their training dummies.

We've had two experiences with passengers playing instruments in public areas. One was delightful - it was a college or high school aged young woman who was playing an instrument she brought in Micheal's club and had the ship's permission to practice there. We happened to have grabbed a table there one afternoon to play cards and did not mind her excellent playing.

The second time was in a more open lounge by someone whose music was very disturbing to listen to. Worst part was when he refused to stop when I politely asked him to do so after listening to the awful sounds for 10 or 15 minutes. After another passenger made the same request in a not so nice manner he stopped playing and stormed off.

Bottom line: I presume any player who chooses to play in a public venue probably believes others will appreciate their music. This is not always the case no matter what the person thinks of their music. Even if they are excellent players in their style of music there may be some passengers around who do not appreciate it. Because of this I think it is impolite for a passenger to play music around the ship unless they discussed it with management and have their express permission, and possibly their request, to do so.

As

We've had two experiences with passengers playing instruments in public areas. One was delightful - it was a college or high school aged young woman who was playing an instrument she brought in Micheal's club and had the ship's permission to practice there. We happened to have grabbed a table there one afternoon to play cards and did not mind her excellent playing.

The second time was in a more open lounge by someone whose music was very disturbing to listen to. Worst part was when he refused to stop when I politely asked him to do so after listening to the awful sounds for 10 or 15 minutes. After another passenger made the same request in a not so nice manner he stopped playing and stormed off.

Bottom line: I presume any player who chooses to play in a public venue probably believes others will appreciate their music. This is not always the case no matter what the person thinks of their music. Even if they are excellent players in their style of music there may be some passengers around who do not appreciate it. Because of this I think it is impolite for a passenger to play music around the ship unless they discussed it with management and have their express permission, and possibly their request, to do so.

As

Perfectly put.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lsimon, as always, you give brilliant advice !!!!!!

What's interesting about your comment is that there seems to be those who feel their musical talents are equal to the likes of Chopin, Stern, Ma and other greats. But reality is, their talent could be perceived by others as no better than an 8 month old pounding on a drum. This is especially the case with parents and their musical genius darlings. There was a cruise where a mother insisted that her 6 year old practice his violin in a public venue. She thought he was perfection while to everyone else, it was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

One of our neighbors is a teenage girl who thinks she's a singer. She must take lessons because she practices a couple of hours a day. We can hear her if the windows are open or we're in the back yard. She is horrible. We would ask her to stop, but it makes her happy and she needs the practice. It's not helping but she needs it.