Parents and coffee

Natalia&Nick

We were there less than a month ago. Mom thought the coffee in the buffet was fine. My sister and daughter thought it was undrinkable swill and went to the Café AL Bacio for their coffee. Both bought drink packages without the alcohol.

As my DD said, "Grammy also drinks Folgers at home." She is also of the opinion that decaf is really made from the dirt that coffee is grown in. I guess you might say she is a bit of a coffee snob.

What do your parents normally drink? Did they try the free coffee in the buffet?

My parents are on Equinox without a drinks package. How can they get the best coffee?

Thank you

By paying for it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Short of paying for it, take packets of instant from home, have they tried Starbucks VIA? Then get hot water form the buffet tea hot water dispensers and there you go.

I feel like adding a pack of VIA to the buffet coffee actually makes the buffet coffee decent LOL.

Some also take French Press coffee pots and their own ground coffee and use the same hot water from buffet to prepare it (or order hot water from room service, no charge, though many tip a dollar for the service).

I think the coffee from room service is actually better than the buffet and is complimentary as well. But I normally travel in a suite, and not sure if my coffee comes from the same place as normal rooms service coffee, I feel like the butlers prepare it themselves in their pantries.

Short of paying for it, take packets of instant from home, have they tried Starbucks VIA? Then get hot water form the buffet tea hot water dispensers and there you go.

I feel like adding a pack of VIA to the buffet coffee actually makes the buffet coffee decent LOL.

Some also take French Press coffee pots and their own ground coffee and use the same hot water from buffet to prepare it (or order hot water from room service, no charge, though many tip a dollar for the service).

I think the coffee from room service is actually better than the buffet and is complimentary as well. But I normally travel in a suite, and not sure if my coffee comes from the same place as normal rooms service coffee, I feel like the butlers prepare it themselves in their pantries.

Let me know if you need a roommate :D

We typically stay in a lesser cabin, and yes, the coffee delivered to the room in the morning is much better than the buffet. DW usually gets breakfast delivered to the room in the a.m. I help her drink the coffee.

Still, suites could be getting better coffee.????

My sister and daughter thought it was undrinkable swill and went to the Café AL Bacio for their coffee. Both bought drink packages without the alcohol.

May I ask does this mean that a beverage package would cover pre paid coffee from Cafe Al Bacio? I proudly admit to being a coffee snob as are many Melburnians. It would please me no end if I could use a bevy package for my coffees.

My sister and daughter thought it was undrinkable swill and went to the Café AL Bacio for their coffee. Both bought drink packages without the alcohol.

May I ask does this mean that a beverage package would cover pre paid coffee from Cafe Al Bacio? I proudly admit to being a coffee snob as are many Melburnians. It would please me no end if I could use a bevy package for my coffees.

Yes!

Yes, the beverage package includes coffees from Cafe al Bacio.

To the OP; if your parents drink lots of coffee, they should get at least a classic non-alcoholic package. It also includes sodas, water and freshly squeezed orange juice in the morning. :)

I totally agree. I took Via and got hot water and or buffet coffee and made my own brew every morning.

How much is the classic drink package? We've already used up our 123 package on something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all on the website...

How much is the classic drink package? We've already used up our 123 package on something else.

For a cabin of 2, $98/day plus the 15% gratuity = $112.70 in value per day for the cabin of 2 people.

Unless one got a suite for the gratuities ($15.50 x 2 = $31/day per cabin of 2) , its hard to get better value form the 123 than the beverage package if one does drink and use it.....you may want to consider swapping perks if it makes sense.

Assuming 7 day, standard cabin

Beverage value is $788.90

OBC value $200

Gratuities $12.50/day/person = $175 (suite = $217)

The non-alcoholic beverage packages are very reasonable. I think the premium one, which covers the frozen drinks as well, was about $20 per day including gratuities. It has been a while since I purchased, though.

The less expensive one doesn't include frozen drinks, and I think it was about $16 per day.

After a cup or two from the coffee shop, a can of Coke and 2-3 bottles of water a day, it more than paid for itself. Mom didn't originally want one, but was glad she had it. Sis bought one as soon as she tasted the coffee in the buffet.

Thanks for answering my question. We haven't cruised Celebrity before, so don't know the coffee. We've cruised HAL a number of times and found the 'regular' coffee was just fine. We are used to a dark west coast blend as our regular morning coffee at home, so if Celebrity's coffee is anywhere near that, we'll be just fine without paying extra for a package. If necessary, I'll just ante-up for a premium coffee when I "need" one. Thanks again. Happy cruising.

For a cabin of 2, $98/day plus the 15% gratuity = $112.70 in value per day for the cabin of 2 people....

Keep in mind there are non-alcoholic packages that include the Coffee from Café al Bacio starting at $16 per person per day plus the 15% service charge.

Thanks for answering my question. We haven't cruised Celebrity before, so don't know the coffee. We've cruised HAL a number of times and found the 'regular' coffee was just fine. We are used to a dark west coast blend as our regular morning coffee at home, so if Celebrity's coffee is anywhere near that, we'll be just fine without paying extra for a package. If necessary, I'll just ante-up for a premium coffee when I "need" one. Thanks again. Happy cruising.

Some people find the no-extra-charge coffee on board fine and some despise it. I don't like it very much and have either bought the premium espresso coffee or brought our own instant or French press coffee in the past. Keep in mind you can always buy a package on board, prorated for the remainder of the cruise, if you change your mind.

Also - the premium, extra cost, coffee on board is all espresso based coffee. There is no premium drip brewed (filter) coffee. I know some people who do not like the espresso based coffee even if it is diluted with hot water to make an "Americano".

Thanks again. We'll wait and see just how the coffee is once on board. If I find I need my latte fix, I'll either purchase it separately or, if the regular coffee is really bad, purchase a package at that point. Does the non-alcoholic package include soft drinks? If it does, then the $16 pp/pd would make sense to us as we do drink a fair amount of soft drinks at home and we have a lot of sea days on this 14 day cruise.

Funny that the thread started in 2013 but the question is always relevant.

I can't recommend the premium non - alcoholic package highly enough. You can have all the coffee you want, plus premium waters (Evian), sodas, frozen drinks, mocktails, freshly squeezed OJs, smoothies, plus you can get unopened cans which you can fill your cabin fridge with to enjoy on the balcony. We got our cabin steward to empty the fridge and then every time we went back to the cabin we got a bottle of water or a can at the nearest bar.

Happy sailing!

Edited by Jo and Rob

We are new to Celebrity, sailing for 14 nights in just 369 days, but who's counting?

In reading the boards, I feel we must be the only ones on the entire ship without the beverage packages.

Our cruise is a gift from my in-laws, and we have OBC that will take care of our gratuities with a little bit left over, but since we are four (me, husband and two teenaged daughters) in our cabin, the cost of the beverage packages is prohibitive (2 Premium non-alcoholic = $480; two Class Packages = $1372; total of $1852). The girls like hot chocolate and smoothies, and we like coffee and a drink or two but we'll just have to go ala carte.

Instead of the package, I wish Celebrity sold a "coffee card" like Princess that had a set number of specialty coffees and it was punched as you ordered.