Women In Shorts MDR - Casual Night

[quote name='anzore']well if upsets you so much, dont patronize RCI.. im your HAL or Celebrity have strict enforcement...but everyone in life has broken at least one rule...so quit being hypocritical of short wearers.....if you did 41 in a 40 mph zone you broke a rule..big deal..its not life or death[/QUOTE]

This is a cruise board. By definition everything discussed here is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things, and pretty much a "first world problem".

Nobody thinks it's life and death, nobody is really upset (I hope) but people like to discuss things.

Here are my two cents.

First, I don't see the problem with women wearing shorts, if they are longer than mid-thigh. I saw a lot of women, ages 16 to 30, in very short skirts/dresses on formal nights last week on the Freedom. Some looked great. Others didn't. But, a pair of dressy, longer shorts are probably more appropriate than a micro mini skirt.

Second, I understand why men don't want to bring a tux/suit/sport coat and trousers, and women don't want to bring a gown or cocktail dress, in the era of checked bag fees. When you are trying to fit clothes for a week or more into a rollerboard that fits in the overhead bin, formal attire does take space.

Third, considering that MDR is an attempt to have a three-course dinner that is several steps above Chilli's or Friday's, shorts and a t-shirt does seem inappropriate.

The MDR on casual nights should be treated like a business meal in a business casual office with superiors or clients. No one expects a suit, but you probably would find the best polo shirt and Dockers in the closet.

[quote name='ckfred']
third, considering that mdr is an attempt to have a three-course dinner that is several steps above chilli's or friday's, shorts and a t-shirt does seem inappropriate. [/quote]

^^^this!!!!^^^ +1

edit: Oops, I read this as "since the mdr is attempting to serve a three-course dinner that is equal to chili's or Friday's, shorts and a t-shirt does seem appropriate". LOL! I take my +1 away. Edited by Anzura

[quote name='ckfred']

The MDR on casual nights should be treated like a business meal in a business casual office with superiors or clients. No one expects a suit, but you probably would find the best polo shirt and Dockers in the closet.[/quote]

Business, business, office, superiors, clients.

Exactly the reason I go on vacation, to get away from that!

I do agree with most of your points; the MDR on a cruise is generally nicer than Applebees or Fridays. I wouldn't walk into the MDR in a graphic t shirt and gym shorts, but I would wear a button up short sleeve or polo shirt with khaki shorts and boat shoes. Resort wear.

My sister is upset that she can't wear her "fancy" "dressy" shorts in the mdr on casual nights. Are shorts okay for women? I know that we'll see some people in shorts and it's going to be pointed out to me, just wondering what the common consensus is here.

Quite clearly, one more opinion is needed to guide the OP and the OP's sister ....

First night on board - casual - generally, no one cares too much - some times people have not received luggage and are stuck with what they have on.

Other casual dress nights:

1. It would not enter the head of 99.9% of pax and crew to think a woman was doing anything wrong to enter the MDR in a nice outfit that included "fancy" or "dressy" shorts, UNLESS she had a male companion who had on shorts or other questionable attire - guilt by association applies.

2. 70% of pax and crew would think that a man entering the MDR in shorts might be a jerk or might simply be interesting. The burden on the man to prove interesting quickly is a heavy one and not to be undertaken lightly.

The cruise lines spend thousands and thousand of dollars to present a visual ambiance in the MDR that makes people feel it is a special experience. What other diners are wearing has impact on the visual ambiance, one way or the other.

Quite clearly, one more opinion is needed to guide the OP and the OP's sister ....

First night on board - casual - generally, no one cares too much - some times people have not received luggage and are stuck with what they have on.

Other casual dress nights:

1. It would not enter the head of 99.9% of pax and crew to think a woman was doing anything wrong to enter the MDR in a nice outfit that included "fancy" or "dressy" shorts, UNLESS she had a male companion who had on shorts or other questionable attire - guilt by association applies.

2. 70% of pax and crew would think that a man entering the MDR in shorts might be a jerk or might simply be interesting. The burden on the man to prove interesting quickly is a heavy one and not to be undertaken lightly.

The cruise lines spend thousands and thousand of dollars to present a visual ambiance in the MDR that makes people feel it is a special experience. What other diners are wearing has impact on the visual ambiance, one way or the other.

84.7% of all statistics are simply made up on the spot.

