How to pack my wine??

ASASJ5

I am bringing 5 bottles with me next Sunday on BA and I am trying to figure out how to pack them in a carry on so that a) I won't break my back and b) it will be quick sailing through check in to pay the corkage.

Anyone have any tips about how to best manage this - I am traveling in my own cabin but with other relatives so maybe split it up? Just want it to be the most efficient possible process.

Thanks!

We have a soft cooler on wheels, we pack the wine in it and any last minute things that didn't make it into our carry ons, it actually can clip back on to one of the carry ons after we pay the corkage fee.

We are very grateful that we are able to bring our own favorite wine on board, paying the corkage fee is well worth it. Have a great cruise!

Fortunately, I don't like wine...although I've done my best to try and do so. However, I did research wine carriers for my sister who loves the stuff. On her last 7 day cruise, she and friend bought 24 bottles on board. I suggested that she bring her own next time, paying the fee, and still be well ahead, with a brand she likes better. I did a search on Amazon and they have a bunch of "wine totes/carriers while traveling" available. You might want to do that search and, if it might be used again, see if one of those items would help.

I carried on 6 bottles on my last cruise. I used a normal "carry-on" wheeled suitcase. I think it is a 21 inch in size. I always carry bubble wrap when I travel to secure any of our purchases. So use some of it for your bottles of wine. I also always bring a cheap beach towel. It is much easier to find your seat on a beach (and not as a chair hog) when you have a unique towel. So use it to also secure your wine bottles.

The rolling bag makes it easy to bring onto the ship. You just lift it up for the security scan and the corkage payment table. But this way was very simple. I plan to do this on all future cruises (two are booked). The best thing is that after the cruise, you have an extra suitcase and packing material for purchases made by anyone in your group such as duty free alcohol. I see it as a trade: I drink wine to make room for booze. Happy Cruising.

I want to add. Even when I fly, I carry on my "wine suitcase" mostly empty. Then I stop by a wine store in the departure city and stock up with wine that I like to take on the cruise. For me, the few dollars I save are secondary to having wine that I know I enjoy. And a glass of wine in the cabin with properly paid corkage when getting ready for dinner is a true joy for me.

Edited by newbe dave

We have a soft cooler on wheels, we pack the wine in it and any last minute things that didn't make it into our carry ons, it actually can clip back on to one of the carry ons after we pay the corkage fee.

We are very grateful that we are able to bring our own favorite wine on board, paying the corkage fee is well worth it. Have a great cruise!

I second this ^^. We also have a soft sided cooler on wheels (long telescoping handle like a rolling carry on) that collapses and fits into our larger luggage for flying. If not flying, we use a similar but hard-sided rolling cooler. We use the cooler for wine plus sodas, cream, etc to bring on board. It also doubles as a beach cooler at our destination, we fill with ice, water bottles, soda, whatever for the beach. Look for one that has a telescoping handle for easy rolling - ours are maybe 12x10x12 inches and has a hard collapsible frame that puts the handle about hip high, and the collapsible one folds up pretty small. You can place other small carry-on luggage (totes, bags, etc) on top for rolling on board.

Looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/BLUE-Deluxe-foldable-Rolling-Cooler/dp/B007WA9CPA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404598336&sr=8-5&keywords=rolling+cooler+bags

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We just use your normal roll aboard. Wrap in some of those "extra" clothes that are handy to have in case your suitcase gets lost.

Then just wheel it to the MDR for lunch, and then your cabin will be ready.

I carried on 6 bottles on my last cruise. I used a normal "carry-on" wheeled suitcase. I think it is a 21 inch in size. I always carry bubble wrap when I travel to secure any of our purchases. So use some of it for your bottles of wine. I also always bring a cheap beach towel. It is much easier to find your seat on a beach (and not as a chair hog) when you have a unique towel. So use it to also secure your wine bottles.

The rolling bag makes it easy to bring onto the ship. You just lift it up for the security scan and the corkage payment table. But this way was very simple. I plan to do this on all future cruises (two are booked). The best thing is that after the cruise, you have an extra suitcase and packing material for purchases made by anyone in your group such as duty free alcohol. I see it as a trade: I drink wine to make room for booze. Happy Cruising.

I want to add. Even when I fly, I carry on my "wine suitcase" mostly empty. Then I stop by a wine store in the departure city and stock up with wine that I like to take on the cruise. For me, the few dollars I save are secondary to having wine that I know I enjoy. And a glass of wine in the cabin with properly paid corkage when getting ready for dinner is a true joy for me.

You sir, are a man after my own heart!

Edited by SteveH2508

You can probably have a few family members wrap them in clothing items in their carry ons. I just traveled from Venice, Italy, this last April, with two bottles of Moscato wrapped in clothing items (in my checked luggage). They both arrived safe and sound. I do like the idea of the Ziploc bags, however:)

Edited by roddy good boy

I pack mine in good solid wine cases and have a cheap Staples $30 cart carrier. Notice I have two cases here for my cruise tomorrow. There's 12 of us drinking wine. Hopefully enuf. ImageUploadedByForums1404604133.560070.jpg.2daa7f1af014cc376487c222b2e7406b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always use wine diaper bags. They are made to absorb an entire bottle of wine in case they are broken during flights. We pack them in a small-ish suitcase with other clothing. Then we bring it with us when we check-in at the cruise pier, so it is easy to pay the corkage fee. On our last two cruises on NCL, they let us tell them how many bottles we had in the bag, and pay the fee without taking everything out of the bag. You can re-use the bags, too. Have a great cruise!

what we have done is wrap each bottle in bubble wrap and get huge zip lock bags and put 2 per bag .Even if god forbid they break, its still contained within the zip lock.

PS it also works well if you are bringing home bottles of liquor, they can be put in your suitcase with clothes.

I knew I could count on my CC comrades - thanks for all the ideas! I will most likely try the soft sided cooler since I can use it for the beach as well.

Thanks again and happy cruising everyone!