Ventura luggage allowance. Anyone had to pay excess?

Hi,

Has anyone been over the 20kg luggage allowance on Thomas Cook flights to Genoa or Venice this summer? Will they let you get away with 21 or 22kg? Also 5kg hand luggage? Seems a bit mean. I know we can get toiletries etc after check in but just wondered how strict they were with the allowance.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

Has anyone been over the 20kg luggage allowance on Thomas Cook flights to Genoa or Venice this summer? Will they let you get away with 21 or 22kg? Also 5kg hand luggage? Seems a bit mean. I know we can get toiletries etc after check in but just wondered how strict they were with the allowance.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tommy, the limit is for the ship as well. It is the same as Southampton departures. Although you can take lots of luggage.

No one has reported being stopped, of course that does not say it has not happened.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Cannot comment on the specifics, but in 40 years of flying I have never heard of anyone being allowed to "get away" with overweight checked luggage. This is always weighed and if overweight excess charges are made if these are allowed on the flight. Sometimes they are not, and I have personally seen people having to open their cases and remove items to lessen the weight! The only exception I can think of is return P&O charters where your luggage is collected from outside your cabin and transferred direct to the plane - but this will have been weighed on the way out. You may possibly get away with overweight hand luggage as this is not usually weighed. I would however expect to see a severe tightening up in this area in the wake of the current security scare. Indeed, I can see hand luggage being restricted to a very small bag containing just in flight essentials and items such as small valuables. Security staff will not have time to search large bags.

You may get away with a case weighing slightly over if the other bags in your party are slightly under, but that would be about it. We had 1 case at 21kg and one at 18kg last time we flew with Thomas Cook and they didn't make us swap stuff around or charge us, at least (thank god, I've heard of job worths doing so). Being over as a group however will incur charges.

Thomas Cook also weighed our Hand Luggage. I can't speak for Thomson.

Last time we flew on Emirates, they certainly didn't make an allowance for one case weighing more and one less. I particularly asked.

It's policy with most airlines, it just depends who you get at the desk.

it's such a petty and bizarre policy. What the difference is between 2 20kg cases and a 15kg case and a 25kg case (25kg is the heaviest allowed) I will never know. I can only assume it's a means to raise more money.

It's policy with most airlines, it just depends who you get at the desk.

it's such a petty and bizarre policy. What the difference is between 2 20kg cases and a 15kg case and a 25kg case (25kg is the heaviest allowed) I will never know. I can only assume it's a means to raise more money.

What about the poor workers back when on his shift he has a 25KG case to lift, would you want to carry that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about the poor workers back when on his shift he has a 25KG case to lift, would you want to carry that?

from my iPhone using Forums

it's 2kg more than that of most long haul flights. 25kg is the maximum allowed and you can buy extra luggage allowance to take you to this. It's not as if you are going against health and safety restrictions.

it's a Non-issue.

We have been charged for over luggage on Thomson flight on P@O cruise and have had to re distribute inside with others in our party for 1kg over on another Thomson flight,and from what I know of Thomas Cook they are very keen to charge for over weight luggage and will weigh your hand luggage as well ,it's very difficult to stick to 20 kg for a 2week cruise .:(

Yes, they are much sharper on weighing both your hand luggage and case these days simply because its a great revenue earner for the company.

The weight cost in fuel for extra baggage is negligible, they know they have you captive at the airport and have no option bar putting some clothes on from your case or maybe swapping a couple of bits between bags while everyone behind you tuts, so you pay up.

It is worth checking with some airlines as an extra suitcase can be as little as £30 extra per sector and rather than skimp on some outfits or take less of everything its sometimes easier just to take an extra case.

We often do this, we did it last month for 2 weeks on Ventura, there are always trolleys so the 3 cases between 2 are easy to manage, the other half can have all the shoes she wants, I take protein shakes which are heavy, plus you have some space to bring back anything you buy, infact you could probably get enough cigarettes/spirits to cover the cost of the extra case.

Yes, they are much sharper on weighing both your hand luggage and case these days simply because its a great revenue earner for the company.

The weight cost in fuel for extra baggage is negligible, they know they have you captive at the airport and have no option bar putting some clothes on from your case or maybe swapping a couple of bits between bags while everyone behind you tuts, so you pay up.

It is worth checking with some airlines as an extra suitcase can be as little as £30 extra per sector and rather than skimp on some outfits or take less of everything its sometimes easier just to take an extra case.

We often do this, we did it last month for 2 weeks on Ventura, there are always trolleys so the 3 cases between 2 are easy to manage, the other half can have all the shoes she wants, I take protein shakes which are heavy, plus you have some space to bring back anything you buy, infact you could probably get enough cigarettes/spirits to cover the cost of the extra case.