Sigh, it really doesn't matter what anyone's opinion is. The fact is the rule is no shorts in the MDR. If you choose to wear them and are asked to change, then deal with it.

Sigh, it doesn't matter what anyone's opinion is. The fact is RCI (with rare exception) does not enforce the "no shorts rule" in the MDR. If someone else chooses to wear them and RCI allows them to be seated, then deal with it. :D

How is this rule any different from the "no drinks can be brought on board except for two bottles of wine"? Yes, that's the rule, but when someone asks if they can bring soda or water, many posts will say you can "break" that rule with no consequences.

I was actually surprised to see how dressy people were on casual nights. We enjoyed doing pictures after dinner and the kids wanted to dress up more than I would have wanted - so we wore nice slacks or skirts on casual nights and never felt over dressed. We may have been in the "dressy" section - since all the tables around us looked great every night. We had one older couple (over 80) right next to us who showed up very dressy every night - and tux/evening gown on formal night. They were so cute and I looked forward to seeing them each night. People would shake his hand and greet them as they went by.

I didn't see anyone in shorts - not even families with young kids. But I didn't see a plank either - so they probably won't make you walk one if you show up in shorts. We did get our luggage 30 minutes before dinner the first night - so did very fast showers and jeans that night. We almost had to go in shorts.

Sigh, it doesn't matter what anyone's opinion is. The fact is RCI (with rare exception) does not enforce the "no shorts rule" in the MDR. If someone else chooses to wear them and RCI allows them to be seated, then deal with it. :D

How is this rule any different from the "no drinks can be brought on board except for two bottles of wine"? Yes, that's the rule, but when someone asks if they can bring soda or water, many posts will say you can "break" that rule with no consequences.

I never said it was different now, did I? What I said is that is the rule, deal with it. So, opinion isn't the issue and never has been when there is a rule that can be enforced. An opinion doesn't change that. The same goes for the smuggling of alcohol, deal with it. I do neither and I've never told anyone to break any rule. But, comparing the two makes little sense. You can be kicked off for smuggling alcohol (doesn't mean you will), but not for wearing shorts. It doesn't matter whether they enforce the rule or not 100% of the time. What matters is that if someone chooses to ignore or break the rules, then they have to deal with it. That's all I said.

Why is when someone comes on and asks an opinion about something they already know the answer to, that people come out of the woodwork to tell them to ignore the rules? If it's a rule that's in place, and you choose to ignore it, then the onus is on you, not the cruiseline. There's always a group of people, everywhere you go that think the only way to do anything is to go against the rules. It's like a challenge for them, but that doesn't change the rules whether they are enforced or not. Or, it's the people who would never personally break a rule encouraging others to do so because they get a thrill out of it.

Edited by BND

I never said it was different now, did I? What I said is that is the rule, deal with it. So, opinion isn't the issue and never has been when there is a rule that can be enforced. An opinion doesn't change that. The same goes for the smuggling of alcohol, deal with it. I do neither and I've never told anyone to break any rule. But, comparing the two makes little sense. You can be kicked off for smuggling alcohol (doesn't mean you will), but not for wearing shorts. It doesn't matter whether they enforce the rule or not 100% of the time. What matters is that if someone chooses to ignore or break the rules, then they have to deal with it. That's all I said.

Why is when someone comes on and asks an opinion about something they already know the answer to, that people come out of the woodwork to tell them to ignore the rules? If it's a rule that's in place, and you choose to ignore it, then the onus is on you, not the cruiseline. There's always a group of people, everywhere you go that think the only way to do anything is to go against the rules. It's like a challenge for them, but that doesn't change the rules whether they are enforced or not.

Actually, I agree with you. If someone wears shorts to the MDR and they're turned away, they should go change or eat elsewhere (in other words "deal with it").

HOWEVER, based on posts here and the (granted two) cruises I've been on, RARELY is someone turned away from the MDR. So which group should really learn to "deal with it"? Those who say they should be allowed to wear shorts, or those who say "it's the rule, follow it!"?

Another way to look at it is if RCI, who made the rule, doesn't care enough to enforce the rule, why does it become the responsibility of other cruisers?

If having someone wear shorts to the dining room is that offensive to you, complain to RCI.

