Get me from Newark to Manhattan (please)

funat55

We are planning a cruise on the Breakaway for next year. We plan to fly into Newark on March 6th and we will be staying in Manhattan. There are five of us. Does anyone have a shuttle or car service that they can recommend?

Dial 7 or Carmellimo.

If you have kids under 12, you might want to consider the airport bus to Manhattan stopping at Port Authority, Bryant Park, and Grand Central. Kids under 12 are free and kids 12-16 are $10. Adults are $16. Round trip adult is $28. If your hotel is not located near one of these stops, you can take a cab or two cabs from the nearest stop.

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=Newark+Liberty+Airport&s1=NJ&c2=New+York&s2=NY&resultId=155054&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Folympia%2Fss%2Enewarkairport%2Easp&cbid=759122982079

Edited by 138east

Flying TSCON from CA into NY area, depending on whether you have airline loyalty and fare basis, please consider comparison shop of fares AND the total cost for ground transportation (for 5 of you) using EWR vs. JFK, especially with non-stop flights and with your cruise sailing out of Manhattan's (and, that of Brooklyn) cruise terminal. EWR is notorious for both ATC and ground stops flight delays - happening almost year-round and its runway configurations for landings/takeoffs are often cut during adverse weather. Stormy summer weather in the last 48 hours, mostly unrelated to Hurricane Arthur that mostly missed NYC, were proof of how bad things were - plenty of discussions on Flyertalk Forum.

A lot more choices for hotels, inexpensive ground transport options - and if all goes as planned (been delayed multiple times) the #7 subway train extension will bring cruiseline passengers closer to the pier with the new 42nd. Street & 10th Avenue underground station stop - with elevators.

From JFK, it's $5 p/p on the AirTrain to Jamaica Station, transfer for the LIRR Train to NY Penn Station, or, for those who travel light & can manage luggage, subway train ride into Manhattan to a station closest to one's hotel. (Not for those planning to stay in NJ and/or sailing out of Cape Liberty, for obvious reasons)

As 138east/Carol noted - go with Dial7 or Carmel (our favorite) for a flat rate ride, and 5 with luggage will definitely be needing a minivan that they can confirm & dispatch, for a slightly higher fare - but it will still be less than a ride into Manhattan due to the tolls involved (and, they will be going UP again in 2015 as levied by the Port Authority of NY/NJ) - savings will be sufficient to often pay for the 15% to 20% tips for the driver. Yellow metered taxi to/from Manhattan from/to JFK is on a flat rate.

Happy Cruise Planning :D

Sorry mking but what does TSCON stand for? I do not have any airline loyalty. Usually fly Southwest but have also flown Spirit and Jet Blue.

I read that if flying into New York, LaGuardia is closer to Manhattan then JFK but that EWR is closer then JFK. So far the lowest quote for air came from Jet Blue to EWR. However, all that may change as we have now decided to push our trip to August instead of March. I just didn't want to bring my family for their first trip to New York when it was freezing cold.

I am looking into using my Disney Vacation Points at a hotel in Manhattan. There are a couple on the list if I can swing it.

138east, thanks for posting the link to the bus schedule. Looks like they run quite frequently.

Appreciate all the advice.

Funat55, I don't have your approximate travel dates for this August or next March to price out airfares and whether it's for non-stop if you are near LAX, or from other airports which would require a connecting flight (i.e. via DEN, ORD, IAH, etc.) and not a TSCON or transcontinental nonstop flight, coast to coast. Although, it's not usual to be flying a B737-700, 800 or 900 narrow bodied (stretched) jet these days for 5 to 6 hours with no meals in coach, knees into elbows and 2 tiny bathrooms for 100+ pax.

August weather in NY can be hot & humid, worst than southern CA whereas March can be cold, but usually not snowy and could sometimes be warming up to the 40's and 50's (that's cold by CA's standard, of course) but you will usually find cruise fares to be lowered, except for school breaks & holiday weeks in the winter months.

Fly into Newark and with 5 people & luggage, even mass transit fares can really add up and a minivan will run about $100 + tips vs. about $70 + tips for JFK with the same car service & minivan. JFK will run less at $45 to $55 for minivan, depending on hotel location in Manhattan.

If you must or can do a connection (which we always prefer to avoid) - look into fares for LGA, although UA-CO has shifted most of their flights to EWR (and scaled back even at JFK) JetBlue's main hub is really JFK but I'm biased with them & they aren't as inexpensive as it used to be, and with their new "Mint" product rolling out - legroom is shrinking across the entire fleet, so beware. Our business is spreading out with AA and DL these days as we don't use Sprint or Southwest here in the Northeast - if and when we must fly, cruise or otherwise for leisure & business travel.

Are you planning to fly into NYC area midweek and then fly home immediately after the cruise, as those plans would set the outline for flight options & pricing, hotels & availability - and, to take all those into consideration the entire "package" cost including time & delays in the air and on the ground.

Edited by mking8288

Finding a hotel room for 5 can be a challenge. The Marriott brand hotels seem to offer the most selection and definitely not in all hotel properties. I have been fooling around with reservations for a family wedding for three nights in September. Our group started out with 8-9 people including two children and an infant. We are now down to 4 adults and an infant. We started off with three rooms with kitchens for three nights in Candlewood Suites in Jersey City, but I just found a mini suite in the Jersey City Courtyard with two rooms, two queens, sofabed and refrigerator. This room is $261 incl tax with an AAA discount which is an excellent price for what we're getting. This hotel is across the street from a PATH station for quick subway access to midtown and downtown Manhattan. A comparable room in Manhattan (Chelsea Courtyard) was over $600 for our dates.

I'd check hotel availability and prices for your dates before you commit to plane reservations.