These allowances make me smile. They are so keen to weigh your cases and make you balance out the weights if one is over and the over under. No one gives a fig however how much you buy or what it weighs once in the departure lounge. If weight is such an issue why aren't there restrictions on what you can buy in the departure lounge ?

...simply because between them they like to fleece you! The airlines fleece you at check in and then the shops, bars, cafes, lounges, wifi, massages etc fleece you in the departure lounge.

Its common knowledge in the industry that 3 or 4 hours quoted is not needed of check in and its often suggested as you get bored and will spend money.

The airlines negotiate the fees they pay the airport on lots of factors but one key negotiating factor is the spend per head of their passengers once through security.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a certain irony in that statement.

It's worth checking the airline's policy before you pack.

For instance, I recently flew to Canada with United Airlines. Excess weight (from 20kg to 30kg) was $100. Alternatively another suitcase (of 20kg) was the same price.

Accordingly, we flew with an extra case…..

When will airlines start weighing (and measuring) passengers and setting a benchmark. Once set, any weight over the combined value of a single suitcase and the person will incur a weight per kilo surcharge. Then a person well below the benchmark can add additional suitcases without charge up to the registered mark.

Measuring passengers will allow those exceeding a set width will have to pay for 2 seats allowing the person being seated next to them to travel in some comfort.

You comments please?

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I am going on Ventura on 16th July and have purchased 5k extra both ways for £20. As I won't see my luggage until I am on the ship I will take another small case as no case can be heavier than 23kg. Happy days no hand luggage.

Edited by chnw36112

The trouble with taking an extra bag is that you have to take the weight of the bag into consideration. So if the bags weight is 2kg then you are only getting 3kg of extra luggage.

I'm sure the airlines know this and so offer small extra allowances at what seem like a fair price but in fact your volume of luggage has not increased that much.

Still its cheaper than paying extra at the checkin.

Rick.

The trouble with taking an extra bag is that you have to take the weight of the bag into consideration. So if the bags weight is 2kg then you are only getting 3kg of extra luggage.

I'm sure the airlines know this and so offer small extra allowances at what seem like a fair price but in fact your volume of luggage has not increased that much.

Still its cheaper than paying extra at the checkin.

Rick.

With premium economy we are allowed 28kg but as the cases aren't allowed to be over 23kg we would have the same problem. Does anyone know if we can combine our allowance (2of us) and take 1 extra case at 10kg rather than 2 5kg cases?:)

Thanks

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

With premium economy we are allowed 28kg but as the cases aren't allowed to be over 23kg we would have the same problem. Does anyone know if we can combine our allowance (2of us) and take 1 extra case at 10kg rather than 2 5kg cases?:)

Thanks

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

Think you can pool your allowance on most airlines and take more than one case, think 3 would be fine as they always ask a check in how many cases you checking in.

Edited by chnw36112

When will airlines start weighing (and measuring) passengers and setting a benchmark. Once set, any weight over the combined value of a single suitcase and the person will incur a weight per kilo surcharge. Then a person well below the benchmark can add additional suitcases without charge up to the registered mark.

Measuring passengers will allow those exceeding a set width will have to pay for 2 seats allowing the person being seated next to them to travel in some comfort.

You comments please?

Nice idea. I certainly agree that any airline passengers whose butt, bingo wings, thighs, belly or other body part go even a millimetre into the space of the passenger sat next to them then they should be made to purchase 2 seats.

On the baggage point, although an airline may charge you per KG over your set allowance, the airport and the baggage handling agent (Swissair, ServisAir etc) charge the airline per bag loaded and not its weight, so it would never be in the airlines interest to allow Mr and Mrs Skinny an extra 3 cases!

Tommy, the limit is for the ship as well. It is the same as Southampton departures. Although you can take lots of luggage.

No one has reported being stopped, of course that does not say it has not happened.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They don't weigh luggage though at Southampton do they?

You comments please?

It would probably be considered discriminatory and not allowed by law.

some people are natrurally bigger and heavier even if not fat, why should they pay more?

I can't understand what all the fuss is about anyway. My case checked in at 12kg for a 14 night Ventura cruise ;)

It would probably be considered discriminatory and not allowed by law.

some people are natrurally bigger and heavier even if not fat, why should they pay more?

I can't understand what all the fuss is about anyway. My case checked in at 12kg for a 14 night Ventura cruise ;)

What if the 'larger' passenger overflows into the seats next to them ? Do the passengers in those seats just have to suffer ?