You are arguing "law" over etiquette or basic decorum. They have asked you to not wear certain items in their dining room. They expect your to follow their request. But they are more the host in this situation than the law. Yes - if it is disgusting or flagrant, they would probably try to quietly deal with the problem. If it broke their rule, but was within tasteful guidelines, they may "turn the other cheek" to keep things running smoothly.

Similarly if you host a party and one of the guests didn't show up following a certain request (maybe 'come in costume' or "bring a dish to share") most people would not slam the door in their face. That doesn't mean you didn't insult the host or possibly the other guests, just that they are going to rise above the situation and deal with it.

But if etiquette or basic decorum isn't on someones list of things they care about - then they can do as they wish and let the cards fall where they may.

This is still going???? rotf.gif

Without me having to catch up since yesterday, have there been a solution yet????

Well let's do this....... Since CC makes up no where near the majority of the cruising public, why do all of us CC Members take a vote on wearing shorts or not wearing shorts in the MDR and whatever the majority votes on then that is what all of us CC Members will start wearing on the cruise to dinner regardless of what the majority of the non CC cruising public and first time cruisers wear but once we get on the ships we will get all them on board to wear what we voted on here to wear also......genius isn't it???! rotf.gif

You are arguing "law" over etiquette or basic decorum. They have asked you to not wear certain items in their dining room. They expect your to follow their request. But they are more the host in this situation than the law. Yes - if it is disgusting or flagrant, they would probably try to quietly deal with the problem. If it broke their rule, but was within tasteful guidelines, they may "turn the other cheek" to keep things running smoothly.

Similarly if you host a party and one of the guests didn't show up following a certain request (maybe 'come in costume' or "bring a dish to share") most people would not slam the door in their face. That doesn't mean you didn't insult the host or possibly the other guests, just that they are going to rise above the situation and deal with it.

But if etiquette or basic decorum isn't on someones list of things they care about - then they can do as they wish and let the cards fall where they may.

So now it's insulting to wear shorts? Who knew? :rolleyes:

You invite 20 people to a costume party. 18 of them arrive in costume, 2 do not. You, as the "gracious host" tell the 2 in costume you'd rather them stay. Do the other 18 guests have the right to tell the other 2 they shouldn't have shown up or should have left?

Aren't both groups going against the "hosts" wishes? One group isn't following the hosts request, the other group isn't willing to let the "host" decide what's allowed.

Another way to look at it is if RCI, who made the rule, doesn't care enough to enforce the rule, why does it become the responsibility of other cruisers?

Ah, the red herring argument of "its not the responsibility of other cruisers to enforce" again. For the record (again), I don't think ANYONE has ever suggested that its up to cruisers to enforce the rule aboard ship. Nor do I think anyone has ever claimed that they've seen any cruiser aboard ship trying to enforce it. Can we dispense with that red herring now?

This is still going???? rotf.gif

Without me having to catch up since yesterday, have there been a solution yet????

Well let's do this....... Since CC makes up no where near the majority of the cruising public, why do all of us CC Members take a vote on wearing shorts or not wearing shorts in the MDR and whatever the majority votes on then that is what all of us CC Members will start wearing on the cruise to dinner regardless of what the majority of the non CC cruising public and first time cruisers wear but once we get on the ships we will get all them on board to wear what we voted on here to wear also......genius isn't it???! rotf.gif

Someone actually did a poll, a week or two ago. Guess what? It came out damn close to 50-50! :D

Ah, the red herring argument of "its not the responsibility of other cruisers to enforce" again. For the record (again), I don't think ANYONE has ever suggested that its up to cruisers to enforce the rule aboard ship. Nor do I think anyone has ever claimed that they've seen any cruiser aboard ship trying to enforce it. Can we dispense with that red herring now?

But plenty of folks (cruisers) have determined it's up to them to enforce the rule here (you know, all those posts who say everyone should follow the rules).

If you honestly thought I was suggesting there are cruisers enforcing the rules on board, I don't know how to help you.

[quote name='bigque;

Well let's do this....... Since CC makes up no where near the majority of the cruising public' date=' why do all of us CC Members take a vote on wearing shorts or not wearing shorts in the MDR and whatever the majority votes on then that is what all of us CC Members will start wearing on the cruise to dinner regardless of what the majority of the non CC cruising public and first time cruisers wear but once we get on the ships we will get all them on board to wear what we voted on here to wear also......genius isn't it???![/quote']

This may be the longest run on sentence ever. I got winded reading it.